Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

yukon xl subwoofer

yukonbe
02-29-2004, 12:17 PM
Would like to install factory subwoofer to yukon xl. I don't have one now. Is it worth it? Should I just go aftermarket? I'd like to maintain stock look of vehicle.

Yukon49
03-04-2004, 08:31 PM
I just bought a 2001 Yukon SLT with the factory subwoofer system. I am not impressed - the sound is very weak. I am thinking of installing my 240 watt (rms) sub amp (that I am used to listening to) and replacing the existing subwoofer (approx. 10"?) with a good quality one. I hope to duplicate the sound I had with an outboard 12" spkr. Before I do anything however, I am waiting for the service/maintenance manual that I ordered to arrive, so I can check the specs of the factory amp & spkr and confirm if any level adjustments exist. I'll post my results in a couple of weeks.

yukonbe
03-04-2004, 11:18 PM
Thanks for the reply. I know little about subs but I believe the stock sub is only 8". I visit another board that is more active. The crowd there says that they've been told that in order to replace sub, they would have to rewire entire sound system. Somehow, Bose is crosswired. I like the system overall, but the Bass is very very weak. I look forward to your results. Please let me know!

yukonbe
03-04-2004, 11:19 PM
By the way... Mine is a 2003. They've moved the sub up under the center console from the rear.
Thanks.

okwaho
03-07-2004, 10:18 PM
hey sup was wondering if any of you know if disableing onstar with a stero swap has any effect on computer system or any other dianostics heard some rumors just curious to what i can expect since i already disabled it (or so i think)

yukonbe
03-08-2004, 05:52 PM
I don't have Onstar but the most that I've heard is that you need to buy Onstar adapters harnesses when swapping out stereos. Nothing specific has been posted regarding Onstar and system diagnostics. Check out this site for more posts to question: http://suv.truckmoxie.com/
Jim

JAHokie
02-26-2010, 06:25 PM
I have a yukon SLT and I have not been very impressed with the sound system at all. If you are a person who likes to listen to your music loud at all then you might want to go with the aftermarket parts. I have had to replace almost everything in the SUV with something else because they have either blown or in the subwoofer's case actually dry rotted. There is a good sub that is easy to install without messing with the stock look. The sub by MTX has three different options: just the encloser which is ten inch instead of 8" with the factory one, the encloser and the sub, and an encloser with sub and built in amp.

kasabolt
03-24-2010, 05:33 PM
hey can you give me more info on those mtx that will fit my 2002 yukon xl sub inclosure

JAHokie
03-27-2010, 08:46 AM
MTX makes what are called Thunderform Subwoofer enclosures which are made to fix in the factory locations. As of right now they say they dont make anything for a 2006 Yukon XL how ever if you go to MTX.com click on Mobile Audio then thunderforms, then you could search through the vehicles like the XL to see if either an older version or a newer version would fit. They also have a form you can fill out to request a form be made for your SUV, even though im not really sure how long that would take to get a response from.

kasabolt
03-28-2010, 09:20 PM
by the way u said you were ordering a book on your vehicle whould you be able to send me the pages on the audio wiring if you don mind . let me know and ill give you my email address

kasabolt
03-28-2010, 09:24 PM
i am in the midst of replacing the factory sub in my 2002 yukon xl it is an 8 " sub i will be replacing it with a high end 8 " focal sub and aftermarket amp i will let every one know how it went once it is done every thing is on order

JAHokie
03-29-2010, 04:07 PM
Are you replacing the enclosure too? I know on the 2001 yukons that the stock enclosure will not fit almost all of the other brands of sub due to the odd bolt pattern. It wouldn't make a seal and would sound like crap. Just something to make sure you have looked out for. If you found a new enclosure that would fit please let me know.

kasabolt
03-29-2010, 09:22 PM
Are you replacing the enclosure too? I know on the 2001 yukons that the stock enclosure will not fit almost all of the other brands of sub due to the odd bolt pattern. It wouldn't make a seal and would sound like crap. Just something to make sure you have looked out for. If you found a new enclosure that would fit please let me know.
i'm going to try and use the existing sub enclosure i might have to do some slight modifcations on it though ill let you know how it goes as soon as i get the sub in from the net should be this weekend i di find out about a sub enclosure that fits behind the front cup holders that will fit any 8 " sub that is going to be my next install once i save the money for it.

BurbYukonXL
05-11-2010, 11:53 AM
Is there a way to disable the weak subwoofer in my 2001 Yukon XL. I would guess there is some sort of resistor, bypass (whatever the correct term is) that needs to be removed. As most of you know this is a worthless subwoofer and the front speakers would probably sufice if they were not bypassed in some fashion.

mrfree714
08-14-2010, 10:20 AM
I have blown the factory subwoofer and need to replace. I have never pulled the interior panel, driver side cargo area, before. how do I get to the subwoofer?

kasabolt
10-08-2010, 11:07 PM
that is simple first you will have to pull up the plastic pannel that runs across the back end on the floor then you need to pull the back pillar panel then once they are off unscrew the plastic knob the cargo net hung by once you have done this you can now lift the side pannel off just an fyi all these panels are held in place by clips so they should come off rather easy . and if you want a oem direct replacement speaker i have one in good shape i also have the bose version too if interested let me know

KMinah
07-27-2013, 01:09 PM
Need to replace the factory subwoofer for my yukon and need to know the exact size and best after market brands with enough bass and power to replace it

Add your comment to this topic!