Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

integra vs 3000gt

Pages : 1 [2] 3

ZackKVtec
03-02-2004, 12:38 PM
explain this dx vs. rsx? story, i know there has to be more to it, also, i guess i have to believe you cause i dont think someone would lie for this long, anyways i just dont understand why the 300zx non turbo has the same exact stats as the sl (-150 lbs) yet it seems to be so much slower

Igovert500
03-02-2004, 12:46 PM
Different gear ratios, aerodynamics, there's lots of things that go into a race besides hp/weight ratio. I feel like I am repeating what has already been said...

Igovert500
03-02-2004, 12:51 PM
youngvr4...i knew it had already been said somewhere in this post
kinked, sorry for the misunderstanding. And you are correct, double clutching would not help you the least bit in a straightaway race starting at a deadstop.

ZackKVtec
03-02-2004, 12:57 PM
lol no way man, i didnt really feel like looking into the gear ratio's i just figured seeing as nissan has a much better history with performance cars that the ratios would be better, ill take a look into that btw, im not positive about the aerodynamics (never seen either in a wind tunnel) but just taking a quick glance it seems that the 300zx would be more aerodynamic, and then the sl still has to take its extra fat into account, every 100 lbs more is like 1/10th in the quarter added, anyone got a timeslip for a stock or minor bolt-on sl?

Hotshot8792
03-02-2004, 02:34 PM
i can't exactly explain it, but i've seen it time after time that a stock SL or base DOHC 3000 race a 300ZX and with equal drivers, the 3000 has won every time

just thought of something, here's an idea
3000gt is FWD, 300ZX is rear wheel drive, therefore the 300ZX has a greater drivetrain loss due to more moving parts. And thats probably what determines a lot of it is the fact that it doesnt matter how much power your making to the crank, what matters is how much your making to the wheels, and the reason the 3000 will edge out the 300ZX everytime is that it gets more power to the ground.

ZackKVtec
03-02-2004, 02:46 PM
thanks man, that makes a little more sense

Igovert500
03-02-2004, 11:13 PM
Just for a little clarification, I wasn't suggesting that you should research the two cars individual gear ratios...although you could if you wish, my point was that each car has a different gear ratio.

If you understand the basics of gears, or gear trains, you know that they have a primary driver gear and the secondary gears. Each gear is a different size with different numbers of teeth. As the teeth interact and turn each other, the smaller one must rotate quicker because of its smaller circumference(hence higher rpms) then the larger gear. The ratios are the comparisons of the turns of the input driver gear to the turns of the output gear. For example a gear ratio of 3:1 (an 8 toothed gear turning a 24 toothed gear must turn 3x to get the output gear to make one full turn) This means 3x slower rpms of the output gears, but 3x more torque. (Notice that when you are in 1st and 2nd gear you get more torque then 4th, 5th or 6th, and that your engine rpms drop when you shift up. When you shift up, say from 3rd to 4th, you are shifting to a larger output gear and your ratio goes down, hence engine rpms drop and you feel less torque.

With all of that explained...poorly, my point was that throughout each of the 6 gears(in my vr4) the gear ratios are different from one another. As well, the gear ratios I have will be different from those you have in your car, even if both our cars were 6spd.
So the Sl and the 300zx have different 1st gear ratios, different 2nd gear ratios...and so on. Therefore, they are producing differing amounts of torque throughout the race. Simply because I have a maximum of 315lbft of torque, doesn't mean that I have that much the whole race, only at a certain engine rpm in a certain gear. So the point youngvr4 and i were trying to make is that every second of the race, the two cars will be producing varying amounts of torque and power that might not necessarily be equal, even if their max hp and torque are equal. They will reach those maximums at different times. So you cannot simply compare the maximum power vs. weight ratio to determine the winner.

ZackKVtec
03-03-2004, 06:47 AM
yeah, thanks for clarifying some of that, but i just wanted to make a point that the nissan probably had a better gear ratio for acceleration than the mistu, thats all, i could be wrong still, btw im still waiting for the civic dx vs. rsx race story

-ps. i understand gear ratios alot better now, thanks man!

