Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2003 4Runner door lock problems

allanbu
03-03-2004, 11:33 AM
I have 2 problems with door locks, maybe related, who knows?

1. After driving, when I turn the car off, and try to open the drivers side door, it often is not completely unlatched. It takes two tries of the door handle to open the door almost every time.

2. If I drive somewhere and leave the car for a few minutes and do not lock it (say running into a convenience store for 2-3 minutes), when I come back out sometimes the doors have locked by themselves. The unlock button on the keyless remote will not unlock them and sometimes the key will not work. I have to hit lock, and then unlock, on the keyless remote to open the doors. Strangely, this only happens sometimes. When I am leaving the car for a long time, I always lock it with the keyless remote and the problem doesn't have a chance to occur.

any ideas?

thanks all

allanbu
03-17-2004, 02:22 PM
In case anyone is interested, I just got my 4Runner back from the dealer, and sure enough, they said the two problems were related. The car was not set at the factory to automatically unlock the doors when the transmission is put in Park. They reset it to do this, and when I put it in Park when I got back, I clearly heard the doors unlock and realized I have not been hearing this previously. Hopefully this does also take care of problem 2.

And a side comment: this was my first trip to the Toyota dealer for service since I am just coming up on 5000 miles. Every step of the experience (making the appointment, checking in, getting the problems fixed, actually getting my car back on time) was infinitely better than what I endured with my previous car, a Chrysler.

Brian R.
03-17-2004, 05:29 PM
I hope that fixed it. Good dealer...

Add your comment to this topic!