Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

The BEST AFTERMARKET PARTS

jjonathanj1
03-03-2004, 12:59 PM
I bent several valves in my head. I am wanting to know what brand is reallty the best. i want to go ahead and replace everthing in the head (cams, cam gears, valves, retainers, springs, and head if i can find a better one.) What are the best for each component? IS skunk 2 an alright brand to go with?

jcrx
03-03-2004, 02:02 PM
What are you trying to accomplish? If you're not going to be using some sick cams, there's no reason to go with an aftermarket valvetrain. If you say want to run Toda spec B's or Skunk2 stage 2 or up, yea use the springs, but for say ITR/CTR cams, you can use the stock springs, as long as you don't rev higher than the stock rev limit. As far as valves go, the OEM ones are absolutely fine.

jjonathanj1
03-03-2004, 02:11 PM
i want some sick cams but it is hard to choose between which brand i heard skunk cams are not as good as crower. Is the all-motor cams alright for street driving?

jcrx
03-03-2004, 02:18 PM
There's a lot more to it than just swapping some cams. Ok, now say you have stage 3's and the valvetrain is all good, you have to upgrade your intake system, and I don't mean just a CAI, I'm talking about the intake manifold and throttlebody too, it's no use to open your valves any further when there's nothing more coming in, right? Also, when you use lumpy cams, like the stage 3's or Spec C's, and you're sucking in all that air, you HAVE to have a higher CR, or your just going to be sucking too much air, and it's going to be shit, that along with upgrading your fuel system to mix with all that air.

A motor is one big machine, and all the parts have to be built to each other for it to work right. You can't have a fully built head on a stock block, it's useless.

jjonathanj1
03-03-2004, 02:57 PM
ok i understand what you are saying i cant afford to do all that at ounce. if i get stage 2 cams or three will it be ok till i raise compressionand the fuel?

jcrx
03-03-2004, 03:00 PM
Stage2+ requires an upgraded valvetrain. Other than you can do it in pieces, the results just won't seem as big as if you did it all at once.

jjonathanj1
03-03-2004, 03:37 PM
This is what i want to do, http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/default.asp?brandCd=CROW+subcategorycd=CAMS What do you think? I have a cai and stock fuel, compression, and a custom 2.5 inch exhaust with dc sport 4-1 headers.

Add your comment to this topic!