rough idle ,vibration

ddum8
02-28-2004, 12:27 AM
I have a 1991 s10 Blazer 4x4 with a 4.3 v6. My problem is that it has a very rough idle and the whole engine shakes. Also when I am driving it ,it has a vibration that I feel mainly at my feet. The vibration gets worse as it changes gears and is at it's worse in overdrive. It has a 700r4 automatic. Does anybody have any ideas.

Thanks, Ddum8
P.S. Go Jr.

nex1
08-18-2004, 12:04 AM
Sounds like engine mount, my 97 saturn had the same exact problem, weird thing was I could put it in neutral at a stop light and vibration went away, I thought I had MAJOR tranny problems, dealer replaced the upper mount and drove like brand new!

Rick Norwood
08-19-2004, 09:21 AM
I really doubt that the rough idle is being caused by a bad motor mount, although anything is possible. I would start with a basic tune-up, including spark plug wires, plugs, distributor cap and rotor, and check the timing. If that doesn't do it, let us know.

nex1
08-19-2004, 09:55 AM
"whole engine shakes" um, that is what the engine mounts stops.

Rick Norwood
08-19-2004, 10:22 AM
But what is causing the rough idle to start with? I have had broken motor mounts on many different vehicles and the engine purrs like a kitten. The way the broken mount was discovered was when the engine raises off the broken mount and the fan chews up the shroud. I am not saying that it isn't a possibility, I am saying that there are possibly multiple issues here.

BlazerLT
08-20-2004, 03:15 AM
I have a 1991 s10 Blazer 4x4 with a 4.3 v6. My problem is that it has a very rough idle and the whole engine shakes. Also when I am driving it ,it has a vibration that I feel mainly at my feet. The vibration gets worse as it changes gears and is at it's worse in overdrive. It has a 700r4 automatic. Does anybody have any ideas.

Thanks, Ddum8
P.S. Go Jr.

Have you ever done a tuneup?

Fuel Filter
Air Filter
Plugs
Cap & Rotor
Wires

Any check engine lights?

Add your comment to this topic!