Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

problem getting into 1st

d4f4stnd4fur1uz
02-22-2004, 01:00 AM
have any of you had a problem getting into 1st gear from a dead stop?
if so, how would you fix it? one ghetto rigged solution was to go into second and then into 1st again. any ideas guys?

integralover
02-22-2004, 01:35 AM
need to know the basics, how many miles does the car have on it? how hard has the car been drivin? it could be the snycro going into first. only way to fix that is to have it rebuilt. professionally. but the only ghetto way to fix it is to go into 2nd or 3rd and then into first.

d4f4stnd4fur1uz
02-22-2004, 01:02 PM
there are 117k miles on the car, not quite sure how hard it was driven. but do you think it really could be the syncros? how much would that cost to fix?

dderolph
02-24-2004, 01:22 PM
Has this been getting gradually worse? Might be the clutch. A bad clutch can cause that. Gets to the point where you simply can't get the transmission into first gear. However, if you can get it into other gears, that may indicate synchros rather than clutch; I believe a bad clutch is going to make it difficult to go into any gear at a dead stop. A bad clutch would not be likely at 117K miles with moderate driving habits, but under harsh driving, the clutch could need replacing.

d4f4stnd4fur1uz
02-24-2004, 04:27 PM
any idea how much it would cost to replace the syncros?

dderolph
02-25-2004, 10:06 AM
I don't what it would cost. As you probably know, the cost of mechanical service can vary quite a bit from one shop to another; the dealerships are generally the highest cost option, although they may also generally be the best quality. If you know of an independent shop with a good reputation, you may get the work done for significantly less than a dealership. Actually, you can probably get some estimates by simply making a phone call. Just tell them what the problem is and ask them what it would cost to replace a synchronizer.

integralover
02-25-2004, 02:18 PM
I had asked a reputable shop near me and found the price to be approx. $1,200. yea, that is what they gave me and that is with me bringing them the tranny. but I also look at it this way, you pay for what you get. but if you look around on ebay you might find a used tranny in good condition for significantly cheaper.

Add your comment to this topic!