Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2000 Ram 1500 4x4 intermittent clunking - transmission?

Ellegon
03-03-2004, 08:28 PM
Hi everyone - forum newbie here. I have a 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 quad cab 4x4 - motor is a 318 / 8 cyl. I have been experiencing an intermittent clunking when driving in 4x4. It's quite loud, and seemed to be coming from the front passenger side. It began all of a sudden about 3-4 months ago while I was in 4 High at about 45-50 mph / 90 KMH, and can happen repeatedly every couple of seconds, especially at higher RPMs, or when under load stress. It can, also, disappear for a while at a time - I drove for an hour over back roads the other week without a problem. Driving in 2 wheel drive causes no noise or clunking at all. I have had it in to two separate garages and have had the following checked: new tires all around, new torsion bar, new CV joint on passenger side, checked and replaced problem bearings, or ensured that the old ones didn't have enough play to cause the problem, checked brakes, wheel alignments, and multiple other checks that I admit I am not very familiar with, all around the passenger front wheel assembly. The mechanics working on it seem to be trustworthy, and are suggesting that the only remaining place to check is the transfer case, and to replace it. Any of you mechanics have any better ideas before I shell out $1700?:O)

I should add that I got the new tires earlier this week, and promptly the next day got stuck in some deep snow. After trying pretty hard to get out on my own, I got pulled out, and when I got mobile again, I discovered that the passenger side CV joint had sheared itself off in my attempt to use 4x4. That was replaced earlier today, along with the ?shaft? that it connects to. I placed it in 4x4 this evening, and was able to generate the clunking noise still. Like I mentioned before, the 2 wheel drive works normally, so the problem is definitely somewhere in the front, or nearer the transmission. Any and all replies or suggestions welcome. Thanks.

Anaudiophile
03-06-2004, 02:13 AM
Sounds like the techs you have working on it are just guessing at the problem. If they would use something like a chassis ear and drive the truck they could nail it down without too much of a problem!!

Ellegon
03-06-2004, 09:41 PM
Sounds like the techs you have working on it are just guessing at the problem. If they would use something like a chassis ear and drive the truck they could nail it down without too much of a problem!!

That's a good idea, Anaudiophile. Never thought of that, actually - thanks!

Add your comment to this topic!