Igovert500
03-03-2004, 09:26 AM
Just to make a correction to what I said, I meant to say that when shifting up from 3rd to 4th, you go to a smaller (not larger) output gear, so your ratio goes down and you feel less torque.

Also, with your gear ratios you cannot make them too aggressive otherwise you will not have a high top end, that is why a 6spd is nice because it opens up a whole new opportunity for top end. My vr-4 is pretty aggressive 1st-3rd under wide open throttle it puts you in the back of your seat. But at the same time, I can cruise at 100 in 6th gear and only be at 3,000rpms which is nice if you have a habit of speeding on the highway, it still conserves gas pretty well. I hope all that helped.

ZackKVtec
03-03-2004, 09:51 AM
lol 80 in 5th 4000 rpms haha

N/A-SAVAGE!
03-03-2004, 05:34 PM
wow thats alot of pages!!! but a lot of people on here are saying this guy has a chance with a base(SOHC 97-99) ........ it would be a drivers race. think about it. the integ is puting out max 130 hp at the crank. the SOHC puts out MAX 135 to the ground!!!!! with the extra 800+or- pounds i think that makes it a drivers race.

also have some crappy 1/8 mi. slips to prove my 222BHP/175 to the ground will not be beat by any 130BHP+ a filter!! :nono:

tsugsr
03-03-2004, 06:48 PM
ok well ill hopefully help put an end to this discussion, i live in a town of 14K and i just pulled up next to an SL not sure what year or if it was auto or stick or not, but i drive a stock GSR and i will race him soon and ill let yall know, but there was to much traffic to race him today.

ghetto7o2azn
03-03-2004, 09:02 PM
i say u just smuther ur car w/ stickers....

http://jupiter.walagata.com/w/ghetto7o2azn/fandf.bmp

when paul walker says it, u kno its tru :iceslolan

carrrnuttt
03-03-2004, 11:02 PM
All this SL this SL that talk is hurting my head...

Okay, let's look at this:
(I of course, am referring to the gentleman who claimed to have hung with an Integra Type R)

Acura Integra Type R
Curb Weight: 2639 lbs
Horsepower: 195
lb-per-HP: 13.53

Mitsubishi 3000GT SL
Curb Weight: 3280 lbs
Horsepower: 218
lb-per-HP: 15.04

How is that even close? If you guys bring back that gear-ratio, drag-coefficient bullshit, think about the fact that the ITR is one of the most aggressively geared road cars in existence today, which is necessary to keep the car's high-peak motor in full-boil.

Not saying I don't believe the race happened, just saying that it wasn't because of the respective cars.

Just for shits-and-giggles, let's look at the N/A 300ZX:

Nissan 300ZX base
Curb weight: 3186
Horsepower: 222
lb-per-HP: 14.35

Now, since you guys came up with the gear-ratio thing, to explain why a 3000GT SL will beat a 300ZX base, why don't we explore that?

---300ZX (base) 5-spd--3000GT SL 5-spd
Final----4.083:1------------3.97:1-------
1st-----3.21---------------3.07---------
2nd-----1.93---------------1.74---------
3rd------1.30---------------1.10--------
4th-----1.00----------------0.82--------
5th------0.75---------------0.66--------

Now, who has more aggressive gearing???

Here's my sources:
3000GT SL data:
http://www.3kgt.com/dimensions.shtml
http://www.team3s.com/FAQtransratios.htm

300ZX (base) data:
http://www.edmunds.com/used/1992/nissan/300zx/1519/specs.html?tid=edmunds.u.prices.leftsidenav..6.Nis san*
http://www.300zx.org.uk/gear_ratios.htm

ITR data:
http://www.edmunds.com/used/2000/acura/integra/12716/specs.html?tid=edmunds.u.prices.leftsidenav..6.Acu ra*

ZackKVtec
03-03-2004, 11:20 PM
dont be so silly carrrnut, the gentleman who hung with a type r runs a 14.9 at the track - stock :screwy: , im still a little speculative on that since i have yet to see a timeslip, but they seem to believe him over on the 3000gt forum

