Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Upgrading the suspension system on '93 Ultra

sudin36
02-23-2004, 01:39 PM
I'm planning to upgrade the suspension system on my 1993 Park Avenue Ultra. It has 117,000 miles and (of course) it doesn't ride as smooth as it used to. I thought that the car needed new struts and shocks. However, I just found out that there's a electronic suspension system in the car (the Dynaride?). Sometimes I can here the motor to the suspension system under the driver side of the hood when the car is off (even when the car is off for a long time). My question is.....how should I go about upgrading the suspension system to get a better ride? Also, why doesn't the motor to the suspension system stays off? Thanks.

Sudin36

tman
02-24-2004, 06:19 AM
Your hearing the ALC, Automatic Leveling Control. Because your struts are bad, the ALC is pumping them back up all the time to keep the car level. There are two types of factory shocks:

Dynaride- Gives a more floaty ride
Grand Touring- more firm, better performance

Depends on what you want. Count on the dealer charging ~900 dollars for parts and labor

sudin36
02-24-2004, 01:32 PM
Thanks,
So, I can't just go to any regular auto shop and have the struts replaced?

tman
02-26-2004, 05:43 AM
They are monroe brand struts for the GT suspension.

sudin36
02-26-2004, 03:05 PM
Thanks,
I hear that Monroe have a few different good struts, which one would be best suited for the GT suspension? Which one would be best suited to replace the DynaRide? You're right, I currently have the DynaRide -- it's a nice floaty ride. I would like to upgrade the system in two parts. First the front then the rear. What about the Automatic Leveling Control? How is that maintained and checked?

Thanks

Add your comment to this topic!