Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

95 Explorer 4x4 stalling when coming to a stop

garypr1
02-29-2004, 11:33 AM
My Explorer stalls when coming to a stop. It doesnt do it all the time but it is starting to happen more frequently. Also it stalls occasionally as soon as it's started. I added a fuel system cleaner about 500 miles ago and it seemed like it helped for a while (but it could've been my imaganation). I've owned it since new and it now has ~150K miles on it. The plugs are relatively new and I'm running a K&N air filter which is due to be cleaned. Other than that nothing has ever been touched. I'm not sure if this symptom is ignition (like wires or dist cap) or fuel system related. Any help appreciated!

Opera House
02-29-2004, 04:05 PM
One rare problem that it an be is the fuel pressure regulator. Some of these are made with the spring slightly off center and it wears a bevel on one side of the seat. The valve then slides off to the side and sticks open reducing fuel pressure. This usually happens at high vacuum condiions like coming to a stop or sitting at a stop light. Pressure checks usually won't find this because at times pressure can be normal. I found my problem by driving around monitoring the fuel pump current. Have only found a couple people with this problem as it is rare. Something to keep in mind. It can be other things. Explain more about stalling when stopped. One possibility is tranny TCC not unlocking but that doesent explain startinr or at a stop problem. If you have a meter, I would monitor the current at the fuel pump fuse.

garypr1
02-29-2004, 04:44 PM
I think it has a tendacy to stall as it down shifts into first. Maybe not every time, but its hard to tell. Sometimes, I can stop hard and its fine. Also, it seems to almost always happen when its warmed up. You said it could be other things? I was thinking of replacing items that need to be replaced because of their age (like plug wires) but I would think the symptom for a bad wire would be a miss. Can you explain what TCC is. Thanks.

maverickman4
03-01-2004, 09:55 AM
i had a simular problem, when i would slow down or brake to come to a stop the car would die when i would get to almost a complete stop. i had to bleed the coolent system and the problem went away. i also thought it was the fuel system. not sure if its what you got wrong but just an idea

Opera House
03-01-2004, 03:57 PM
Torque Converter Clutch The torque converter normally has slip. To increase eficiency, there is an internal clutch that locks up in third and higher gears. Sometimes the solenoid that controls this sticks and it doesn't unlock when coming to a stop.

garypr1
03-05-2004, 11:39 AM
Have had more time to drive the explorer (wifes car). Now it seems to be downshifting hard when going into first (clunking noise). Up-shifting from 1st to 2nd seems ok (maybe a little rough?) I dont know if this is related to the idle problem or not.

To better describe the idle problem again, when coasting to a stop, the idle goes to ~ 500 rpm. By the time I stop, the tranny downshifts into 1st and sometimes lugs the engine, dropping the idle to <400 rpm, causing it to stumble and sometimes stall. Doesnt do it cold. Probably because the choke keeps idle up until its warm.
Since my first post I've replaced plug wires and thermostat. I'm going to change the tranny fluid and filter (never changed before) and check the universal joints.

srercrcr
03-06-2004, 02:53 AM
I think the fact that it does not do it when cold is the lead you want to follow. FYI...it doesn't have a choke. All fuel injected cars just monitor the conditions via sensors and the computer makes adjustments to make it run correctly. Since it runs fine cold, that's good. That says some sensor goes wacko once the engine warms up.
Is the Check Engine light on? If so, invest in a diagnosis by a reputable shop.

garypr1
03-06-2004, 10:20 AM
The hard down shifting into first occurs when its cold (or hot). It upshifts harder into second as well, but not as noticible. It just doesn't seem to stall when cold. Check Engine light is off but the Overdirve light has started flashing all the time but I can switch overdrive on or off normally. This happened once before and the switch was found defective and replaced. Thanks!!

Add your comment to this topic!