ZackKVtec
03-03-2004, 11:21 PM
this post is just so i can become an enthusiast

youngvr4
03-04-2004, 01:51 AM
who said something about a sl beating a type-r? why have i seen a sl run 15.4 at the track? why have i seen a sl run same speed as your sentra? what does a non turbo 300zx run in the 1/4?

point is a sl will beat a 91 ls integra no problem.

oh and please reply back soon.

tran_nsx
03-04-2004, 03:06 AM

not always, depends on how well the drivers are. honestly, im getting tired of all these posts, if any of u sl owners live in the california bay area and want to race me, i'll be happy to give it a shot. i drive a 92 ls with 140 hp and around 121 lbs/tq and haven't got much done to my car except some minor bolts on, but again, i got 18's on so it's not gaining much at all.

don't know how fast the 3000 gt sl's are but their 1/4 mile should be similar to the 300zx non-turbo correct? if im wrong, please correct me. well anyways, i have raced a 300zx non-turbo from a stop and have actually beat it, although not by much though. heres how it got started, i drove to a stop light and on my left was of course the fairlady with aftermarket exhaust and some sticker across the front windshield. now i had no intentions of racing it since im thinking those things are pretty fast, and i had no idea if it's the turbo or non-turbo version, by looking from the side.

when the light turn green, i immediately heard tire squeeling from the z while i on the other hand took off normally, but in the last milli sec decided to just say screw it and floored the pedal. now peeling out b4 a launch isn't a very good thing since u lose traction easily and can even be stuck there just burning rubber if your inexperience by reving your rpm's too high. my launch wasn't all that either since i didn't intend to race, i did though get ahead of him a little by not peeling out, quickly he caught up to me, and thats where i floored it, slowly inch by inch i moved on ahead until i had to get on the on ramp towards the freeway. to give an estimated car length, it was about 1/4 of a car lead, not much but a win is still a win, and the look on those guys faces as i headed towards the onramp was unforgettable, guess they thought a honda would never beat them. my inference would be since i beat it that it must be the n/a version because if it was twin-turbo, that thing should have left me in the dust easy.

my point of this story, its not always how fast the car, but also how well the drivers are and if they get a good launch.

youngvr4
03-04-2004, 03:57 AM
i completly agree with that :smile: i'm just making sure all that stuff carrnut was speakin on wasn't directed towards me, i raced a integra sl in my moms contour sport and won, actually its on a movie called, on the scene fully loaded. and i've raced more than one so i know first hand on there speed. on the other hand i have been in one of my most hardest races against an integra, with a turbo. i have nothing against tegs but for the most part, a sl is faster than a 91 ls teg. and sl's do run mid to low 15.'s. thats all i'm saying :)

carrrnuttt
03-04-2004, 08:35 AM
who said something about a sl beating a type-r? why have i seen a sl run 15.4 at the track? why have i seen a sl run same speed as your sentra? what does a non turbo 300zx run in the 1/4?

oh and please reply back soon.
I never said they weren't low 15-second cars, or that they weren't capable of high-14's. Hell, I've run a best of 15.00, and my power-to-weight is less than the SL's.

I was just commenting on the story about the SL and the ITR hanging together, like it was the most normal thing in the world. Also, there was a statement made about the SL consistently beating 300ZX base models, which would be impossible, unless it was the same, crappy driver that was being raced, or if it was the 2+2 style that was being raced, or maybe it was even an automatic. The 300ZX 2+2's weighed in at 3313 lbs, heavier than an SL.

It's just those comments, when taken out of context, can lead somebody that doesn't know better to believe that an N/A 300ZX will always be slower than an SL, or that the SL is as fast as an ITR with equal driving, which is just not true.

Other than that, I completely agree that the Integra would be utterly humiliated, and if we are to believe one of the posters in this thread, already has been.

Fanb01s annoy me (not referring to you, youngvr4).

youngvr4
03-04-2004, 01:03 PM
understood :smile:

codebrn
03-04-2004, 02:57 PM
this is wack..dident someone already post this somwhere before? I can't belive that guy would make a refrence to F&F in this place...

