Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Tamiya grey primer with Auto Acrylic sprays?

7th_skyline
03-03-2004, 02:56 AM
Will this be ok?
I have got enough tamiya grey primer left over to cover my stripped R31 shell. I also have the Holts Duplicolor paints to top coat it.
The question is, will they be ok to use together?
I'm using Holts clear plastic trim primer on my good R31 GTS-R body, but this is for the older one I have paintstripped , which really needs a primer to cover some of the blemishes...
so will it work?

Verminator
03-03-2004, 06:48 AM
Thin coats may work ok, even though its acrylic it may have solvents in it. IMO you would be safer to buy some auto primer of the same make to be sure of compatability.

Bangai-o
03-03-2004, 07:38 AM
I painted the GT3 in my signature with halfords automotive paints over Tamiya greay primer and it was fine, look at the thread to see the results!

SCUDERIA-FERRARI
03-03-2004, 08:29 PM
Is The Duplicolor Laquer ?
IF ITS LAQUER OR ENAMEL THEN YOU WONT HAVE A PROBLEM BUT IF IT IS ENAMEL YOU NEED TO CLEAR COAT IT W/ ENAMEL ! THE MAIN RULE OF THUMB IS TO HAVE LAQUER UNDER ENAMEL ALWAYS !

7th_skyline
03-03-2004, 11:36 PM
Its Holts Duplicolor, I think it is acrylic lacquer? it says on the back "This Acrylic Lacquer...." . Then again, looking at my clear Holts plastic trim Primer, it says "This Acrylic Lacquer..." and even "use plastic trim primer on plastic..." :rolleyes:

Fairly sure its acrylic.

Add your comment to this topic!