Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

popping/clanking noise?

95yukon
03-01-2004, 06:01 PM
for a while my car has made a clanking noise when i shift or accelerated from stop sometimes but from looking at other forums it sounds like it happens to a lot of cars and dealerships are discouraged from fixing the problem because it is so common or something....recently my car started making a popping noise when i accelerate or when the car seems to be under some stress (hills, trailer, etc) does anyone know what the problem is? i'm guessing its either the u-joint or cv-joints...hopefully the u-joint. any ideas would be helpful thanks

-lex

amac209
03-02-2004, 02:08 AM
where's the noise coming from?? check all the u-joints, motor mounts, tranny mount. if it's a front end noise check balljoints(always go out on chevys) swaybar links, tierods, idler/pitman arms.

95yukon
03-02-2004, 04:22 PM
i do a lot of off roading and the boots around the ball joints have been out for a while and i didn't know that they had grease fitting cause they were always caked in mud...they squeeked for a while but i greased them up and it went away...at first i thought it was coming from the rear but now it sounds like the front. thanks for the help

amac209
03-02-2004, 08:56 PM
check them for wear. many people have had fatal accidents because a balljoint wears through and the wheel flops sideways. heres how to check them.
jack up the lower control arm(unloads balljoints) try to shake the wheel from top to bottom this checks side to side play there should be none. now pry the wheel up and down this checks up and down play chevy allows for a little bit of up and down if theres more than 1/8" replace them.

95yukon
03-03-2004, 10:33 AM
i'm noticed some side to side play lately when i've been taking the tire off to clean the brakes so thats probably what it is

Add your comment to this topic!