Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Renault 19 engine cutting out during in hot weather

arthurjenner
02-21-2004, 12:43 AM
I live in the state of New South Wales in Australia.
own a 1994 Renault 19 automatic which I bought new. Last year(February 2003) during a very hot summer spell (circa 38 degC) I was driving home to Blackheath(altitude 1065 metres) in the Blue Mountains from Penrith (altitude 40 metres aprox). I reached Blaxland(altitude 250 metres approx.) when the engine spluttered and died). I assumed fuel vapourisation. I waited about half an hour and managed to drive another 10 kilometres or so when the same thing happened. This happened continually all the way home . All through the remanider of the year the car ran perfectly until the summer began. This time the problem started early in the summer and now occurs regularly. I thought, as I said, it may br vapourisation. It usually happens when the engine has reached normal operating temperation. Once it happens, it continues to happen until the engine cools right down. I have suspected faulty thermostat and changed it with no improvement. I suspected blocked fuel filter. Changed it. No improvement. I supected Poor fuel tank ventilation so ran with fuel cap open. No improvement. Mechanic suggests heat related ignition problem. Doesn't sound lokely to me. Any sugestions?

Add your comment to this topic!