Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

keyless entry on 1996 ford explorer

neoncorey
02-29-2004, 02:17 PM
My mother has a 1996 Ford explorer 2 dr. The key fob was thought to be dead and so we put a new battery in it. Then when we went to try it with the new batteries it still wouldn't work. Then we checked the keyless door entry to find that that is also not working. I have tried the 5 times in 20 seconds starting for a hopeful resey and got nothing. I tseems as though there is no power on the recieving end. Possibly a fuse or relay of some sort. I am not sure where the fuse or relay is that controls this operation. The chilton book is a piece of krap that I have. Someone has metioned something to me about a GEM module or something. I am lost any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

03-16-2004, 11:38 AM
email Ford. They were quick with reply to my query about keyless entry when I bought used explorer with no code available. easy place to start!

Tony D
04-30-2004, 09:00 PM
i have the exact same problem. Let me know the outcome please.

Mr Bob
01-26-2005, 12:07 PM
Sorry it took so long to have this problem and go looking for a solution. . . my expert mechanic (been around a long time) told me to disconnect the negative terminal on my battery and reconnect it to reset the device. It worked for me. Good luck!

Add your comment to this topic!