Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Headers

HondaSpeed
02-20-2004, 09:45 AM
I am thinking of purchasing some headers... is it worth it and can I install them myself? Or should I upgrade my intake, which seems dumb, but I have the opportunity to upgrade a no name brand to an AEM one.

Thanks.

93hybridaccord
02-20-2004, 03:35 PM
I am thinking of purchasing some headers... is it worth it and can I install them myself? Or should I upgrade my intake, which seems dumb, but I have the opportunity to upgrade a no name brand to an AEM one.

Thanks.

First off, it's a header, you don't have 2 of them, there is only 1. Second, if you don't have an exhaust, it won't do much. Third, it can be done on your own, but if you are asking if you can do it, you probably can't. As far as the intake, it won't be worth it if it costs money.

HondaSpeed
02-20-2004, 03:59 PM
Well how complex is the installation? And exhaust will eventually follow.

Maple50175
02-20-2004, 04:46 PM
The header is east.. there are 4 or 5 bolts holding it on... get a chiltons or a helms.. they help alot... if you get headers.. get dcsports ones.. unless you want cheap no name e-bay ones... also i would get the Apexi world sport catback because its the best exahust setup to get the most HP.. as far as air intake goes.. id do that last and get the aem cold air on ebay

93hybridaccord
02-20-2004, 04:56 PM
The header is east.. there are 4 or 5 bolts holding it on... get a chiltons or a helms.. they help alot... if you get headers.. get dcsports ones.. unless you want cheap no name e-bay ones... also i would get the Apexi world sport catback because its the best exahust setup to get the most HP.. as far as air intake goes.. id do that last and get the aem cold air on ebay

man, I want the exhaust manifold you have cause mine had more than 4 or 5 bolts.

It is pretty simple, just takes some time. First off, you need to take off the heat shield, that's like 4 or 5 bolts. Then you'll take off the 9 bolts that hold the exhaust manifold on. Then you'll need to get under the car and undo the downpipe from the rest of your exhaust. Don't let me scare you into taking it to someone, just letting you know it will take some time to do. As far as the header itself, dc sports does make a very good 4-2-1 header which is what I have.

F23A4Racer750IL
02-22-2004, 10:38 AM
get intake 1st either AEM or Injen. then for header and exhaust i would so wit a DC Sports and Greddy EVO 2, Greddy SP2, APEXi N1, or like maple said APEXi WS.

Igovert500
02-22-2004, 03:10 PM
I have hedmen 4-2-1 headers for my 90 accord I'm trying to sell, it's back in philly right now, and I'm in New York, but if you're interested, PM me, It'll fit 90-92 accords. Also, the debate rages over name brands vs. ebay stuff. IMHO, save your money and go with ebay. If you already have a cone filter cold air intake, stay with that. If not, get one for 30 bucks on ebay. As far as exhaust, find something that you like the sound of, because many will drone at different speeds, mine drones at 80. But if you want my advice, buy a muffler online, then take it to meineke and get them to build you a catback. You'll save plenty of money and despite what some say, your not missing out on any hp. My friend had a 92 accord with name brand stuff, I had the cheap intake, and meineke built exhaust, I did get my header and muffler from airdynamicracing.com, but we always raced and we were evenly matched. 93hybrid is correct though, you can do it yourself, but it will take some time.

If you end up doing it yourself, be prepared for a little smoke, as the new paint might burn off, also, replace all your gaskets, get copper ones they cost like 8 dollars, you'll need two. When I did mine, I reused the original gaskets, and got 2 exhaust leaks within a month and had to go back and do it over and fix it, so save yourself the trouble and replace the gaskets with new copper ones. And lastly, retorque the bolts on it after 50 miles, or they will loosen up a bit.
Wow, that was more then I planned to write..hope it helps.

F23A4Racer750IL
02-22-2004, 04:39 PM
exactley not ur not missing out on hp and saving money. but as far the exhaust goes it will sound like pure shit. custom piping is fine and cheaper but get a muffler like an APEXi N1 universal , Blitz Nur Spec universal, or an HKS universal muffler

HondaSpeed
02-24-2004, 11:31 AM
Thanks for the help. It is a 95 Accord so your header won't work. I am now looking for a new exhaust system. I drive this car all the time so I want one that is fairly quiet. If you have any suggtions on a everyday drivable system that would be great.

F23A4Racer750IL
02-25-2004, 05:51 PM
GReddy SP, DC Sports, Greddy EVO, APEXi WS. there the quietiest ive herd.

SenseiAccord
02-25-2004, 08:55 PM
Hmm i was wondering if there is really a difference with the 90-93 accord ex and lx/dx motors because DC makes 2 different headers for a 90-93 accord. They have one for a EX and one for DX/LX models. Its shouldnt matter right since it is almost the exact same motor.

I was also wondering if Ractive is a good header brand because i was thinking of picking one up on ebay ($125 or so) and supposedly retail is $250 or something. Thanx accord fans for the help!

Gold'n
02-26-2004, 12:53 AM
Spend cheap, get cheap. If you cant weld, dont do your own exhaust. Fuckin clamps are shit.They can work a little but its a waste. As far as install time. The only way it should take more than 1/2 and hour to replace the stock manifold with a header is if you snap a stud off in the head.

I like my DC header and Apexi exhaust. Im asshole with my cash so I bout the most expensive cold air intake filter they had at Racing Concepts. However, cold air intake is bullshit if you dont isolate your intake from the engine compartment. But as with everything when it comes to building horses, you have to have balance to get the true potential out of every part installed.

Igovert500
02-28-2004, 05:21 PM
I am not sure if they have different motors, but if I remember correctly, I read somewhere that the ex puts out 10hp more then the other models. I am assuming that this is to comensate for the weight of any extra luxuries it has over them, however I am not sure if it's the same motor. If they make 2 different headers...it's probably for a good reason, I'd go with the correct one.. even if it's the same motors, it might come down to fitment issues.

speedsters9
04-24-2004, 02:23 PM
I have an 90 ex-r and it has around 5 more hp than the lx/dx because of a different stock header. The motor on all 90's are the same except for a difference in the header and the intake manifold on the ex models.

Add your comment to this topic!