Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

944 Starting Problems (Cam Belt?)

Yellow 944
02-23-2004, 09:18 PM
I have a 1984 944 (non-turbo) and have a engine starting problem. The car was running fine and started running rough one evening pulling in the driveway. When I went to restart it a while later, it acted like a vehicle that had spun the timing belt. The engine turns over easily, almost faster than it normally would. I checked and the starter is turning over the engine, and after pulling off the distributor cap, is also still turning the cam. I have fire to the plugs also. Is it possible that the cam belt jumped time and would it make the engine turn over like I stated earlier? I am a bit perplexed on this one. Or is there something else I am overlooking here.

JJB924S
03-12-2004, 07:11 AM
944s are interference engines, when the timing belt skips or breaks the pistons can hit the valves and bend them. If they get bent, the won't seat properly and no compression. This could be why it seems to be spinning faster, no resistance from the compression.

JJ

Some1else
03-18-2004, 08:07 PM
I have a 1984 944 (non-turbo) and have a engine starting problem. The car was running fine and started running rough one evening pulling in the driveway. When I went to restart it a while later, it acted like a vehicle that had spun the timing belt. The engine turns over easily, almost faster than it normally would. I checked and the starter is turning over the engine, and after pulling off the distributor cap, is also still turning the cam. I have fire to the plugs also. Is it possible that the cam belt jumped time and would it make the engine turn over like I stated earlier? I am a bit perplexed on this one. Or is there something else I am overlooking here.

First, STOP turning it over!!!!!

Next you will want to pull the covers off the timing belt, balance shaft. You will need a larger 21-25 mm combo wrench, sorry, my car is at work, and I can't remember the size!. You will want to turn the crankshaft slowly till you can see the TDC marks. You should be able to tell from that if you slipped your timing belt.

For more info, go here!

http://www.clarks-garage.com

If you did break, or slip your timing belt, you are not going to be happy! Sorry!

Add your comment to this topic!