Why the Skyline is not sold in America

Pages : [1] 2

BBD
04-27-2001, 02:39 AM
first of all I would like to thank you all for loving this car old new future whatever :D

people might ask why its not sold in the US. 1st Americans are Ignorant people, they banned Skylines the REAL WRX Mitsubishi Evo's the good cars yes, WHY you might ask well here is the theory I like to go by.

Is those cars where released in the US Who would be the idiot to buy a Corvette, Viper, Mustange Camaro and all that V8 Junk America has to offer, Their sales would go threw the floor no one would even think about them anymore in 2 years time.

I would also like add the Skyline GTR 32, 33 and 34 are sold ONLY in California by a private dealer how on earth he got them here I have no idea they are still right hand drive. I heard some rumors that the Skyline GTR 33 can be converted to left hand drive by using the Nissan Blue Bird Dash board. the GTR34 well I hope I would be going back to Arabia soon and have the money to buy a new one and think about how the hell to convert it to left hand drive. it is gona be very tricky because I hear the turbos are located at the left hand side of the car and their is not much space to work with.

PS* New Chevy Impala in the US is inline 6 ,,,, the new Chevy Impala in Aussie land is a V8 WOOOT I LOVE YOU GUYS DOWN UNDER you truley know what cars to have :)

enzo@af
04-27-2001, 03:12 AM
Well, the problem with converting to left hand drive is the turbo, correct?

But, I disagree with your theory. People would still buy mustangs and camaros, and people would definitely still buy 'vettes.

200sx
04-27-2001, 08:49 AM
they would buyem (american cars), but the whole point of bussines is thinking on the future, the young ones like me would be more attracted to the idea of a small car (affordable) that could kick the crap out of any other super car. I think he is right, there is definetly a fear about what would hapen if they brought all the good jap cars to the US.

Racer 20
04-27-2001, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by BBD

Is those cars where released in the US Who would be the idiot to buy a Corvette, Viper, Mustange Camaro and all that V8 Junk America has to offer, Their sales would go threw the floor no one would even think about them anymore in 2 years time.

PS* New Chevy Impala in the US is inline 6 ,,,, the new Chevy Impala in Aussie land is a V8 WOOOT I LOVE YOU GUYS DOWN UNDER you truley know what cars to have :)

Whats the problem? First you say that V8s are junk in America then you praise tehV8s from the down under?? Foolish! :mad: Most of the Aussie high perfomance cars (Tickford and HSV) ARE basically American! I LOVE Austrilaian cars. But do they have a Corvette ZO6 or Hennessy Venom equivilent (basically American cars that run with Ferraris and lambs) ? Not really. (correct me if I'm wrong ):D

Chris
04-27-2001, 07:19 PM
Yeah, all the cool Aussie cars use american V8's. I like HSV, I think they should rebadge one as a Caddy Catera, then it would be the caddie that zigs!
Those jap cars arent here because they don't pass the crash test or emiissions test or they sell all they can make in the rest of the world. This may change, though, as companies look for 'halo' models. Lets just say that big american V8 buyers probably aren't interested in the jap stuff, and vice-versa.
SKYLINE RULES!!!! (under 8 minutes at the Nurbrigting!)

Heep
04-27-2001, 07:50 PM
I don't see why they ban small 4 or 6 cylider Japanese cars, then let half the population burble around in their big-a$$ed SUV's and pickup trucks. I think people would still buy Mustangs and stuff, just look at Kentucky and Tennesee and all the NASCAR folk. :D:D

enzo@af
04-28-2001, 01:53 AM
It's "nurburgring"

Jay!
05-02-2001, 03:09 AM
Originally posted by Racer 20

(basically American cars that run with Ferraris and lambs) ?

If your car can't run with a lamb, get a new car.

J/K ;)

Chris
05-02-2001, 08:37 AM
Ha ha!
Yes, I realize a spelt Nurburgring wrong.

