Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

wipers wont shut off and retract under hood

vljsbs
03-03-2004, 06:00 PM
1993 buick lesabre
wipers will not shut off have to shut off switch in between delay and off in order to get them to stop, but they will not retract to bottom of windshield

gonenuts15792
04-09-2004, 09:07 PM
I don't know about the wipers not shutting off, but I have had the same problem with the wipers not retracting to the bottom of the windshield (I believe the feature that you are talking about is the hide away wipers). My wipers wouldn't hide away because snow and ice had stopped the wipers from going all the way down, and eventually the wiper motors became stripped and never retracted back to the hide away position. The only way to fix this is to install new wiper motors.

grandcherostang
08-10-2004, 09:25 PM
hi there -
two things can cause this -
1- the ice build-up in the winter was just enought to strip the splines on the wiper arms just a bit, to make them offset, but still grab.
2- the wiper module might need to be replaced, (on some gm cars , you can swap just the module in the motor, without getting a whole wiper motor) (just make sure u get one with or without deliay, just like the one you have in your car)
-grandchrerostang

Add your comment to this topic!