Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

97 Toyota Camry(HEAT PROBLEM)

theunknown
02-23-2004, 12:03 PM
My gf has a 97 Camry and her AC works great, but not her heat. It takes a very long time to get it heat up. Can someone tell me what's the problem is? Thanks so much in advance!

Brian R.
02-23-2004, 12:43 PM
Perhaps it needs a new thermostat. The old one may be stuck open. The thermostat prevents coolant circulation in a cold engine so that the engine may heat up to operating temperature more quickly. It also determines the engine operating temperature.

If it is old and stuck open, then the engine must heat up all the coolant before it can get hot. Also, if the outside temperature is too low, the engine may never get to operating temperature.

theunknown
02-23-2004, 12:46 PM
That wat I thought, but it has been replaced but still no heat. Heat Coolant?

Brian R.
02-23-2004, 12:48 PM
Then it is probably a blocked heater core. May also be a malfunctioning heater valve.

Brian R.
02-23-2004, 12:53 PM
Check to see if the engine takes a long time to heat up also. If so, you may have another bad thermostat. Not unheard of.

theunknown
02-23-2004, 01:46 PM
Wow a lot of tips. Thanks guys, BUT How do I diagnose the problem? Where do I check to see there is a blocked heater core? And how do I check to see if the engine takes a long time to heat up?

Brian R.
02-23-2004, 03:48 PM
Don't think you are getting alot of independent thinking on this issue, it is just me. :)

Judgement on the time it takes to heat up to engine depends on the outside temperature and the driving speed. If you have a 4 cyl, I would guess in 30 degree weather, driving at 40 mph, the engine should heat to the middle of the dial (operating temperature) in 5 - 10 min. Maybe someone with exactly your car can give a better estimate.

As far as the blocked heater core goes, I would make sure your thermostat is good first, then with the engine off, turn on the heater and disconnect the heater return hose. When you turn on the engine, coolant should flow out of the hose rather quickly unless the thermostat also cuts off flow to the heater. In that case, you will get coolant flow to the heater only after the thermostat opens. Turn the engine off immediately after you start to loose coolant. Reconnect the hose. If the flow is only a trickle, then it is likely that your core is blocked.

I think it is likely to be the core if your thermostat is good. I am not sure how to test the heater valve. It would depend on how your heater is set up.

yotatechie04
02-29-2004, 07:25 AM
I agree with Brian, the heater core is more than likely your problem. You'll want to check extensively though before running and replacing all kinds of stuff. I actually think that the heater valve is attached to one of the pipes on the heater core on the passenger side, and you can move the lever back and forth to see if it works. (Not for certain) Anyways, best of luck to you, and I hope you get it fixed.

Add your comment to this topic!