Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

AHHH!!! Enamel Thinner!!!

StephenDeli
02-20-2004, 10:08 PM
Today I was detailing a body. I used enamel to detail over my lacquer body. A little black enamel leaked through the mask I put over it. I decided that I would take it off with enamel thinner. :banghead: Well it did take the enamel off like I wanted... But it took off the lacquer as well!!! I had no clue that enamel thinner takes off lacquer!! :banghead:

If anybody knows any quick fixes for this problem let me know... At this point if anybody has any ideas let me know

RallyRaider
02-21-2004, 01:36 AM
A bit to late to help you now, but in future you may like to try scraping off the enamel over paint with a toothpick. That's what I do and it works a treat especially if you get it before the enamel is full cured.

How big is the area of lacquer paint that came off? If you have a good quality airbrish and good masking skills you could try sanding back, masking, spraying the area, then 'feathering' the new paint into the old with some very fine wet and dry sandpaper. Would work even better if you can mask off using the panel lines, just like a real panel repair.

lotus_man
02-21-2004, 02:17 AM
What brands of paint/thinner were you using? It's no help to you now, but it's not a problem I've ever had before, and I often use enamels over auto-laquers...

StephenDeli
02-21-2004, 10:59 AM
I was using Tamiya lacquer and Model Master's (testors) enamel.

Unfortunatly I dont have an airbrush. So I guess its time to strip and paint again

Add your comment to this topic!