VQuick
05-02-2001, 10:44 AM
They didn't 'ban' cars like the Skyline, Lancer Evo, and Impreza WRX. These cars just can't be sold here either because of not meeting crash test or emissions standards.
The Skyline will be coming to the US soon. it might not be called the Skyline, as it will probably be sold as an Infiniti(Nissan's luxury marque).
A 275+hp Lancer Evo VII is on it's way as well. It's been upgraded to a newer, more refined platform, and the front end styling has been toned down to conform to US crash test standards.
The Impreza WRX is already here, albeit in 227hp form. The STi tuned versions with 276hp will be here soon also.

Not all Americans drive 'big @$$, gas-guzzling V8s.' I'm a prime example of the opposite, and I'm a Texan, no less. I drive a '99 Nissan Maxima with the award winning VQ30DE V6. It's the normally aspirated version of the proposed engine for the next JDM Skyline. My father drives an '89 Maxima with the VG30E engine that powered the Z31 300ZX(Fairlady Z) at the time. I will admit my mom has a V8 powered 1995 GMC Suburban, but she doesn't like it. She'd rather have a Z32 300ZX or the upcoming 2003 model.
Not everyone fits your little stereotype. You need to get out more.:)

Chris
05-02-2001, 02:55 PM
Your right, but your mom doesn't have kids at home, so its her (and her husband??) with a 8-9 passenger, gas-guzzler. Even though she doesn't like it, it still is wrong:mad:

SkYLiNeFrEaK
05-03-2001, 01:01 PM
Now i read something in magazine a few monthts back, and it had a small paragraph reguarding Skylines being converted to left hand drive, and being brought over to the US, but this won't come cheap ethier. Well i have is 3 words for Nissan and that is JUST BRING IT!!!

I really wish they would just BRING the damn thing over here, and you would see alot more of us driving around in our R32,R33,R34, or even our R35's when they come out. COME ON nissan, you can do it. Just don't make our Skylines dumbed down versions of the Japanese ones.:D :flash:

BBD
05-03-2001, 01:34 PM
U want to see Left hand skylines ,,, go to www.toprpm.com

BTW Converstions only work with the 33 and below the GTR34 has not been converted to my knowledge yet

uses the Nissan Blue Bird Dash Board

VQuick
05-03-2001, 01:52 PM
My mom does indeed have a kid at home...namely myself.;) She uses the Suburban for a lot of her gardening and crafts junk, and we've used it for several driving vacations. Our Maximas can't carry all our gear, and there aren't really any wagons that can compare with the Suburban's storage space. We also have a lot of friends who end up using the third row seat quite often.
If the Suburban doesn't die before this summer, we're going to take it to Florida again for the umpteenth time. Maybe when I move out, my dad will get my mom that new Z.:D

Chris
05-03-2001, 02:43 PM
Ok, that makes some sense. But then again, if you bought a wagon and made 2 trips (some wagons come with seating for 7 still), you would save lots of the purchase price, lots for gas, insurance would be less,and it would be better to drive! You could use the left-over money to fly to Florida. Someone should tally something up (I will if I feel like it, maybe)
But at least your mom's not a single women with no kids who lives just out of the city on a small lot, and drives 1.5 hours through heavy traffic everyday to get to work..... Those people I HATE!!!!!!:flipa: :flipa: :flipa: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil:

05-06-2001, 06:48 PM
ever had some guy in a camaro, firebird, or monte carlo boast about their car being built in the good ole US of A? theyre pretty dumb, cause all the recent models were built in Canada. you gotta better chance to buy a nissan built here, some are built in mexico.

Chris
05-07-2001, 09:45 AM
Thats true. Same with the BMW Z3, its built in the states. Honda Accord is to, I think, so is the Camry, MDX, etc. Its like no one wants to build in their home country!
Oh yah, my moms friend will be buying a wagon, cuz SUV's and minivans are stupid. They might get the Passat. Also, the dad is a driver, to, and he loves European cars.

