Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

New to 4WD Tacoma

venus423
03-01-2004, 01:06 PM
Hi! I just bought a 2000 Toyota Tacoma. I've never had a 4WD truck before, and need some help with learning how to engage it, when to engage it, etc. The owner's manual is missing, and I have ordered a replacement, but it won't arrive for a couple of weeks. And I am dying to hit some of my favorite off-road spots this week and coming weekend.

I would greatly appreciate any advice and instruction you may have for me. My Tacoma has the locking hubs on the front wheels. But I also see that I have H2, H4, N and L4 on the shifter. Ok, call me clueless, but I really am clueless! When do I use the various options? Under what conditions?

Thanks for any help, and by the way, this is a pretty awesome forum!

big_john
03-01-2004, 01:24 PM
H2 means you are in 2WD. Shifting to H4(shift below 45MPH), puts you in 4WD. You don't have to
engage the clutch to do this whether going from two wheel drive to four wheel drive or vice versa.

To go to L4, STOP the vehicle, use the clutch and go through N(neutral) to L4. You are in a very low gear ratio for sloooow cruising but with a lot of torque. ALWAYS STOP before going back to regular H4 or H2. Use the clutch whenever going into our out of L4. OK?

venus423
03-01-2004, 01:40 PM
Thanks for the input. However, my Tacoma is an automatic. Do I still have to go pause at Neutral to engage L4? What about the locking hubs -- when going into H4, do I still need to lock the hubs? Or is that only for L4?

And again, thanks!

H2 means you are in 2WD. Shifting to H4(shift below 45MPH), puts you in 4WD. You don't have to
engage the clutch to do this whether going from two wheel drive to four wheel drive or vice versa.

To go to L4, STOP the vehicle, use the clutch and go through N(neutral) to L4. You are in a very low gear ratio for sloooow cruising but with a lot of torque. ALWAYS STOP before going back to regular H4 or H2. Use the clutch whenever going into our out of L4. OK?

'03DC3.4TRD4X4
03-01-2004, 03:32 PM
before using 4 wheel drive at all, lock in your manual hubs! Then shift into 4hi while driving at a reasonable speed in a straight line. when you do this it is not necessary to shift into neutral, just let up on the gas and move the lever into 4hi. also this is best done under 40 mph. do not exceed 45 mph for an extended period of time in 4hi. To shift to 4lo, come to a complete stop and shift the transmission into neutral, then shift into 4lo. drop the transmission back into drive and accellerate slightly and 4lo will engage. do not exceed 20 mph in 4lo. It is best to only use 4 wheel drive on slick surfaces like gravel, mud, sand, wet pavement etc. turning sharply while the 4 wheel drive is engaged will and should cause a jerking of the steering wheel. The only time it won't is if you are on an extremly slick surface like ice, snow or mud. Before you hit the highway again, come to a stop, shift back into 2hi and drive for a few feet until you feel the transfer case disengage or the 4wd light goes off. then unlock the front hubs and drive as usual. Congrats on your new truck!!!

Add your comment to this topic!