Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1995 Cruise Control problem

automan53
02-24-2004, 05:24 PM
The cruise control will only stay engaged for a few minutes at best, sometimes for only 5 seconds or so. Once it drops out, it cannot be re-engaged until the engine is turned off and restarted.

What do I look for? Many thanks.

Ron

03-24-2004, 07:51 AM
I had a similar problem. Whenever I turned on the A/c the cruise control would die. I would have to stop the car and shut off the engine before it would work again. It ended up being two sensors on the front of the engine that... controlled the fans I believe. When you turned on the A/c it kicks on the second fan and that in turn killed the cruise some how. No one knew which sensor to replace (there are two of the same) so they just picked one. Apparently it worked, I haven't had the problem in years. -C

creslevi
04-20-2004, 01:52 PM
my cruise was installed aftermarket, but by the dealer it is OEM, when he spurred onto one of the existing wires with a scotchlock it was too big for that wire and eventually lost connection, it took many hours of looking and testing by some very smart techs that could'nt find the problem before another Buick dealer tech found it and showed it to me, now its worked great for years, but I have an intermittent problem with my trunk release that was also added at the same time, I suspect the same thing with it but am too old and achey to work under the dash anymore, hope this helps Rick

waynen
05-21-2004, 09:49 AM
The cruise control will only stay engaged for a few minutes at best, sometimes for only 5 seconds or so. Once it drops out, it cannot be re-engaged until the engine is turned off and restarted.

What do I look for? Many thanks.

Ron
I would like to know what you found out. Mine does the same thing.

Wayne Nelson
wnelsonr@alliancecom.net

Bassasasin
05-30-2004, 07:09 PM
I took apart the cleaned vaccuum servo...brake vaccuum release solonoid (sounds harder than it is)

Remove the intake flex hose with a 1/4 drive socket just to make it easier.. Remove the vaccuum servo.. 3 5/32 screws.. and 2 hoses and throttle cable clip.. remove control electric plug...

ON a clean bench, being careful to hold with the cover being removed up remove coil cover ( 2 torx) don't break any wires.. .. Look at the top of the coils one will have a silver solonoid piston showing..
Carefully turn over unit on a clean table and tap out this solonoid piston plunger and a needle valve should follow, usually they fall out. With a paper towel clean plunger and hole it goes in.. clean needle valve (rod)ends .. If you want to clean the needle seat use a toothpick and lightly clean the seat deep in the hole I didn't do this and it still worked great! If you try this you can't see the seat maybee you can feel for it.. dont break off the toothpick.. a light cleaning no pressure one turn or 2 should do the trick .
Get all the brown stuff off.. no solvents..I sucked and blew on the large vaccuum connect hole while pressing the silver piston while it was still dissassembled to verify whats going on and such. Dirty me!
Reassemble in reverse putting the shiney neeedle end in first..
!
THATS IT>>>>

Dan.. In omaha...

Bassasasin
05-30-2004, 07:28 PM
I took apart "AND" cleaned the vaccuum servo OOPS

Tanks..Dan (bassasasom)

waynen
05-31-2004, 08:56 AM
Thanks for the information. Will give a try. Will let you know if it works.

Waynen

UOTE=creslevi]my cruise was installed aftermarket, but by the dealer it is OEM, when he spurred onto one of the existing wires with a scotchlock it was too big for that wire and eventually lost connection, it took many hours of looking and testing by some very smart techs that could'nt find the problem before another Buick dealer tech found it and showed it to me, now its worked great for years, but I have an intermittent problem with my trunk release that was also added at the same time, I suspect the same thing with it but am too old and achey to work under the dash anymore, hope this helps Rick[/QUOTE]

Bassasasin
05-31-2004, 04:21 PM
My LeSabre would flash cruise while I pressed and it would flash off. sometimes work and sometimes slow down with bumps in the road.. The servo sucks air from the engine compartment right into that valve.. I guess it gets dirty eventually. 178k miles here.. Heh..

waynen
06-01-2004, 09:51 AM
My LeSabre would flash cruise while I pressed and it would flash off. sometimes work and sometimes slow down with bumps in the road.. The servo sucks air from the engine compartment right into that valve.. I guess it gets dirty eventually. 178k miles here.. Heh..