Morpheus XIII
06-06-2001, 01:42 AM
OK, getting back on topic, here are some bits and pieces of data that I've accumulated over the years regarding why the Skyline hasnt seen U.S. shores:

1) In order to mass produce the Skyline for the U.S. Nissan would need to design a left-hand drive configuration which was not possible because the RB26DETT's twin-turbos were located exactly where the left-side steering shaft would need to be. Engineers proposed creating a mirror image powerplant, with the exhaust manifold on the right side of the bay, but the idea was scratched because estimated costs of the additional R&D + factory changes were higher than expected return from U.S. Skyline sales.

2) Japanese cars have to meet certain company guidelines before it is decided whether or not they should be sold in other countries; there has to be a significant reason why a specific car should be exported. Japanese sports cars especially need to have strong roots in the country of destination, and since the Skyline never existed here in the U.S. ever in the past, if it were introduced the consumers would most likely not take notice. It wouldnt be an effective expenditure of time and money to redesign a car just so that it may drive on the other side of the road, in countries who had no knowledge of the car's history.

3) Now, why was it never brought here earlier during the 80s, when Japanese sports cars were numerous? The early R30 Skyline models had no place in the States because its role was already filled--by the ever so popular Z line. Compare the Skyline's history to other Japanese sports cars that actually exist here in the States: Mazda's RX-7 has been here since the 70s, but even with such deep roots, importing ceased. The Supra has been here since its birth when it separated from the Celica--yet the car was axed from Toyota's lineup, even with their firm financial status. Would Nissan, especially with a failing business, really want to send out a sports car to a country where Japanese sports cars are digging their own graves?

4) U.S.'s SUV preference.

Perhaps times are changing now. The U.S. is starting to see more "gimmicky" cars show up on its roads. The Japanese predicted that the next auto hype would be rear-wheel drive, high-performance compact sedans. Well, the Toyota Altezza made it here as the highly popular IS300, and Nissan's XVL concept is on the final stages of being put to use as the foundation for several Nissan model changes like the Altima, and some new models as well. Other "interesting cars" include the upcoming rally cars, as well as Mazda's RX-08, with its unorthodox suicide doors. As for the Skyline, many are saying that the next model will find its way to the U.S. but will it be a REAL Skyline, with ATTESSA, HICAS, & ~300hp? If not, I say stick with the Z -- the only real Nissan sports car that North America knows... ;)

Chris
06-06-2001, 09:54 AM
You are right on all counts, and I few I things I wasnt sure opf, like the mirror engine, you have cleared up.
And I hope powerful rear-drives get more and more popular. Nissan has the best new stuff, but the WRX is the best! Hopeful it will keep on coming. Hey, some deja vu, kinda like the early 90's.

Ohhhhh, I want a skyline.

super 96 accord
06-06-2001, 01:13 PM
It's also been discussed that the reason the Z has been in the states and not the skyline is because the skyline was not originally a Nissan model. The nissan people would rather have their own model strive and not give the Prince Motors car all the extra love and attention it needs outside of Japan. Which might be why they're putting all this money into a new Z rather than trying to bring the skyline which they should obviously know by now that we all want REALLY bad.

Just my .02 worth.

Chris
06-06-2001, 02:46 PM
Are you sure the skyline wasn't always Nissan? I'm pretty sure it was.

super 96 accord
06-06-2001, 03:27 PM
I'm pretty darn sure. Anyone else wanna back me up on this one?

SkylineUSA
06-06-2001, 04:23 PM
Ford had a Skyline back in the 50's, maybe thats why. It's the one with the hydraulic hardtop that retracted into the trunk.

super 96 accord
06-06-2001, 04:44 PM
To those of you who doubted me, :flipa:
To those of you who were w/me, :)

http://homepages.tig.com.au/~robs/kevspage4.htm

HAHAHHA I win!

