Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Keyless entry programming question

Everybodyduck
02-23-2004, 02:11 PM
Hi all! I purchased a second keyless entry fob for my 1998 A4, and found the instructions to program it in the service manual. However, when I attempted to program the new remote, I found that only one or the other of the remotes--the last one programmed--would work, not both. The serial numbers on the back of the remotes are very similar (4DO.837.231 D for one, 4DO.837.231 E on the other...don't know if this is a manufacture date but 26/99 stamped on one, and 04/00 on the other), but could this be a cross-functional problem with different model years, or something? Odd though that both remotes work with the car, just not at the same time. My local dealer is unwilling to even talk to me about w/o charging a $75 fee. Thanks for any suggestions!

Cbass94
02-24-2004, 08:19 PM
On audi's there are only a limited number of key fobs that can be programmed at once. If you use up all the 'spaces' for programming, you will have to delete the setting in one of the places. To do that you need some kind of diagnostic software (that is why the 'stealer' wants to charge you). If you know somebody who has a Vag-Com tool, they can do it for you, it's really easy. Where do you live? If you are near Utah, I can do it for you.

Glenn Peters
03-02-2004, 06:24 PM
Is this what you did ? Key in ignition, turned on. Drivers window open. Drivers door shut, key in door lock. Lock door with key, press lock button on remote 1 time(parking lights will flash once), wait 10 seconds, press unlock button on remote. Door unlocks. Lock door with key, press lock button 2 times(parking lights will flash twice), wait 10 seconds, press unlock button on remote.door unlocks. Open drivers door turn key off and remove. Try remotes. Sometimes it doesn't work on the first try.

Traian2003
03-02-2004, 07:38 PM
I just programmed my remote!!! I was going to pay 50 bucks at an Audi dealership to program it, but it worked!

Cheers,
TrAiAn

Add your comment to this topic!