Thanks for information. Will give a try

waynen

waynen
06-01-2004, 09:53 AM
I took apart "AND" cleaned the vaccuum servo OOPS

Tanks..Dan (bassasasom)

Thanks for info. Will give a a try

waynen

waynen
06-01-2004, 09:55 AM
I took apart the cleaned vaccuum servo...brake vaccuum release solonoid (sounds harder than it is)

Remove the intake flex hose with a 1/4 drive socket just to make it easier.. Remove the vaccuum servo.. 3 5/32 screws.. and 2 hoses and throttle cable clip.. remove control electric plug...

ON a clean bench, being careful to hold with the cover being removed up remove coil cover ( 2 torx) don't break any wires.. .. Look at the top of the coils one will have a silver solonoid piston showing..
Carefully turn over unit on a clean table and tap out this solonoid piston plunger and a needle valve should follow, usually they fall out. With a paper towel clean plunger and hole it goes in.. clean needle valve (rod)ends .. If you want to clean the needle seat use a toothpick and lightly clean the seat deep in the hole I didn't do this and it still worked great! If you try this you can't see the seat maybee you can feel for it.. dont break off the toothpick.. a light cleaning no pressure one turn or 2 should do the trick .
Get all the brown stuff off.. no solvents..I sucked and blew on the large vaccuum connect hole while pressing the silver piston while it was still dissassembled to verify whats going on and such. Dirty me!
Reassemble in reverse putting the shiney neeedle end in first..
!
THATS IT>>>>

Dan.. In omaha...
Thanks for Info. Will give it a try waynen

Bassasasin
08-27-2004, 05:46 PM
My problem came back.. eventually.. Apparently the PCM records the error of the vacuum vent side of that cruise servo.. If it doesnt see the proper resistance it errors. It appears it totals up the errors and kills the cruise control..
The latest is what I am experiencing..
Cruise was definately INOP. I replaced the Servo. Cruise worked about 5 times in a row and quit... practically permantely.
I coughed up the bucks for a PCM and the cruise came back. For two days now I have cruise. The error may be errased..
Maybee just resetting your PCM errors will fix it but I replaced it .. DUmb Me... whatever.. thus starting over..

SO.. its working today.. tomorro who knows..

creslevi
08-27-2004, 07:16 PM
I refer you to post # 3 on this thread, Once I found the bad connection with that scotchlock its worked ever since perfectly, But I still have an intermittent problem with my dash trunk release, Hopethis helps
Rick

waynen
08-28-2004, 10:18 AM
I had my servo cleaned. Put on a new rebuilt one, still didn't work, so put another rebuilt one on, then the codes changed, so mechanic looked up on the Web site that they have, showing the problems listed by General Motors. Said to change the switch behind the brake pedal. Put a new one on, and so far it works. The switch costs the mechanic $5. He didn't want to charge me for it, but I paid him something anyway.

Have your mechanic put up the information on the computer. It explains and has detailed drawings of the servo, and the brake switch, on how it is to be
set.

Waynen

Bassasasin
08-28-2004, 02:34 PM
Said to change the switch behind the brake pedal. Put a new one on, and so far it works.
Waynen

OPINION..
A cruise control running then dropping out is pointing to a vacuum leak on the vent side of the servo especially for periods of more than 2 seconds. When the Cruise light doesnt even light I would suppose a code is in the PCM disallowing the system till a power cycle.

WAYNEN
I had suck checked mine (pheew! :icon16:) and there are no vacuum leaks to the pedal. The large rubber hose to the Cruise servo is that brake pedal line.. I but symptom does match the ."works for just a flash" Also the leaky valve in the servo would be the same vent as a press of the brake pedal.. anyway as of this post New PCM has worked for 2 days.. wish me luck. You guys are cool.

RICK.
. as for your connector.. I dug down there and found no connection.. yet.. heh. .PS Rick take a short pipe for a tool and increase the trunk lid springs enough to just open all the way. I like it.

Bassasasin
08-31-2004, 06:22 PM
Waynen.. I amm my mechanic.. Heh..
LOL.. Ref your post.. hope you get this post..
PS.. Cruise still great.. 5 days now.

Add your comment to this topic!