R35
06-06-2001, 07:18 PM
Accord is right even with the wrong car:) Just kidding (I drive an Accord and Odyssey now). The Prince Skyline was from Prince Motors in Japan. For those saying "Well the 240 Z was originally built by Datsun not Nissan". True, to some extent. Datsun was the name that Nissan used for the US market back in the 60's and early 70's to test out the market. Once they saw that they could make it in the land of the BIG muscle car they came in full as Nissan and absorbed all the Datsun line and Mr. K the creator of the Z was made the first President of Nissan of America.

Now on to some of the theories (that's all they are) as to why the Skyline has not made it to the US. I agree with Morph on most parts.
1) Agree
2) Not really, remember the NSX? All new no real solid history. At least the Skyline is known by everyone on this forum and many others that truelly love cars. So I think it will out sell many others. Expect a long line at the dealers when they get here, I'll be the one in front of you.:alien2:
3) Nissan in the past came on strong with the new 300 ZX in 90', a redesigned Maxima, Sentra and introduced a luxury line called Infinity. Then it was like someone cut their balls off?!:confused: and they just stopped. Everything went down hill from there. I hope this isn't the case now, where they seem to be making some good agressive moves.
4) Did I tell you guys about the Jackass that use's an RV for a daily commuter?! WTF?!:flipa: :flipa: :flipa: :flipa:

Another thing I agree on with Accord, I also heard that there was an inside argument going on between the Z family and the Skyline family about which car should get top billing. There is a huge split in Nissan when it comes to these two cars. To be honest I think both cars can co-exist in the US if not the world. The Z at under $30K and the Skyline at $50K ($50K is the actual price of a Skyline GT-R V spec II using current exchange rate from Yen to US $) so stop saying the Skyline cost $90K. That's only if you try to buy a new one from MotoRex.:smoka:

FUKNCRUZN
06-25-2001, 12:02 PM
The problem about ppl in the states is that they don't know about all these japanese imports......... and another problem with gettn them in the states is that teh skyline violates an immisions regulation or sumtin like that...the car gives off to much exhauste or some pinner thing like that but i've e-mailed a bunch of import dealers here in can and i think we can get them imported here but not %100 sure yet....... but hell as soon as i got the cash a nice r-34 will be mine.

Adam
06-25-2001, 04:24 PM
but it will be sold... in 2003

06-25-2001, 05:51 PM
FUKNCRUZN, you can get the skyline shipped here, but then you gotta pay for customs bullshit, and have nessecary safty thingies put in, and it has to pass emmissions, i think actually two different tests. you can get them through motorex (motorip-off). the car is about $50k, then shipping i think is like $10k. safety stuff really isnt much, so motorex makes about lets say $25k. you also have to wait a few months while the governtment holds the car to make sure its "good."

igor@af
06-25-2001, 06:00 PM
Skyline used to be Prince and then Nissan bought Prince so it became Nissan.

R35
06-25-2001, 06:26 PM
Also MotoRex did crash test 2 of each car to have them ok'ed in the states. They need to recoup their initial investment, so the price is not a major thing. It does suck that they are "used" cars and that they have to be "lightly" modeified to qualify. Although I do hate to pay double the price for a used car I have to say "Thank you" to the gents at MotoRex, unlike Nissan they at least see the market for Skyline lovers.

Now maybe after kissing up they'll give me a discount.:D

Morpheus XIII
06-25-2001, 08:29 PM
4) Did I tell you guys about the Jackass that use's an RV for a daily commuter?! WTF?!

--R35

HAHA! Now there's an extremist. How horrendous.

This must be my first post in what feels like ages; anyone else been getting 403s and 404s? Heh, my posts/day rate is going down...

OK, so Nissan has a new Skyline. So it gets back to the Skyline's original ideals (almost original Prince-like) with some new refinements. So the changes seem to allow the new model to fit into some sort of niche in the North American market. The question is: will we like it? As is, not for most of us.

