Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

94 LeSabre Intermittent Start

trumanmc
03-01-2004, 05:18 PM
I have a 94 LeSabre that sometimes won't start. When this happens there is no fire at the plugs. The fuel pressure is fine. The engine turns over fine. You can let it sit for a few minutes and it will crank and may not do it again for days but it is getting more frequent.
Thanks for any help.
Truman

ghink
03-03-2004, 04:28 AM
Had exactly the same issue with my 94 LaSabre especially when it was hot. Poured ice cold water on the crankshaft sensor and car started. Replaced crankshaft sensor and all is fine.

raybuick
03-19-2004, 10:48 PM
I had the same problem too with 94 regal 3.8. Mine started off stalling once in while and over a couple of years it would stall or not restart after driving it and parking it. After replacing crankshaft sensor, I've been good since November. It fires right up all the time. :angryfire I've learned that if the sensor intermittently fails, the ecm doesn't get the signal to give spark.Good luck and post your results.

MDEM88
04-30-2004, 11:35 PM
I have a 94 LeSabre that sometimes won't start. When this happens there is no fire at the plugs. The fuel pressure is fine. The engine turns over fine. You can let it sit for a few minutes and it will crank and may not do it again for days but it is getting more frequent.
Thanks for any help.
Truman
Same goes here :banghead: A new battery, 2 starters, new coil packs later....Car still won't start..especially after i have driven for a while..I turn it off...and it won't start at all right away...sometimes after a few minutes..sometimes hours and hours...Im soo frustrated..a friend is changing the crankshaft sensor later today...wish me luck!!

Maverick_53
11-12-2005, 12:10 AM
Question???
Can anyone tell me if the check engine light came on for the faulty(intermittent) crank shaft sensor?If so did it leave a DTC code?
I have a very similar problem on a 97.
Thanks Maverick

HotZ28
11-12-2005, 06:55 AM
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=217926&page=1&pp=15&highlight=crank+position+sensor+replacement
Crank position sensor - '95 LeSabre Dies Without Warning

Ron AKA
11-12-2005, 09:13 AM
I have been having similar issues and found this good article which does a good job of explaining the basic starting system, and this intemittant no start problem which seems to be too common in these GM vehicles. Further they suggest many times parts are replaced unnecessarily (such as the crank position sensor & DIS module). It may be just the connections or other issues. I have found my coil resistance high when the vehicle is cold, and it gets better after it runs.

"GM addressed this concern in Service Bulletin 88-
6E-18. Some vehicles may experience an intermittent
no-start condition (“Cranks But Won’t Run”),
due to an intermittent electrical connection between
DIS module and crankshaft sensor. The nostart
is most likely to occur when the engine is cold.
Examination of their warranty material has shown
that the connection problem was being improperly
diagnosed as a DIS module condition, resulting in
repeated come-backs and customer dissatisfaction.
Because the integrity of the connection between
the module and crankshaft sensor is provided
by the terminal design, replacing the DIS
module will not provide a lasting fix for the intermittent
condition."

http://www.mightyautoparts.com/pdf/articles/tt76.pdf

Ron

maxwedge
11-12-2005, 11:13 AM
This is the reference wire from the sensor and was a common problem at the connections and or harness chafing. This will not affect coil resistances, seperate issue.

Add your comment to this topic!