Daytime Running Lights

skotmxpx
02-23-2004, 10:17 AM
Hello. Got another wonderfull DRL question for everyone. I can't remember where I read it but on my 99 Blazer I read that I could disable the DRL's by - looking in the engine compartment fuse box for the DRL relay. If you just rip out the DRL Relay the headlights don't work correctly. So to fix this problem you take a small piece of wire and attach it to one slot on the relay to another. Well I did this and everything was working fine. The wire fell out one time so when I go to put it back in...but when I do I accendently put it in the wrong slot and I get a spark. Ever since then my DRL do not work (even when I plug the original relay back in)

So finally my question. What did I just do to my DRL? I think what I did is blow the actually DRL unit. If I did, where is that located, I cannot find it anywhere. The only reason I want to know how to fix this, is if I ever go and try to sell my blazer and someone asks about it.

Thanks alot, sorry about the length of this story/question.

Jeremy-WI
02-23-2004, 05:36 PM
I don't know where it is on a Blazer, but there is a diode or two on the DRL system that you may have burned out. The diode should have a symbol on it something like what is shown here http://www.the12volt.com/diodes/diodes.asp

onkyo
03-19-2004, 01:08 AM
engage the park brake, shuts the daytime driving lights right off, so i would imagine there is a switch on the park brake somewhere you could just tape up.

kyhillclimber
05-01-2004, 03:47 PM
to turn off the drl (and on some models the automatic headlights) while you are driving, push the dome override button four times. to start your blazer (at night) without the lights coming on, you set the parking brake, and then start the car. but you will still have to push the dome override 4 times to keep the lights off, after you release the parking brake.

97blazerct
05-05-2004, 02:20 PM
to turn off the drl (and on some models the automatic headlights) while you are driving, push the dome override button four times. to start your blazer (at night) without the lights coming on, you set the parking brake, and then start the car. but you will still have to push the dome override 4 times to keep the lights off, after you release the parking brake.

older models (upto 98?) you click the ebrake petal down ONE NOTCH. in newer ones.. you hit the dome override button 4x.

rblenkhorn
05-08-2004, 09:17 PM
In my 98 blazer the four pushes of the dome override button idea does not work, only the parking brake, in a friends 02 the four button idea doesnt work either.. hmm go figure

kyhillclimber
05-29-2004, 11:08 AM
that's wierd. i have a 2000 ls, and the manual says to hit the domeoveride to disable that drl, and the auto headlights.

truckguy04
05-30-2004, 10:34 PM
pushing the button four times on a '99 doesn't work, u gotta push down the parking break one click, or something else.

kyhillclimber
05-31-2004, 11:38 AM
i wasn't saying that it would work for everybody, maybe that is something chevy started later in the model year, or maybe certain packages had the option. it is weird though, i am the only one i know with a blazer that works that way. huh. well good luck trying to figure it out. i will try to myself, for the people who want to get rid of it entirely.

dsevern
06-01-2004, 02:15 PM
Does pushing the dome light override button 4x disable the DRL for just that time, ie from the time the key was turned until the next time you insert the key, or does it disable them until you re-enable them, somehow?

Is there a way to disable them, basically, permanently?

Also, on my 2004 Blazer extreme, the driving lights can only be turned on when the headlights (not the DRL) are on. Anyone know of a way to override this?

Rbraczyk
06-01-2004, 06:54 PM
This is why i like having a 94 K5. No DRL's!

Add your comment to this topic!