Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

remote starter

cmalinowski
03-01-2004, 09:59 AM
All,
I just purchased an 04 denali xl. I got the nav and sunroof, but that's not really germane to this thread. Anyway, I had a remote starter with my old car. It was part of the viper alarm I had put in.

I was wondering what features, if any, I would lose by puting in a remote starter for the denali. I would guess I would have to use the key FOB of the alarm/starter people, correct? So, there goes the #1 and #2 driver FOBs supplied with the vehicle. So my automatic seat adjustments would not work without pushing the buttons I am guessing, correct? What else would I lose, and what is the best remote starter that won't interfere with any of the existing systems (or at least the minimal amount)?

Thanks,
Chris

ponchonutty
03-02-2004, 07:20 AM
All,
I just purchased an 04 denali xl. I got the nav and sunroof, but that's not really germane to this thread. Anyway, I had a remote starter with my old car. It was part of the viper alarm I had put in.

I was wondering what features, if any, I would lose by puting in a remote starter for the denali. I would guess I would have to use the key FOB of the alarm/starter people, correct? So, there goes the #1 and #2 driver FOBs supplied with the vehicle. So my automatic seat adjustments would not work without pushing the buttons I am guessing, correct? What else would I lose, and what is the best remote starter that won't interfere with any of the existing systems (or at least the minimal amount)?

Thanks,
Chris
Well, you have a few choices. Actually, I sell a brand called Automate which is made from DEI like Viper but this is their top of the line. It is also only availible through car dealers not not retail. Anyway, they have a remote starter that is set up to be used with your existing keyless entry. It is made that way so you do not lose the driver's presets. Now, the downside is the lack of range compared to the other Automate and Viper items. You can also look into those 2-way remotes too! www.directed.com

If you choose to go with DEI's remotes, not all is lost. If you go to a DEI dealer that knows what they are doing, they will be using a special interface for the locks and alarm. This is automatically be set up for driver #1. So, the worst thing would be that your wife or who ever else drives the car won't have them automatically switch back like it does for you. Now, I am not sure but I know some of the GM vehicles will switch from #1&2 with the keys too. If you start the car with one key it should read which one you are using and change all the presets.

Hope this helps.

cmalinowski
03-02-2004, 08:35 AM
Well, you have a few choices. Actually, I sell a brand called Automate which is made from DEI like Viper but this is their top of the line.
Top of the line is fine as long as it doesn't screw anything up. I went to the directed website and can't find anything on the Automate brand... Any thoughts?

Now, the downside is the lack of range compared to the other Automate and Viper items.
No biggy. My Viper had crappy range too. As long as I can start if from my kitchen window, I am pretty darn happy.

Thanks a bunch for the info. I live in MD. Do you know who the best DEI dealer is around here? I went to sound solutions for my last install, and they did an OK job, but I really do want the best this time around.

Thanks again.

Chris

ponchonutty
03-02-2004, 07:34 PM
Top of the line is fine as long as it doesn't screw anything up. I went to the directed website and can't find anything on the Automate brand... Any thoughts?

No biggy. My Viper had crappy range too. As long as I can start if from my kitchen window, I am pretty darn happy.

Thanks a bunch for the info. I live in MD. Do you know who the best DEI dealer is around here? I went to sound solutions for my last install, and they did an OK job, but I really do want the best this time around.

Thanks again.

Chris
DEI is very funny about this line. YOu can read the owner's guides by gong to http://directed.com/guides/ogs.asp and looking about 1/2 way down. Look at the AM line, that's the newest ones. You could also call 800-876-0800 and asking for the nearest dealers or even call your car dealership.

As far as the Viper having poor range, your installer either didn't run the antenna properly or they sold you a 551v unit. Those had terrible range. My units usually have at least 1000'. If you opt for the factory keyless to work the system, you'll be lucky to get 75'-100'. Now, there are some aftermarket unterface items that can operate the owner reconition features. I know with the Automate line, it can distinguish between the remotes if you use the Bitwriter programmer. Also, the remotes are very OEM looking too instead of the old 2button remotes!

cmalinowski
03-04-2004, 06:10 AM
Wow, thanks for this info. I will check out the manual and contact DEI about what my options are. Do you know which automate I should be looking at?

I may have more questions in the future to ask if you don't mind.

Thanks again,
Chris

ponchonutty
03-04-2004, 07:41 AM
No problem. No, any of the AM line will be great. I sell a lot of the AM6 which is simply just a remote start with keyless entry. If you want a 2-way remote, you'll have to go with the alarm combo or go to one of the other lines line Python or Viper.

cmalinowski
03-05-2004, 04:05 PM
Wow, this just keeps getting worse and worse. I called DEI, and they were of little help at all. They said that they wouldn't know which model is best for my vehicle and I would have to call a local DEI dealer to get that info. So, I did. And they said that I can't do it without having two remotes or I'd lose all of my denali functionality that the factory key FOBs give me.

I am going to check with DEI again and see if they have anyone smarter on the payroll than the guy that I got. My guess is that he put down his broom to answer the phone. At least, that is my hope since any company that knows nothing about their products should not be in business.

This is amazingly difficult...

ponchonutty
03-05-2004, 04:18 PM
Wow, this just keeps getting worse and worse. I called DEI, and they were of little help at all. They said that they wouldn't know which model is best for my vehicle and I would have to call a local DEI dealer to get that info. So, I did. And they said that I can't do it without having two remotes or I'd lose all of my denali functionality that the factory key FOBs give me.

I am going to check with DEI again and see if they have anyone smarter on the payroll than the guy that I got. My guess is that he put down his broom to answer the phone. At least, that is my hope since any company that knows nothing about their products should not be in business.

This is amazingly difficult...
Huh? Not sure what happened there. Let me talk directly to one of the high end techs and see what he says. Did the local dealer say anything about adding the RS to your remotes?

ponchonutty
03-05-2004, 05:02 PM
OK, he did confirm what I said eariler. If the installer uses part # 456g to intergrate into the doorlocks/alarm system, it WILL do driver presets but only for driver #1. So, if your wife uses her remote, everything would be to your presets until she starts it with the key or presses the button on the door. Now, if she does that then you use your RS remote, it will change back to your presets.

cmalinowski
03-06-2004, 07:25 AM
Thanks again for the additional info.

OK, I'm going to try and find a dei dealer around here (MD) who seems to be as knowledgable as you. Until then, I'm not letting anyone touch my vehicle... Maybe that seven hour plus trip to ohio would be worth it :-)

ponchonutty
03-06-2004, 02:08 PM
I'd hate to imagine that you'd have to travel that far to find a good DEI shop! Good luck and make sure to ask around. Word of mouth is the only way I advertise!!!!

zutoo
03-09-2004, 06:35 PM
If the factory anti-theft system has an extra channel you can just add a remote start system and it can be programmed to work off the factory remote.

ponchonutty
03-09-2004, 07:36 PM
If the factory anti-theft system has an extra channel you can just add a remote start system and it can be programmed to work off the factory remote.
Trust me, there is not one OEM keyless or alarm that has an extra channel. They are all very simple. To access those to make a remote start work you first must get the right remote start. There are those from DEI that have no keyless entry about them. They simply work off of inputs. Usually what is done is that you hook them up to the lock output from the keyless entry. You then make the remote start to activate say when you press the lock button 3x or what ever you want.

Add your comment to this topic!