I like it, AS A SPORTS SEDAN, which is what Nissan seems to be pushing it as. But I hate it, when compared to the R34, which although was available as a sedan, was much more well-known for its coupe form. Of course, companies tend to keep their future plans on the quiet side, but I have yet to hear even rumors about an upcoming coupe body, let alone a GT-R trim line. However, it does seem possible since the new Skyline is built on the versatile XVL chassis.

The next Skyline has even abandoned it's "R" chassis designation (as in R34) and is now "V35". Anyone care to explain why? I suppose Nissan really wants the public to think of "The Premium Sports Sedan" as absolutely different as possible. Being powered by various VQs (VQ25DD, VQ30DD...) instead of RBs is also very disturbing. The Yanks have been waiting for this car for eons and we don't even get a taste of that wonderful straight-6.

Well, this is just for now, and there will most likely be more to come. I just hope the future doesn't disappoint us.

R35
06-25-2001, 09:17 PM
Yup "will we like it" seems to be the million $ question. We have months to go till they reveal "IF" the coupe version will exist (my guess is yes), but still will we like it? There are millions of rumors, but no confirmations from Nissan.

So far we have the "Skyline" sedan based on the XVL platform. It looks 100% the same as the concept.
I like it as a sporty sedan and it would fit the Infinity line as a V35, whatever. Without the round tail-lights, is it still a Skyline?!

A world dominating sports car with AWD, AWS, all toys from the R34 and then some in a car with a "SEDAN" platform?!:mad: Didn't Nissan say that the Z concept would be based on a all new platform that would not be confused with a sedan or 2+2?! That the Z would be a true sports car?! If that's true (GOD I hope it is) then there is no way in HOT :devil: Hell they should use the XVL platform for the GT-R.

Then again the way the "Yanks" like it maybe Nissan will make a S"UV"kyline:crying:

Chris
07-29-2001, 05:22 PM
I just had a horrible thought: What if the skyline became based on the new Z, kinda like the Corvette/Evoq??
I hope not.
They should stick to the original formula, and try and sell it here. If they fail, then oh well (they wont). If people spend $50 000 on Civics, they will pay for a skyline.

R35
07-30-2001, 11:45 AM
Sorry to be the fly in your soup Chris, but it looks like that's what Nissan is going to do. As STUPID, STUPID, STUPID, as that idea is it's cheaper for them to do and as far as they see it the US has never seen a Skyline and therefore it doesn't matter what they bring over. It's a high end sports car to compete against the Acura NSX.

As far as "Ricer's" go spending $50,000 on a Civic is a good thing even if the car will get it's ass kicked by a mini van some people think it's cool:rolleyes: :confused: Think about it, for $50K you could buy a used Viper or Vette and beat the crap out of all the other "rice boys", but instead they buy the lowest model Civic and put a Type R sticker on it and think they can beat the world?! Even the Sklyine won't help those kinds of iditots:finger:

On a side note: For those of you that own GT3: A-spec check out the scrolling details on the cars at the dealership, and read the one's about the Skyline? Could Polyphony have some insider scoop on what will happen to the Skyline?!:eek:

For those who don't own Gran Tourismo 3: A-spec for PS2. When you select a car from the dealership a little history/info on that particular vehicle scrolls by underneath ( a bit too fast if you ask me). Well for the Skyline V-spec (not V-spec II) it mention's how this will is the 10th generation of the Skyline (R34) and that it will be the last one to use the RB engine.:(

Morpheus XIII
07-30-2001, 05:48 PM
Heh, once again, Gran Turismo proves it's extracurricular usefulness.

As for the ricers, I think they do what they do because they can't afford a $50,000 car all at once. Seems kind of moronic because they end up spending loads of money anyway; they could just finance a Viper. I used to like Honda. They make great engines. The rice effect has forever tainted their image. Too bad.

spyder1
08-01-2001, 07:18 AM
Me owning a Honda Accord, don't think of me as a ricer. I know I wasn't being singled out, but I did want to say that IF (and I hear that it's true) the Mitsu Lancer Evo VII comes out and it's sporting 270 hp as is rumored for the North America release, well let me just say I'll be one of the first in line sporting a new car :) Even if it's detuned to 230 hp for the emissions standards, I'll still be 95% sure that I'm getting a new car.