DiscoChyme
03-04-2004, 03:44 PM
when the light turn green, i immediately heard tire squeeling from the z while i on the other hand took off normally, but in the last milli sec decided to just say screw it and floored the pedal. now peeling out b4 a launch isn't a very good thing since u lose traction easily and can even be stuck there just burning rubber if your inexperience by reving your rpm's too high. my launch wasn't all that either since i didn't intend to race, i did though get ahead of him a little by not peeling out, quickly he caught up to me, and thats where i floored it, slowly inch by inch i moved on ahead until i had to get on the on ramp towards the freeway. to give an estimated car length, it was about 1/4 of a car lead, not much but a win is still a win, and the look on those guys faces as i headed towards the onramp was unforgettable, guess they thought a honda would never beat them. my inference would be since i beat it that it must be the n/a version because if it was twin-turbo, that thing should have left me in the dust easy.

my point of this story, its not always how fast the car, but also how well the drivers are and if they get a good launch.

How long was the race to the on-ramp? 60'?

For you people that think its all hp/weight, they didnt mention it in your beloved F&F, so where did you come up with this nonsense? Do you think an 8hp, 100lbs car could beat mine? If you do, I have some lovely land in the everglades for sale...

tran_nsx
03-04-2004, 04:30 PM

it was about atleast an 1/8 of a mile. lets see, we were at a stop light, we raced to towards another stop light and it was green still, then from that light it's about another 20 or so feet b4 starting to merge towards the on ramp. so little bit over a block, not sure how many feet that is.

carrrnuttt
03-04-2004, 04:34 PM
For you people that think its all hp/weight, they didnt mention it in your beloved F&F, so where did you come up with this nonsense?

Not that I even liked FnF, but are you saying power-to-weight is irrelevant?

Now, I'VE got some beachfront property for you, here in AZ...

Do you think an 8hp, 100lbs car could beat mine?

In a word, yes. Of course, it would need the right gears, and where the hell would you find a 5 lb driver to keep the lbs-per-hp down?

How do you think a Kawasaki ZX12R, with less WHP and WTQ than an Integra Type R, run into the 9's?

kfoote
03-04-2004, 04:42 PM

For you people that think its all hp/weight, they didnt mention it in your beloved F&F, so where did you come up with this nonsense? Do you think an 8hp, 100lbs car could beat mine? If you do, I have some lovely land in the everglades for sale...

If it was 100 lbs with driver, then yes.

http://www.bondurantsuperkarts.com/karts.html

The 200 lbs is without driver. Throw in a 180 lb lump behind the steering wheel, and you have a 380 lb, 32 HP vehicle that will do 0-100 MPH in 6 sec.

I took this school last winter, it's an eye opening experience and well worth the money.

ZackKVtec
03-04-2004, 06:05 PM
Discochime, your only mad cause your cars a fatass, and only to you hp/weight wouldnt matter

LjasonL
03-04-2004, 06:13 PM
I can't believe this thread is still going.

DiscoChyme
03-04-2004, 11:58 PM
Not that I even liked FnF, but are you saying power-to-weight is irrelevant?

Nope, im not saying that, thanks for asking though. :) I basically said its not 100% of what determines speed/times. If it were, there would be no need to race, we could just bust out dyno sheets, scales, and calculators. Wouldnt that be fun!

If it was 100 lbs with driver, then yes.

Nope. The weight of the driver in the tegger or whatever light car we are talking about is going to be roughly the same as my weight. Therefore the 8hp, 100lbs car would have to have the same driver.

But even if we had the proper size driver, hp/weight does not determine peformance in a perfectly linear fashion. Take physics.

The 200 lbs is without driver. Throw in a 180 lb lump behind the steering wheel, and you have a 380 lb, 32 HP vehicle that will do 0-100 MPH in 6 sec.

Thats cool, but what does it run in the 1/4, 1/2, etc? I believe that a much lighter car could crush me in a short distance (though maybe not a TT/VR4 because of the AWD launch).

Discochime, your only mad cause your cars a fatass, and only to you hp/weight wouldnt matter

My car weighs 300lbs more than yours, and has about 50 more horses. What a TANK! Ive spent under $100 in mods by the way.

