Avital Remote start - Radio not working.

krstofer
02-29-2004, 09:58 PM
Hi,
I am a newbie to this forum though not to civics. I always try to do the owrk on my car myself, if I have the right tools. So I got an Avital remote start 4200 for christmas and just put it in, thanks to some warm weather in Jersey. I got it in (for the most part) and it works. But now, the radio does not work.

I have an aftermarket kenwood system I installed myself and the stock radio in the Glove box to keep the keyless entry.

After getting the system in the radio doesn't work. I tested the power wire to the radio and I get 13-14 volts. I also get power from the acc. wire. The ground works because I have the Avital hooked up using the radio's ground.

I haven't checked the fuse box because I don't know which fuse it for the radio. I lost the cover to the glove box somehow.

If anyone has any ideas I would really appreciate it. I am driving around with my wires hangin all over the place!

Thanks,
Krs

ponchonutty
03-02-2004, 08:42 PM
Well, I assume you used a T-harness for the radio instead of hacking things up so that shouldn't be the problem. Now, I would check all the fuses and see if you simply blew something. Make sure the factory radio and the new radio BOTH have good grounds. Does your domelight or fact, keyless work?

SQUOSH
03-02-2004, 10:51 PM
ight let me get this straight the radio doesnt work when u remote start it and when u use the key?? if it doesnt work when u remote start it then u didnt hook up the accesory wire for the remote start if it doesnt work with key either than like the other guy said check all fuses. then go from there

krstofer
03-03-2004, 01:05 PM
It was the fuse. Actually 2 fuses which is why I was so confused. I didn't have the fusebox cover so I h ad to go through each fuse to find hte blown one. Then, since I didn't have the fuse backup I took one from somewhere else to test it. and it worked. So remote start works and the radio works.

But there is something else that is wierd. I can't hook up the wire that flashes the lights to the parking lights. If I do that the car will not start. If I hook the wire up to the headlights the car starts and the headlights blink. Has anyone else come up with this problem? Very strange!

Thanks,
Krs

SQUOSH
03-03-2004, 09:44 PM
are u sure ur hookng the right wire up? as default on all remote starts lights will flash. to change this to have them not flash u have to go to the menu and program it.

SQUOSH
03-03-2004, 09:47 PM
o check to see if the parking lights are (+) or (-) as default on remote start the brian should be set to (+) but read the manaul and find out and make sure it is right

krstofer
04-29-2004, 01:30 PM
Can you believe I neer got this to work. The problem that is happening is this:

When I start the car with the remote and turn on the lights before I turn the key, the car turns off. So if I hook up the lights, the car wont start because the lights come on. Nothing happens when the blinkers, highbeams, and lowbeams are on, only when the driving lights are on.

So weird. Does anyone have any ideas what may cause this?

Also, if anyone has any ideas about getting the door locks to work also.

Thanks,
Krstofer

ponchonutty
04-29-2004, 11:41 PM
Can you believe I neer got this to work. The problem that is happening is this:

When I start the car with the remote and turn on the lights before I turn the key, the car turns off. So if I hook up the lights, the car wont start because the lights come on. Nothing happens when the blinkers, highbeams, and lowbeams are on, only when the driving lights are on.

So weird. Does anyone have any ideas what may cause this?

Also, if anyone has any ideas about getting the door locks to work also.

Thanks,
Krstofer
Well, check these things out. Where's the small gauge brown wire from the RS hooked up to? On most Acura's it should go to the green/white wire right at the brake pedal. The white wire of the RS should be at the (+) wire of the parking lights. On a '99 Teg, it would be the red/black @ grn plug above fusebox (u never said what your ride is). Again, I can't give you much help with keyless cuz I need to know what year and model you have.

What I think has happened is that you connected the brown (brake shut down wire) to something that has (+) when lights come on. So, when the lights come on, it shuts down the RS.

krstofer
04-30-2004, 01:32 PM
Hey Ponch,
Actually I never hooked up the brake wire. I have a habit of stepping on the brake as soon as I get in the car so I would always shut the car off before I put the key it (I have an XTERRA that has remote start also, but it was a pro install)

The car I am working on is a 96 civic. I only have the necessary wires to get the car started and the neutral switch wire. I don't have the lights, horn, brake, or door locks hooked up. also I only have the remote hooked up to the accessory that runs the climate control and not the radio.