I wish that the Skyline was in North America. It is one of my favorite cars of all time. That the Evo series, the STi series, any of those are kick ass cars, and I only wish they were here.

Trust me, if I could afford 50k for a Skyline, I'd buy one in a heartbeat. Hell, I'd even get the older R32 or R33!!

To think... this is my first post on this forum :)

R35
08-01-2001, 10:58 AM
Welcome to AF Rice I mean Spyder1:D I used to own a 93 Accord coupe (till I gave it to my damn sister) bad idea:( Driving a Honda don't make you a "ricer", if that were true I'd have to hang myself for loving my 2K Honda Odyssey:sun:

Well if you save your pennies it sounds like the GT-R will be in the states come 2003, but of course even if it does..............so far at least rumor has it that it won't be the same car that we all love:(

It would be fun to see a couple Evo's smoking Mustangs and Vette's tho:smoker2:

VQuick
08-01-2001, 01:33 PM
Motorex has R32s in the low to mid-$30k range. Is that better for you?

spyder1
08-01-2001, 05:50 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome guys... I think... ;)

I saw the Motorex R32s and R33s for about 35k or so. One of my problems is that whatever I buy will be a daily driver for a while until I can buy something else to putz around in. The second problem is that I live in a townhouse, and have no garage to store the car (I know I can get a car cover, but the garage is much better). It just wouldn't do the Skyline justice, if you get my drift.

I'll wait until 2003 to see if the Evo VII comes to the US. Nissan has released the 2002 Maxima with a 6-spd tranny and 260 hp, so that isn't too bad either. It's too bad I'm not rich :)

I was reading about the R35 (or is it V35) Skyline coming to the US. It doesn't sound anything like the Skyline GT-R that we all crave over.

Maybe I can get a job in the IT industry over in Japan ;)

R35
08-01-2001, 06:18 PM
No what you mean about "doing it justice". Something Nissan needs to learn before they build the next GT-R:finger:

The Evo and even the Maxima isn't a bad choice, at least you know what car you would get if you had to pick only one. The SKYLINE!!!! as long as that's what you say, you can be my friend:frog:

Morpheus XIII
08-01-2001, 08:39 PM
Seriously, owning a Honda doesn't automatically make you 'powered by rice', but those who love doing that sort of thing has definately made it difficult for genuine enthusiasts to be taken seriously. It probably has also contributed to the joking attitude of all the competing racing divisions towards import race cars in general, particularly drag racing here in the U.S.

It's a shame that nearly ALL of the best J-spec Hondas (which if you ask me, don't really dazzle my fancy) are already here in the States, while so many others from Nissan, Mitsubishi, etc. are not. R35, imagine how different life would be if Nissan had every one of their worthy sports cars of the past and present here instead of all the poseurmobiles...

R35
08-01-2001, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by morpheusxiii
R35, imagine how different life would be if Nissan had every one of their worthy sports cars of the past and present here instead of all the poseurmobiles...

Huh?! Whut?! Sorry, I was just drooling over that thought:lol2:
I'm dreaming of a Nissan SKYLINE GT-R V SPEC II in my garage:sleep: Man, if Nissan get's it right and does bring the Skyline to the states as is I'd have to wear depends everytime I drove (plus one for the passengers):finger: Woo Hoo!!!!:ylsuper

spyder1
08-02-2001, 08:21 AM
I'm dreaming of a white... Skyline GT-R. Like the ones I use to see (in pictures)...

Sorry, it just had a catchy tune there.

