Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2000 Lesabre window regulator

casey10
03-01-2004, 09:43 PM
My 2000 Lesabre with only 41K need a new rear window motor and regulator. The dealer part is $310.00. Any alternatives? How hard to install? Others have this problem?
Thanks

clineger
05-23-2004, 12:05 AM
Bad design. Both of my 2000 Lesabre rear window regulators are broken. When you remove it the old cable is a birds nest mess. The swedged cable end pulls through the "plastic" portion of the assebly. As you continue to try to roll up the window. You are making things worse. I fixed one of mine using 1/16 inch bicycle cable and 1/16 inch wire stop. It is not a very difficult repair. If this cable does not work, I'll fix it again with real cable from McMaster Carr.

NullReference
11-13-2004, 09:21 AM
Bad design. Both of my 2000 Lesabre rear window regulators are broken. When you remove it the old cable is a birds nest mess. The swedged cable end pulls through the "plastic" portion of the assebly. As you continue to try to roll up the window. You are making things worse. I fixed one of mine using 1/16 inch bicycle cable and 1/16 inch wire stop. It is not a very difficult repair. If this cable does not work, I'll fix it again with real cable from McMaster Carr.
Thanks for you posts guys, I had the birds nest in my rear passenger door on a 2002 LeSabre. I was "fortunate" enough to pick up a new assembly on ebay for $99 just to get the repair over with.

Since this seems common, I'm also wondering about picking up an extra cable. Clineger, what part are you refering to at McMaster Carr? How can I find the original cable. Of course, the dealer just wants to sell me the $320 regulator and motor combo. You know, because the $2 cable is bad...

11-13-2004, 03:28 PM
Check out AutoZones website. (It's easier than trying to get the monkey on the phone to understand what you want.) It might take a bit of cussing, but you can probably find the part listed there, aftermarket, for a lot cheaper.

Also... they put a cable in the door to run the window up and down??? My 95 is gear driven with a coil spring... never had a problem. Cables are evil... I wonder who came up with that design... that's just dumb. They've eliminated every other cable from the car (minus the trottle, gear selector, and parking brake) and now they are adding more cables?

NullReference
11-13-2004, 03:41 PM
Thanks, I'll see what I can find at AutoZone.com. Here is the part and where I bought it. http://www.1aauto.com/1A/WindowMotors/Buick/LeSabre/1AWRG00122/45907

That's great compared to the dealer.

There is a 1.25" wheel that the cable threads itself around. As the motor turns the wheel, the wheel gives slack to one side while winding the other side. Obviously not a good design.

Add your comment to this topic!