Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

95 SSEI Check Engine Light and Radio Codes

dobaas
03-03-2004, 10:11 AM
Check Engine Light comes on and off intermittently, has been happening for a few weeks now. The car starts and runs good, no problems, well a slight hesitation when going up hills, but otherwise OK, except for a strange smell, like a bad exhaust smell, something that has burnt.?
The smell lasts for a few minutes and goes away. Took it to the Autozone and said that they couldn't read any codes, looks like the code thing is broke. Any help would be great!

Recent bad battery was replaced and now I have LOC on my radio display, how can I get the radio working again?

Thanks

jkinney
03-03-2004, 05:08 PM
Sounds like your Cat converter could be getting clogged up. And the Anti-Theft lock feature was enabled when you lost power to your radio, you'll have to get the code to unlock it from the dealer.

dobaas
03-04-2004, 02:36 PM
Thanks, is there anything out there that can be used to unclog it?
The smell is getting worse, I'm at the point where I need to spend some $$$ now.
Also, I actually find in this bonneville forum down further a subject about radio codes and was abled to obtain them.

jkinney
03-05-2004, 06:27 PM
Good deal on the codes, actually the only legal way to repair the cat converter, is to replace it.

dobaas
03-08-2004, 10:16 AM
Do you know where the PCM is for my '95 SSEI, here's a link that I found that can assist, but I don't know where to look. Also, I went to Autozone and they hooked up the scanner and tried several, but, the scanner kept saying LINK ERROR. I'm still getting the check engine light, but the car runs fine...

http://www.actron.com/cgi-bin/web_store.cgi?page=gm_9495.htm&cart_id=6034772_56631

jkinney
03-08-2004, 01:27 PM
Your PCM will be located under the dash on the passenger side (look up from where your feet would go,...on the firewall) It rides in a white plastic carriage, that you will have to unlock two "live" hinged clips to release. I would venture to say that they (Autozone) made the common mistake of trying to hook up a OBD-II meter, when they should use a OBD-I meter with a OBD-II adapter. 94's and 95's were the hybrid years and still used OBD-I systems (check your emissions label under hood) and need a 16 pin adaptor for it. It doesnt do any harm, it just wont be able to read anything because it will give an error, and they will think the PCM is trashed,...NOT.

Add your comment to this topic!