Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

98 Blazer v6 How to remove fan?

mjsjake
02-19-2004, 12:14 AM
I have a 98 blazer v6 and I am trying to remove the fan and clutch to get to the water pump. I have removed the radiator housing and belt.

Which way does the fan bolt nut need to be turned? And what is the best way to keep the water pump shaft from turning?
Thanks

mjsjake
02-19-2004, 11:38 AM
FYI...I found a tool from a local NAPA Dealer. It is designed to lock onto the bolts of the belt housing so you can turn the fan/clutch nut.

Part# SER 3471
Universal Pully Holder/Fan Clutch Tool.
(It is designed to work with: GM 4.3L, 5.0L and 5.7L engines)

amac209
02-19-2004, 09:11 PM
i believe it has conventional threads(left loosens) i've never used one of those tools i just leave the belt on put the wrench on and give it a good smack on the end with a hammer the impact breaks it free

mb66
03-09-2004, 11:17 PM
does anyone know for certain if the fan has conventional threads. i tried to remove mine today with the Ford tools (that don't fit
very well and can't get it to budge in either direction).

someone in another thread said the Ford fan clutch tool kit worked
well for them (and it was what the local Autozone had to loan),
but the wrench keeps slipping off the bolt heads for me).

i may try the using two pieces of metal inserted under two of the
bolts (as was shown in another thread also), but i want to know
which way to apply the pressure.

TIA

Jeremy-WI
03-10-2004, 08:02 AM
Should be able to loosen the fan clutch by turning it the same direction the fan turns when the engine runs, if it loosened the other way it could come off with the engine running.

Realitydept
03-11-2004, 02:17 PM
the threads are conventional. On my wife's '96 Jimmy, I had to use a belt wrench to hold the pulley while loosening the hub. It was a b#t#h to get off, but it eventually gave away.

Ed

mb66
03-11-2004, 09:07 PM
got the job done. i tried a strap wrench but it broke. i finally bolted some metal under the pulley bolts that made sort of a handle, which caught the power steering pulley allowing me to put enough torque on the thing (with a pipe extension on a very big cresent wrench to get the thing off.

dogtired78
10-01-2004, 05:49 PM
I'm a little confused. I removed the four bolts on my fan clutch (short and stubby)...is the thing supposed to slide off the shaft? Or do I have to brace the shaft and "spin" the fan clutch off?

Add your comment to this topic!