Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

EGR/code 32

jwack
02-20-2004, 03:57 PM
I have a '94 GMC Jimmy 4X4 with 106,500 miles. My "service engine soon" light has been coming on after operating the vehicle for about 20 minutes. When I restart the vehicle, the light is off.

During a recent oil change, I had the mechanic read the trouble code. It read code #32/EGR system failure, although the service light wouldn't come on while the mechanic had it.

In looking back at my repair paperwork, I've had the EGR valve and gasket replaced twice within a year as recent as two years ago.

The vehicle is good shape and runs well. I'm trying to avoid dumping much more repair money into it. Any suggestions? Does an EGR problem affect performance or safety?

Is there an easy way to disable the "service engine soon" light?

jake6864
07-27-2004, 02:34 AM
Known problem with jimmys. My 1994's EGR valve goes out at least every 30,000. Don't waste your money either hit with a hammer (not to hard) or take it off and clean it.

Teaman3
08-27-2004, 01:08 AM
The EGR is activated if the computer thinks the engine is too hot. Clean out the cooling system and fit a new thermostat. Check that the temperature sender for the computer is accurate. I think the GM engine is prone to getting "hot spots". I've measured the temperature swings. Top gear cruising is around 50 deg C, town work 60 - 65. When the engine is switched off, the temperature climbs to around 80. A restart would likely trip the EGR.

In all the EGR is more of a nuisance than a pain. As Jake says, clean it.

It's your cue to check that the engine is running ok when code 32 arises.

After 50 engine starts of no fault, the code number is erased I believe.

Don't disable the "Service Engine Soon" light, it's an early warning system to tell you something's wrong.

Add your comment to this topic!