Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Help Me swap my engine.

TcelDuder
03-01-2004, 01:40 AM
Well here is the thing.. I'm getting a 5E-FE engine, However, the problem is that I NEVER DID AN ENGINE SWAP BEFORE. I'm only good at body work, but I've learned that with a 5E-FE engine, It can be put in Direct bolt on and that it can be done in my garage or my back yard. If you guys have this engine and you did it yourself. Help me out guys.. Im a little :banghead: and :screwy: because i dont know what to do. I have some of my family that will come and help because they did it before but their more experienced with hondas. Tell me How to swap the engine and what i will need. LIke a list and step by step how to do thing. OR give me a website that tells me how to swap a 5E-FE engine into a tercel... THANKS GUYS

turcelbo
03-16-2004, 12:53 AM
Deng mayn I'm in the same boat as you I'm swapping a 5E-FE into a 1991 'Cel so I can get rid of my 3E-E. All I know is that you need a new ECU, wiring harness and a new timing belt. You should check to see if the trans will fit also.

Tercel GTS
03-17-2004, 06:17 PM
The tranny fits :)

Schweinhund
05-14-2004, 10:20 AM
You need a service manual. The torque specs are invaluable, and it will outline everything step by step. If the engine is a direct bolt-in, then no problem. I have swapped maybe a dozen engines in Hondas and Acuras, and my girl's Tercel is going to need one soon. I looked at it and it should be a breeze, so don't be too intimidated. It's also well worth the money to change the clutch, timing belt, h2o pump and drivebelts now, and resurface the flywheel. These are easy to do with the engine out, although the Tercel is a breeze to work on. My first swap took me over a week (I kept getting stuck, and it was a very tight fitting engine) but now I do it in a day or two, start to finish, so get a friend who has done it before to help you in the garage.

Add your comment to this topic!