Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Removing 02 Censor

Creepingdeath
02-20-2004, 08:05 PM
When I got my intake and headers installed, they disingaged the 02 censor which made my car MUCH faster. I took it back to get fixed cuz i have to get the car smogged in the next week. What I was wondering, is after I smog it should I take it off again. Is this bad for the engine. Could someone explain why it makes it faster? Thx

casperGSR
02-20-2004, 09:35 PM
taking out your O2 sensor should in no way make your car faster or increase your horsepower... all it is is a sensor.... it just measures the exhaust fumes...

tegboi
02-21-2004, 12:00 PM
02 sensors can change ur mixture of air and fuel. it might just have you run a bit richer. have u noticed any mpg drop?

Creepingdeath
02-21-2004, 01:37 PM
02 sensors can change ur mixture of air and fuel. it might just have you run a bit richer. have u noticed any mpg drop?
I did not drive it enough to notice the mpg drop. I'm guessing it ran richer, but how much of an effect would it have on the mpg? and would it be worth it. If it has a big effect, I can leave it on, then when I go racing remove it again. This would prolly be the smartest idea. However, does it always run rich? or could it run dry? Any info is help

tegboi
02-21-2004, 02:59 PM
im not fully sure on how it works at all times. but the 02 sensor starts a open loop, then later when the car warms up, it runs on a closed loop that is remembered in the ecu. but you also loose air through the 02 sensor bung. ur better off keeping it on, and upgrading parts under the hood..

whtteg
02-21-2004, 03:46 PM
Put it back on there are a few things that will happen to the motor if you don't, 1 the motor will fall into limp mode when it goes into closed loop and 2 the motor will be running way rich and you will not be able to rev over 3.5K rpm. Also the motor running rich will wash the cylinder walls with gas.

tegboi
02-21-2004, 06:25 PM
and you dont want that.. :)

Creepingdeath
02-21-2004, 06:28 PM
thx a grip Whtteg. I was kinda guessing there was a downside to it other the mpg. I'll make sure not to do that again :)

got v-tec?
02-21-2004, 06:53 PM
ya when my o2 sensor was broke i was running way rich and lost about 3 tenths of my 1/4

Add your comment to this topic!