Yes, if I could pick one, it would be the Skyline GT-R, no doubt. I have no problems with my Honda. I don't like the type-"R" Hondas (and I mean type-"Rice", not the actual type-Rs), but hell, Honda has the 3.2 V6 in the NSX, and I know the potiential is there for my power in my car. The problem is the tranny, something that Honda will fix in 2003.

It still would be nothing to the Skyline though, so can I be your friend now R35 :D

VQuick
08-02-2001, 09:58 AM
It might be worth your while to look into the 2002 Maxima. The 260hp version of the VQ engine is different on the inside, because of stroking it to 3.5 liters and adding shorter connecting rods. The exterior dimensions shouldn't be much different at all from the current 3L version. It'll be a rocket, for sure. The 2002 Altima with a 240hp version of the 3.5L engine was tested by MT, running a 14.72 1/4 mile. It ran a 6.2 sec 0-60mph as well, with a 5sp.
Stillen has their supercharger kit that offers about an 80hp gain for the VQ30DE. The supercarger should fit the VQ35DE okay, so you're looking at potentially having a 320hp Maxima. There's also smaller pulley ratios available as well, for even more power.
With the LSD available, it should help get more of the power to the ground than the earlier S/C'd Maximas. They were plagued with heavy wheelspin off the line, due to excessive torque. The 6sp tranny with closer ratios than the Altima's 5sp, should help too, provided it can handle that extra power.

I really hope that the LanEvo VII makes it here, but if the worst happens, the Maxima might look like a good backup.:)

R35
08-02-2001, 11:59 AM
Yup yup the Max does look to be a killer. Honda is also going to redo the Accord V6 (this time with a 6spd):frog: . Throw Toyota into the mix with their line up and (we all hope) Mitsu with the Lancer line-up, Subi with the STi and we can all go out and play:D

"Mommy can I go out and play with all my friends at AF":dogpile:

When we race in all the wonderful new cars we hope they bring out, Win, Lose, or Draw (using an old quote from Nissan) Enjoy the Ride:devil:

spyder1
08-02-2001, 01:01 PM
I hear that... I'm waiting for 2003 to see what's available, then I'm going from there. There should be a lot of cars out with some good power and 6-spd tranny's, so I'm already drooling ready to get one.

Otherwise, I'm saving my pennies and will be satisfied with the Accord... It's nice to dream though... real nice to dream...

Does anyone have any confirmation of the new Skyline GT-R coming to the US or not? I've heard that it will be an Infinity (yuk) and that it will be totally different from the R32 to R34 series... I hope I'm not up for a disappointment here...

Confirmed pics (or places where the pics are at) would be nice also.

R35
08-02-2001, 03:43 PM
There are a few threads here at AF regarding the "new" (so-called) GT-R. (not even sure about the name).

Check out http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/t3224.html

So far (just a guess) it appears that the next GT-R will be a V-8, sold at Infinity under the name GT-R (not Skyline). The V35 (will continue to be called a Skyline in Japan) will come to the states as a possible Infinity "?V35?", but if you look at it and the new Altima. THEY ARE THE SAME FRICKEN CAR!! Since when did Nissan think it was ok to lower the Skyline to the level of an Altima!? (ya ya they are both based on the XVL concpet so they look alike) My arse, THEY ARE THE SAME!?!?!:mad:

So don't expect much out of the first GT-R to come to the states, but pray that Nissan gets it right.

I don't care if they sell it at a Hyundai dealer! If I could buy a R34 GT-R V spec II I'll just take the damn badges off:finger:

gang$tarr
08-02-2001, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by BBD
first of all I would like to thank you all for loving this car old new future whatever :D

people might ask why its not sold in the US. 1st Americans are Ignorant people, they banned Skylines the REAL WRX Mitsubishi Evo's the good cars yes, WHY you might ask well here is the theory I like to go by.