Also, I have a Chilton manual with all the color codes for the wires I am supposed to use. I am just so confused as to why this is not working.

Thanks For your help!!
Krs

sofast
05-01-2004, 08:04 AM
Your Avital 4200 will not work without the brake wire hooked up. Do you have the Gray wire off of the 5pin (H3) harness hooked up to the pin switch under your hood? Is the hood closed or the pinswitch pushed down when you activate the remote start? I think you you are catching the wrong wire for your parking lights. Are you using the white wire from your unit? If so make sure you are catching the Red/Black wire at the fuse box. Be sure to test that wire with a test light while turning your parking lights on. I am a DEI installer so if you need any help you can IM,Email,PM me. If you would like an easier wiring diagram go here http://bulldogsecurity.com/New%20Wires/New%20Wires/Wires/honcivic96-98.htm

ponchonutty
05-01-2004, 12:06 PM
Your Avital 4200 will not work without the brake wire hooked up. Do you have the Gray wire off of the 5pin (H3) harness hooked up to the pin switch under your hood? Is the hood closed or the pinswitch pushed down when you activate the remote start? I think you you are catching the wrong wire for your parking lights. Are you using the white wire from your unit? If so make sure you are catching the Red/Black wire at the fuse box. Be sure to test that wire with a test light while turning your parking lights on. I am a DEI installer so if you need any help you can IM,Email,PM me. If you would like an easier wiring diagram go here http://bulldogsecurity.com/New%20Wires/New%20Wires/Wires/honcivic96-98.htm
Dude, the RS is working even though he doesn't have it all hooked up. It's the radio he's having problems with.

Anyway, I would get some self-drilling screws and permanetely ground the remote start up under the dash, kick panel, or some other real good spot. THen, I would test the radio's wiring again. My guess is that you could have back-fed into the radio and possibly cooking it. If you truely have juice at the plug on your radio on both the memory and ignition and also have a solid ground for the radio, that's gotta be the problem.

krstofer
05-01-2004, 12:26 PM
Guys, I think I may not have stated my problem well enough.

I hooked up my remote start. I didn't use the hood switch, door locks, brake wire, or horn.

The unit is ground to the same ground as the radio.I have the unit hooked up enough to start the car and that is all. RPM, Neutral, Accessory for climate, power, ground and that's it.

I haven't had any problems with the radio since I replaced the fuse that I mentioned in post #4. The only problems I have now are the door locks not working and the car shutting off when I turn the lights on and the key is not in the on position.

Sofast, I will look at your diagram and see if it helps. Thanks.

Krs

sofast
05-01-2004, 06:03 PM
Dude, the RS is working even though he doesn't have it all hooked up. It's the radio he's having problems with.

Anyway, I would get some self-drilling screws and permanetely ground the remote start up under the dash, kick panel, or some other real good spot. THen, I would test the radio's wiring again. My guess is that you could have back-fed into the radio and possibly cooking it. If you truely have juice at the plug on your radio on both the memory and ignition and also have a solid ground for the radio, that's gotta be the problem.

The Radio Huh. That was fixed right? Yes it was. Anyways the doors may need a 5 wire module. I cant say for sure but I will check. If thats all you need you can pick one up cheap at any best buy or mobile electronics

ponchonutty
05-01-2004, 08:45 PM
Whoops. I missed th part about getting the tunes fixed. No, on the other stuff...........I haven't had any problems with the radio since I replaced the fuse that I mentioned in post #4. The only problems I have now are the door locks not working and the car shutting off when I turn the lights on and the key is not in the on position.

Sofast, I will look at your diagram and see if it helps. Thanks.

Krs
What do you mean that the locks do not work? U mean not at all or just not with the remote start? That system is real simple on most of the civics. I do not know of any that are 5-wire. All the ones I know are just (-) trigger at the factory alarm plug or 16 pin connector next to fuse box under the dash.

krstofer
05-21-2004, 09:31 AM
I got this working thanks to Sofast. It turned out the directions for the system wanted me to use something that I didn't need. the wires I needed were hardwired to another relay. So I had to cut them and hook them up. It worked fine after that.

Thanks.

Add your comment to this topic!