Hotshot8792
03-05-2004, 12:02 AM
i'll race a teggy in my SL automatic. Need to wait about 3 weeks til i can get the car back on the road, redoing some stuff right now. :biggrin:

ZackKVtec
03-05-2004, 12:19 AM
3,351-2,667= 684
im cool now btw, i dont care what you guys run anymore, ill just have to find a willing sl to race - wish me luck!

carrrnuttt
03-05-2004, 01:03 AM
Nope, im not saying that, thanks for asking though. :) I basically said its not 100% of what determines speed/times. If it were, there would be no need to race, we could just bust out dyno sheets, scales, and calculators. Wouldnt that be fun!
Wow, that's a nice rationalization. Bravo.

Like I said, I don't doubt the claims of speed you guys have, it's the seeming over-confidence you guys seem to get...where cars that are simply faster than yours suddenly become your equals, and the only explanation you seem to come up with (despite all the hard facts) is: "power-to-weight isn't everything".

Okay. There's gearing...which I debunked, showing that the N/A 300ZX is just geared more aggressively...yet you'll probably claim that the SL is still faster.

Plus, you seem to have this persecution complex about you where you seem to have a sense of "us against the world" about you. The "everybody thinks our cars are slow, so we must defend it vehemently" fallacy.

We're all car guys here man, and unlike most other boards, we accept all cars. It's the owners that usually ruin it for them (the cars).

Come correct. We're more than glad to see ignorance thwarted on this board, but please, correct only those that need correcting, and try not to preach about how AWESOME your car is. Most of us regulars already know. Never mind the children.

DiscoChyme
03-05-2004, 01:45 AM
3,351-2,667= 684
im cool now btw, i dont care what you guys run anymore, ill just have to find a willing sl to race - wish me luck!

My car weighs 3060, thanks. It NEVER weighed 3351, it was 3160 stock.

Tran - ok, I will leave. :)

26B_600HP
03-05-2004, 06:42 AM
Ok, lets get this straight. I owned a 94 base 3000gt stock. This crap about an integra being faster is bull. Remember there is no replacement for displacement. Plus most of the people who own an Integra think they know how to race with their tricked out car with intake and exuast, and an extra 400 pounds on ground effects and sound systems. There is no way an Intergra would ever beat anything. A prism would be a hard race for the Integra. J/K bout that one!

kfoote
03-05-2004, 08:57 AM
Thats cool, but what does it run in the 1/4, 1/2, etc? I believe that a much lighter car could crush me in a short distance (though maybe not a TT/VR4 because of the AWD launch).

If the kart can do 0-100 in 6 sec, then it has to have a speed at the end of the 1/4 close to its 120 MPH top speed. By 1/2 mi, a car that can get up to about 130-135 by the end of the 1/2 mi will have caught up. If you have a car that will do 0-60 in 6 sec, that means that at 6 sec the cart is going 40 MPH faster than you, and is about 100 yards ahead. That's a lot of distance to make up.

tran_nsx
03-05-2004, 09:09 AM
i guess no one here lives is the bay area then, huh? well im going to search for an sl then, but if im going to find a real opponent and using the steretype that 26b 600hp use, then i guess racing all the old farts that own a 3000 gt sl doesn't count right? i don't like to talk trash, i would rather take action instead, so while u most of u guys talk your talk, i'll be walking the walk. and no i don't have any body kits or a 400 pound sytem.

oh displacement is great, but if its power to weight ratio sucks then the displacement is basically pointless. y do u think import racer swap motors into lighter cars, an example, ls/vtec conversion into a civic. this potent combination, if done correctly it can hit 13's, and 12's all motor. :2cents: yes i do have proof if u want to see.

