Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Should I? SL600

wings700
02-21-2004, 07:11 AM
Have an opportunity to buy a new 04 SL600. Any thoughts positive or negative? Has AMG sport package and Keyless Go. V12 with 493HP and 590lbs/ft of torque.

cds51494
06-13-2004, 09:45 PM
If you have the cash, and it won't alter your life in any big way, GO FOR IT.

sillydriver
06-15-2004, 07:31 AM
I own an 04 SL600 and love it, although I wouldn’t as much had I not spent $6k on Renntech’s engine and transmission software upgrade. In stock form the car has kind of a strange mushy throttle response at lower speeds. I had previously owned an 03 SL55 for about 9 months, but sold it back to the dealer because of reliability problems. With the modifications, I definitely prefer the 600 to the 55, although I miss the 55’s the engine noise.

ronnieadams
08-04-2004, 09:34 AM
is any one looking too have there payments taken over? iam looking for a sl55 if anyone can help me please e mail or pm me thanks

finally_retired
08-06-2004, 06:59 PM
I have had and S600 for 7 months now, and was so pleased with it, that I brought an SL600 too. It is fantastic, as for mushy throttle response, I dont think so...
Ok, As a non AMG car, the suspension is softer, and the V12 sounds a little more sophisticated than the V8, it lacks the outlandish nature of a sports car that could boarder on unpractical. Its totally useable in any condition, and is a rewarding drive. If you have the chance, go for the panoramic roof, Its a great feeling with the top up and down then.
You could have my SL as it is being sold in 9 days time, but i have had a buyer lined up since I recived the car. I am awaiting the delivery of an SL65, also in 9 das time.

LovinSL600
10-22-2004, 12:58 PM
I own an 04 SL600 and love it, although I wouldn’t as much had I not spent $6k on Renntech’s engine and transmission software upgrade. In stock form the car has kind of a strange mushy throttle response at lower speeds. I had previously owned an 03 SL55 for about 9 months, but sold it back to the dealer because of reliability problems. With the modifications, I definitely prefer the 600 to the 55, although I miss the 55’s the engine noise.

The slower response at lower speeds on the SL600 is exactly how the car is intented to perform. Both the SL600 and SL55 both go from 0-60 in 4.5 seconds except that the SL55 has all its power immediatley off the line and the SL600 picks up all its power at 1800 RPM's.

The SL55 suspension is a tighter suspension than the SL600 so you will not get as smooth ride.

When you add the Renntech to the SL600, you get the smoother ride from the suspension but it juices up the engine to act more like the SL55 and it is fast. Incredibly fast.

So...its a matter of preference and money.

Houston97SL600
01-07-2005, 11:02 AM
I am new to the forum, but would like to know if Renntec engine and transmission software upgrade is available for 1997 SL600 and where I could get the update?

LovinSL600
01-07-2005, 01:46 PM
I am new to the forum, but would like to know if Renntec engine and transmission software upgrade is available for 1997 SL600 and where I could get the update?

RennTech is located in South Florida and they are the one you should call. See link below.

http://www.renntechmercedes.com/

G35XAndTrailBlazer
01-21-2005, 08:08 AM
ok, now what do you people do for a job? because if you cant type, you certainly dont own two $150,000 cars

finally_retired
01-21-2005, 09:03 AM
What exactly is that supposed to mean?

G35XAndTrailBlazer
01-25-2005, 05:24 PM
Well obviously none buys two very expensive cars cars but they can barely type.

"I have had and S600 for 7 months now, and was so pleased with it, that I brought an SL600 too. It is fantastic, as for mushy throttle response, I dont think so...
Ok, As a non AMG car, the suspension is softer, and the V12 sounds a little more sophisticated than the V8, it lacks the outlandish nature of a sports car that could boarder on unpractical. Its totally useable in any condition, and is a rewarding drive. If you have the chance, go for the panoramic roof, Its a great feeling with the top up and down then.
You could have my SL as it is being sold in 9 days time, but i have had a buyer lined up since I recived the car. I am awaiting the delivery of an SL65, also in 9 das time."

oh please. And you post on AF because? shouldent you be out trying to pay for the cars? BTW what honestly makes you think you need a HUGE 5 passenger Sedan? would it have been more justifiable to just get an E AMG?

Then you buy a totaly impractical SL.

BTW: your little syaing in your sig is so... i dont even know. It is just stupid. You love Mercedes SLs? but you arent a wife to a footballer? How rqacist sounding is that? you love them so much, Marry the overpriced femine car.

i am just stateing my opinion, that i hardely believe you and you spent your money on somthing worthless. Now your getting an Sl65? go get a vette or somthing that isent a mushy footballer wife car.

And I'm not starting a flame ball here. People like you just irritate me. Dont go tattling to a mod either. Because this is basically my first ever bad post. I'm just getting so fed up with people that talk like you do. You think you need a big fancy statis symbol to look good. Your as bad as the teenagers who say their dads have Ferraris.

Maybe you do have them. I dont care. I dont even know why i am here. I dont much care for the SLs, i just want you (a guy) to get somthing for about half the price and more masculine, and have better perfomrance statistics.

Dont be pissed. I have nothing against you but your car.

G35x

LikeMyV8
01-31-2005, 11:43 AM
G35XAndTrailBlazer, you dig into people big time for their faulty spelling, but you can't spell yourself. (Hint: A car's nature usu. doesn't "boarder" on "unpractical", though it might "border" on "impractical".)

Who are you to tell people what cars to buy and not to buy?

Why are you telling people to be "out there paying for the cars" rather than posting on AF? How do you know how they paid for their cars? Perhaps they inherited money, or already had their money and paid their brand-spanking-new SL55s and SL600s? We have no way of knowing, and it's nobody's business but theirs in the first place.

Add your comment to this topic!