Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Painting & Polishing & Decals Question

Future Boy
02-22-2004, 03:26 PM
I've run into an interesting problem I haven't seen mentioned anywhere else:

I'm working on a Tamiya 1993 Toyota Celica World Rally Car, I've painted and primed it and it's drying at my friends, hobby shop now (will have been dry 72 hours by the time I get back there Tuesday). I used Duplicolor Automotive Primer and Toyota Super White II Automotive Paint (same as thee real car). This particular color also doesn't require a clear coat.

Anyway, I sprayed a couple small parts for testing a few days before the car, and I was just upstairs wetsanding it, and it looks good, though flat. So I use turtle wax rubbing compound, and Tamiya modeling wax, and compare it next to the other test part that still has the orange peel, and it looks great!

BUT: I still need to apply all the decals to the car. Will the decals stick to the waxed surface? Or if I apply them to the car after sanding to the flat surface, won't they silver?

primera man
02-23-2004, 02:30 AM
It would pay to wash the car with a mild soap/warm water to remove any wax on the body.

Ken B.
02-24-2004, 02:09 PM
To answer your last question, YES they will most definately silver. As a rule, you NEVER apply decals to a "flat" surface. That is why armor modelers who always work with flat paints always spray a coat of future over the paint on their tanks/aircraft/ships to get a nice glossy finish to accept decals. Then they go back over it with flat.

I read that you can use the Tamiya model wax over the decals and it wont rub them off since its in a mild liquid form.

Add your comment to this topic!