ZackKVtec
03-05-2004, 09:11 AM
the whole reason i got on this discussion is because with all the facts stated i wasn't sure how these sl's were running such low times compared to every other car in their class - that been said i have gotten over it and noticed that there are way to many variables to even prove anything about this topic, other than going to the track or actually racing - about the weight thing, im impressed, i just went on autotrader and got the stats on a 96 SL, that was a dumb move on my part because i never even found out what exact car you have :uhoh: , btw im curious as to what mods you have on your sl, i know you spent less than 100 but im just curious. i dont think a reply to 26B_600HP is neccesary - peace dahgs

DiscoChyme
03-05-2004, 03:55 PM
Zack - 94 Stealth R/T is my car. Started at 3160ish. Ive stripped out about 100lbs. Once I get the planned CF hood, light battery, forged rims, and lightweight pulley, thats another 175lbs or so, some of which is rotational. I could replace the front seats and remove the back for another ~100lbs or so, but the leather is just so darn nice...

So after my planned stuff we are looking at about a 2900lbs car.

The mods ive done so far are a K&N FIPK and replacing the cat with a 2.5" testpipe. My car is making about 230-235hp. If all goes as planned, it should be putting down 325-350 at the wheels in a year or two, and hopefully ill be able to stop myself there. :) This is for a total cost (including car) of under $15k.

3S's arent dogs at all, yet everyone seems to think so. Thats why we tend to come to these forums when there are threads like this.

DeViL
03-05-2004, 04:04 PM
ls/vtec conversion into a civic. this potent combination, if done correctly it can hit 13's, and 12's all motor. yes i do have proof if u want to see.
How is it "done correctly" I've never understood that. Are you talking about the way you put it in? If one bolt isn't tight as tight on a civic compared to another one with the same swap, its going to be the difference between a 14 second car and a 13 second car?

tran_nsx
03-05-2004, 06:48 PM
How is it "done correctly" I've never understood that. Are you talking about the way you put it in? If one bolt isn't tight as tight on a civic compared to another one with the same swap, its going to be the difference between a 14 second car and a 13 second car?

it's the way u assembled the motor. some people tend to just focus on the conversion and be cheap about their parts so they can have it back on the streets asap, but they don't pay attention to the little details such as replacing the clutch, new water pump, timing belt, oil pump, bearings, gsr ecu, cam gears, etc. etc., the list goes on and on. if assemble correctly it can be a bit costly, but what u have in the end is a fast A$$ monster, this is why this swap is known as the "frankenstein."

and remember, a 220hp gutted 2000 lb civic is quite a contrast from a 220hp 3000+ lb mustang. another analogy which is probably more easier to visualize would be a 140hp integra @2600 lb or a 240hp integra @2600 lb. of course the one with the more power wins even though the weight is the same. y? it's all about power to weight ratio.

here's a link so u can see the set up, the one here had done 12 flat in the 1/4 mile, but the ls/vtec has potential to even hit 11's in a full race setting, although no one is going to drive around in a raced out civic on the streets.
http://www.importreview.com/reviews/lsvtec.html

oh i forgot, all this power to weight ratio is definately great but u also have to factor in all the other many variables such as driver experience, launch, weather, tires, etc., etc.

DeViL
03-05-2004, 08:31 PM
Ah I got you, basically what you're saying is making sure everything is in perfect working condition and the parts are of good quality, before you drop the engine in. That versus other people taking shortcuts, and using old and worn parts that are probably from a previously owned car or just junk lying around in the garage.

tran_nsx
03-05-2004, 08:50 PM
exactly!

ZackKVtec
03-06-2004, 12:44 AM
woah man, i just looked it up and it seems the stealths are 200 lbs lighter than the sl's stock! thats a big difference

MR2Driver
03-06-2004, 11:43 AM
Wow, all those pages and not a single person mentioned TORQUE. My god people

Look, people like to take pride in their cars and their make. But seriously, stop with all the number racing.

Just get out there and do it!

Tran_NSX (do you own an NSX): Its very simple, you car stock runs in the high 16's, the SL runs in the low 15's. Thats just it, the only things that can change those numbers are driver skill and modifications.

Number racing... what is wrong with you people...

carrrnuttt
03-06-2004, 12:19 PM
Because when you mention TQ, you have to take into account more complex things like gearing, and how it multiplies a car's TQ, and in what part of the powerband the TQ peaks at. Also, there's the TQ band, in relation to the gearing.

It's simply simpler to talk about HP, as HP is the ultimate result of TQ and gearing, hence the actual power the car is making. TQ differences only illustrate the character of the cars, and the differences in how they should be driven.

