Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

3800 engine swap 2000 into 1997

woods_man
02-21-2004, 07:50 AM
Darn, my 97 LeSabre engine died at 172K miles. I'm not complaining, a bit disappointed. I have had better luck in the past, with 3800 engines, but didn't buy this car new. I am intending to put another 3800 engine from a 2000 LeSabre into the car. I'm told that I will need to change the oil pan and harmonic balancer-use the ones off the 97. The oil pan makes sense, but I'm trying to understand whether swapping the harmonic balancer is really the right thing to do. Isn't the harmonic balancer specific to the engine? So if it is changed it will not be in balance?
Or is there something in the computer that has different timing on the 97 compared to the 2000? Anybody know for sure?

gonenuts15792
04-09-2004, 09:12 PM
Your best bet is to try and replace the engine in the '97 with the same model year 3.8. You will be less likely to have compatibility problems with different components.

buickmastermind
10-10-2004, 10:26 PM
Umm... if the vin code had the same engine code on yours as the one your swapping out of, then your okay. Some connectors may be different, but thats easy to fix. The harmonic balancer is on the motor, and stays on the motor. The motor in my car is from an 87 PA, and I have a 86 LeSabre. No problems. As long as you aren't tearing apart the motor, and get the psrts mixed up, you should be fine. NEVER SWITCH THE HARMONIC BALANCER OFF OF ONE MOTOR INTO ANOTHER. The oil pan shouldn't need to be switched. As for the Computer, Same engine code on the VIN, same computer.

Add your comment to this topic!