Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Engine "smells" hot

vhandobi
02-21-2004, 04:02 PM
I drive my car about 50 miles each way to work 5 times a week (interstate driving). I notice that when I get to work or when I get home, that when getting out of the car, I "smell" a hot engine.

I have checked a couple of things (fan, coolant, etc.) and nothing seems unusual. My temp gague shows well within normal temp and I don't have a check engine light come on.

Is this just expected due to the smaller engines, or could there be something else wrong? I 'm pretty sure my temp gague is not broken as it does rise during my commute.

Is it possible my thermostat is bad/going bad? I'd assume I'd see the indications of a bad thermostat.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Flatrater
02-21-2004, 06:37 PM
What does a hot engine smell like??

vhandobi
02-21-2004, 08:20 PM
I find it hard to describe in words what a "hot" engine smells like. I guess if I had to describe it, I'd say something like a cross between an empty, hot radiator (without the smell of coolant) and an engine that has a non-working fan.

Then again, maybe I am just imagining things.

Flatrater
02-22-2004, 06:09 PM
Only reason I ask is because HOT does not have a smell. Either you are smelling engine oil, coolant, trans fluid, or grease. Try washing your engine off and see what happens. You are smelling something burning and you have to figure out what is burning.

Add your comment to this topic!