Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Transmission Mainenance

savage_with_wrench
02-24-2004, 09:34 AM
Holy cow! Your transmission dumped at 50K? This is very much the exception than the rule. The only GM vehicle that I have needed to overhaul the transmission was a 64 catalina, and yes it was original. I owned a 99 venture with the same transmission until last year when I sold it before going overseas and had zero transmission problems with zero maintenance at 80k. I just take a look at the dipstick to make sure I have fluid and routinely inspected the engine bay for any leaks - including transmission fluid. In fact, I never had ANY fluid leaks at 80k miles with nothing more than routine filters and oil changes. GM owners do not need to sweat this any more than any other make.

rajjhauf
05-20-2004, 05:44 AM
The problems with my tranny happened fast, I do not have any leaks, oil, tranny, none and still dont. I park it in the garage and never a spot of anything. GM owners are sweating this more than other makes because it is a real problem. You can check all the service bulletins of this and read all the posts. I really like the van but a tranny should last longer than its first GM service, per GM owners manual. I bought the van with 20,000 miles on it and I have never pulled a trailer with it. I do know that they are not built the same as they built them in 1964.

Add your comment to this topic!