Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2002 C32 AMG (3.2L) transmission concerns

kurtlclark
03-02-2004, 03:43 PM
Has anyone seen any trans concerns with these vehicles? The vehicle that I am looking at has a very hard shift when in bumper to bumper traffic, start - stop, start - stop, ect. This is a MB rebuilt trans as the original was damaged when the radiator failed causing trans and coolant intermix. The vehicle overall has had numerous concerns but the trans is the only one left. Any ideas or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

blindside.AMG
03-02-2004, 10:17 PM
Has anyone seen any trans concerns with these vehicles? The vehicle that I am looking at has a very hard shift when in bumper to bumper traffic, start - stop, start - stop, ect. This is a MB rebuilt trans as the original was damaged when the radiator failed causing trans and coolant intermix. The vehicle overall has had numerous concerns but the trans is the only one left. Any ideas or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Not many problems with the C-class transmission at all. One thing to consider; MB transmissions learn the driving style of the driver. If this car is an AMG I'm guessing the driver might drive the car hard when he has the chance. The transmission learns this and delays upshifts as well as making shifts harder. The transmission will carry this behavior over even when you're in stop-and-go traffic for a while. One way to remedy this is to switch the transmission into W (winter) or ,C (comfort) in newer models. This will start the car in 2nd gear making it a lot smoother (especially in AMG models). AMG models are sports cars, they are a lot less forgiving than regular MBs.

Add your comment to this topic!