A good example is an E36 M3 with 240HP, and nearly as much TQ, against a pre-2004 Honda S2000, with a similar HP output, but with only 152ft-lbs of TQ.

Both cars have very different characteristics, with the S2000 needing a driver willing to rev the piss out of the car to extract the car's potential, while the E36 doesn't need as much prodding to go as fast...but in the end, both cars have similar acceleration figures, with an edge to the E36, as it is easier to drive fast.

Also, about the "number racing" comment, not everybody has access to both cars in question while the debate is still fresh, so mechanical specifics can then be pointed out, to show the characteristics of each car.

That's how every car is borne out, with numbers. Automotive engineers are THE biggest "number racers", period.

Speaking strictly for myself, I only mentioned hard numbers, I did not speculate based on some anomalous race I might have witnessed, or participated in...as I know for a fact that MANY variables exist in actual races, not the least of which, is the condition of the car and driver.

tran_nsx
03-06-2004, 03:15 PM

Look, people like to take pride in their cars and their make. But seriously, stop with all the number racing.

Just get out there and do it!

Tran_NSX (do you own an NSX): Its very simple, you car stock runs in the high 16's, the SL runs in the low 15's. Thats just it, the only things that can change those numbers are driver skill and modifications.

Number racing... what is wrong with you people...

i didn't mention tq since it would make my little explanation and example of power to weight ratio even more confusing so i left it out for a reason.

as far as owning an nsx, no. i could, but won't have enough to pay for college, so i rather wait till im done. in a way it's my dream car, furthermore even i wanted to drive one i could since my uncle owns one.

as far as a stock 3rd gen teg ls goes, they can hit 16 flat on the 1/4 mile, higher or lower depending on driver. i had even raced one myself and beat that in my 2nd gen, so that kinda tells you my driving experience. now i know my teg isn't some fast a$$ car, but it can definately hold its own. here i found some 1/4 stats of each car
to get a general idea of each car.

http://www.car-stats.com/stats/search/choosemake.aspx

1992 3000 gt: 1/4 mile -15.8 sec

1994 integra ls: 16 sec

this could have been the one i raced for all u skeptics
1991 300zx 2+2: 15.9 sec

tran_nsx
03-08-2004, 09:05 PM
a follow up:

today at my college, i found a 3000 gt and the driver was in his 20's like me backing out a parking space, right away i thought this is it, here's my chance. i drove up to him did some small talk and then asked him if his gt was the twin turbo or non-turbo? he replied it was the non-turbo, so then i asked him for a favor.

"sure, what is it?" he questioned back.

"can we by any chance race? i want to see if your car is fast or not."

"no thanks man" he replied, "my car gots no guts."

i was baffled and even stunned he said such a thing. i pleaded and pleaded but to no avail, so we said our fair wells and that was it. i didn't mind if i lose, but i guess he did. the comment he made disappointed me a bit, especially coming from a 3000gt owner, but oh well better luck next time.

LjasonL
03-08-2004, 09:45 PM
I can't believe this thread is still going.

jon@af
03-08-2004, 10:30 PM
:werd:

DeViL
03-08-2004, 10:37 PM
"3rd gen teg ls goes, they can hit 16 flat on the 1/4 mile"
Now I don't agree with that I've blown the doors off one of those with my S-10, which is supposed to be a 16 flat second vehicle. Actually a 2wd, 2-door, 5-speed can do a 16 second flat. I have an extended cab and auto, at the time I also had absolutely nothing done to the truck.

youngvr4
03-09-2004, 12:38 AM
thats not saying much, if i had the sl i too would say my car has no balls, because i'm used too speed.

Igovert500
03-09-2004, 11:30 AM
Just for clarification, there are 2 types of N/A 3000gts. the vr4 is TT, the SLs are all DOHC 222hp, the bases from 91-96 are the same as the SLs, but 97-99 the base 3000gts dropped to SOHC 161hp. So I am simply asking which this guy "who gots no guts" had.

tran_nsx
03-09-2004, 03:26 PM
Just for clarification, there are 2 types of N/A 3000gts. the vr4 is TT, the SLs are all DOHC 222hp, the bases from 91-96 are the same as the SLs, but 97-99 the base 3000gts dropped to SOHC 161hp. So I am simply asking which this guy "who gots no guts" had.

i couldn't recall what he exactly said about the year but i believe he said 95. my sister who was with me at the time didn't recall it either but she thought he had said 95 or 97.

