Page updated on 06-20-2018

airbag light on HELP!

justbrowsin
02-25-2004, 12:30 AM
I have a 1999 Tacoma 2.4 2RZ-FE 2wd with 68k miles. Recently I noticed my airbag warning light has been activated, though I have never tampered with the seat, seat belts, nor has the truck even been so much as brushed in the front? Does anyone know what caused this/how to fix it without removing the sensor? Thanks for any help you might give.

oldbluecelica
02-25-2004, 11:15 PM
maybe it just needs a basic servis, sometimes they just get tierd. but good luck with that

superjoe83
03-02-2004, 02:02 AM
the same problem happened to my 99 taco 4x4, to fix it, i first disconnected my battery and let it sit for one hour (airbag systems have a internal battery that you must let discharge, before you start messing with the system) i then pulled the console under the ash tray and behind it there is the air bag module, it will have some yellow plugs, unplug all of them and plug them back in, this fixed my air bag light, i belive that there was a bad connection in one of the connectors, and by removing it and reinstalling it makes a better connection. Good luck and hope this helps.

redtoy92
03-04-2004, 01:36 AM
the same problem happened to my 99 taco 4x4, to fix it, i first disconnected my battery and let it sit for one hour (airbag systems have a internal battery that you must let discharge, before you start messing with the system) i then pulled the console under the ash tray and behind it there is the air bag module, it will have some yellow plugs, unplug all of them and plug them back in, this fixed my air bag light, i belive that there was a bad connection in one of the connectors, and by removing it and reinstalling it makes a better connection. Good luck and hope this helps.

good info! I hope he trys and and if he gets that to fix it you should do a write up and post it for everybody to use! red

dfskinner
03-04-2004, 04:08 PM
Basically I had to do the same thing, but I only unhooked the battery. I left the battery undone overnight, and that solved the problem. (98 Tacoma 4X4)

wfcassidy
03-23-2004, 04:00 PM
I have a 99 Tacoma 2.4 L extd cab 2 wheel drive that just came from the dealer for its third episode with a flashing airbag light. I purchased this truck used last year and with in 3 months with about 45K miles on it the light came on. The dealer pulled the code and it indicated left side seat belt circuit. the dealer replaced the driver's side seat belt assembly (with pretensioners) and all was well for about four months when the light came on again. still under 60K Toyota did warrantee work and replaced the left front sensor as well as the main module and sensor under the radio/heater controls. the latter item has a pretty hefty price if you had to buy it. again all was well till about three weeks ago when the light came on again with no well over 60K. again the code was the same (all three times) but they now wanted $3-400 to replace the wiring harness to the drivers side seatbelt. I said no this is the same porblem all along and you have not found the intermittant problem. they saw the light and warrateed the replacement of the harness. My guess is the harness had a problem all along but it could be the connections that were not the best and each time they worked on it the connections were imporved for about four months.

ask me in four months whether they really cured it.

good luck

kberger
05-19-2004, 08:52 PM
I just got the same thing fixed today. Airbag light came on... Code 54 Passenger squib open connection. Don't know what this means, but it's fixed and the light is off. Good luck

Add your comment to this topic!