"3rd gen teg ls goes, they can hit 16 flat on the 1/4 mile"
Now I don't agree with that I've blown the doors off one of those with my S-10, which is supposed to be a 16 flat second vehicle. Actually a 2wd, 2-door, 5-speed can do a 16 second flat. I have an extended cab and auto, at the time I also had absolutely nothing done to the truck.

if u haven't noticed i also wrote down higher or lower depending on driver. the s-10, are they faster than silverados'? i went against a couple silverados' not because i wanted to, but because they just kept on revving on me. everytime i win by at least 2 car lengths. are u sure the teg was racing? are u sure it wasn't an automatic? are u sure u beat the car and not the driver?

Nexagen
03-10-2004, 10:33 PM
The Mitsubishi 3000 GT is Mitsubishi's answer to F Bodies like the camaro. If you have a 3000 GT VR4 and you race an Integra the VR4 will win. Even a base model 3K GT will smoke the Integra.

You just cant outrun a 3000 GT with an Integra. The 3000 GT has more power and torque as well as a couple more cylinders than the Integra.

You got to remember also that the 3000 GT is RWD and will start faster than the Integra.

Now if you would have an Integra Type-R with the following mods:

Turbocharger
Greddy Cat-Back
4 to 1 Headers
Good Tires + Stiff Suspension

Then you would have a good chance even against a VR4. Otherwise the 3000 GT is one of the roughest diamonds in Mitsubishi's arsenal.

youngvr4
03-11-2004, 02:24 AM
sl's are fwd

MR2Driver
03-11-2004, 12:05 PM
The Mitsubishi 3000 GT is Mitsubishi's answer to F Bodies like the camaro. If you have a 3000 GT VR4 and you race an Integra the VR4 will win. Even a base model 3K GT will smoke the Integra.

You just cant outrun a 3000 GT with an Integra. The 3000 GT has more power and torque as well as a couple more cylinders than the Integra.

You got to remember also that the 3000 GT is RWD and will start faster than the Integra.

Now if you would have an Integra Type-R with the following mods:

Turbocharger
Greddy Cat-Back
4 to 1 Headers
Good Tires + Stiff Suspension

Then you would have a good chance even against a VR4. Otherwise the 3000 GT is one of the roughest diamonds in Mitsubishi's arsenal.

Did you say "headers" and a turbo?

RACER D12
03-11-2004, 12:49 PM
Did you say "headers" and a turbo?

We already talked about this in another thread. Turbo cars do have "headers" persay, but most turbo people dont call them headers. They call them something I cant think of right now.

tran_nsx
03-11-2004, 04:08 PM
no, turbo cars do not have headers, they have a turbo manifold. u can't put a header from a natural aspirated vehicle on a turbo car, and visa versa, period.

with nexagen's post, seem to me like he is talking out of his a$$. :2cents:

DeViL
03-11-2004, 06:16 PM
if u haven't noticed i also wrote down higher or lower depending on driver. the s-10, are they faster than silverados'? i went against a couple silverados' not because i wanted to, but because they just kept on revving on me. everytime i win by at least 2 car lengths. are u sure the teg was racing? are u sure it wasn't an automatic? are u sure u beat the car and not the driver?
I think my S-10 could beat a 4x4 Silverado but if it were a 2wd, 2-door, base Silverado with the 5.3l V8 (280 hp) I imagine I would get my ass kicked. Yes he was racing, yes it was a stick, and no I don't think he messed up. I obviously got a better shot out of the whole and simply just kept pulling from that.

Shrieking Seizure
03-13-2004, 02:28 PM
222 bhp vs 130 bhp?

Well I guess you might have a chance due to your extensive modding BUT... I wouldnt bet to much on it.

Add your comment to this topic!