I would also like add the Skyline GTR 32, 33 and 34 are sold ONLY in California by a private dealer how on earth he got them here I have no idea they are still right hand drive. I heard some rumors that the Skyline GTR 33 can be converted to left hand drive by using the Nissan Blue Bird Dash board. the GTR34 well I hope I would be going back to Arabia soon and have the money to buy a new one and think about how the hell to convert it to left hand drive. it is gona be very tricky because I hear the turbos are located at the left hand side of the car and their is not much space to work with.

that was one of the dumbest things i ever read in my life
it's all emission regulations

R35
08-02-2001, 07:32 PM
Really?!:huh:

I was too busy trying to figure out what he was trying to say to notice:finger:

Morpheus XIII
08-03-2001, 08:19 PM
Many have said that the cause for limiting specific cars from being sold in the U.S. revolves around the sole restrictive emissions factor. Perhaps that is what automakers would like you to believe, but I am becoming more and more unconvinced.

Most of the huge foreign companies have the technology to carefully orchestrate the task of building cleaner burning vehicles at the cost of sacrificing little performance. As you know, these otherworldly machines already produce heavy-duty power AND utilize various ways of ensuring that a high percentage of the energy is retained all the way to the ground. Therefore, even a fair decrease in engine power would still allow such cars like the Skyline GT-R to be ranked among high performance vehicles. "Emissions" is DOable, but it's EXPENSIVE. They can, but should they?

You and I say 'yes'. But automakers have to make careful decisions, upon which they must take even more careful planning. They don't want to lose money. One would think that a U.S. Skyline would sell like hotcakes, but that's a passion left only to sports car enthusiasts. Did the later model Supras supply huge financial gains to Toyota in the U.S? We all remember how the story went: limited production, zero advertisement, trimline cuts, eventual model drop... and how many do you see on the road today? The Supra is quite possibly the Skyline's greatest GT adversary in Japan. If the genuine Skyline made it here, wouldn't history repeat itself?

Fixing emissions is COSTLY, and to make it worse, it's not the only problem. There is also the entire deal about the RB26DETT's limited engine bay space. The requirement of a left-hand steering column would require the entire mill to be reconstructed in 'mirror' form, which is also COSTLY. Perhaps this is why such heavy development is going into the already smog certified, already potent VQ motor. It's no RB, but its the least expensive, most effective way to recreate the heart of the next generation Nissan sports car.

To expand on this ideal, let us look at Subaru: Rally racing has never been popular in the U.S.--until just recently. With growing popularity in the SCCA and better cable television coverage, the consumers are gaining a much more colorful picture of what the rest of the world knows and we don't. Then suddenly Subaru leaks out a production Impreza WRX into our market. Up until now, Subarus have been considered as practical and useful cars for those living near shoddy terrain. Check out Colorado; there are fleets of them. Traditional Subaru owners would probably have NEVER even considered flying through narrow winding icy mountain paths with the aid of 200+hp. If the WRX had been introduced years ago, wouldn't average people just look at it funny and be confused? It doesn't look like a traditional sports car. It doesn't even look like a traditional sports sedan. Rally? What's that?

Now they know. Now Subaru is reassured and can market the WRX safely in the U.S. It was still a gamble, but an educated one. It worked and they ARE selling.

Basically, I feel that it is primarily MONEY which dictates which cars should be sent where. But in the end we, the consumers, win. They make cars depending on what's cheapest, and then in turn, we get cheaper cars. A brand new U.S. legal Motorex R34 Skyline GT-R costs $90,000. Motorex did what it took to bring a GT-R here. Why would it be any different for Nissan? Would you really like it if Nissan decided to bring over their R34 Skyline GT-R valued at around $50,000 and charge us $90,000 apiece?

Jay!
08-04-2001, 12:52 AM
Originally posted by morpheusxiii
To expand on this ideal, let us look at Subaru: Rally racing has never been popular in the U.S.--until just recently. With growing popularity in the SCCA and better cable television coverage, the consumers are gaining a much more colorful picture of what the rest of the world knows and we don't.
...And PlayStation/Computer games. :D I wouldn't care less unless I had been hooked on Gran Turismo 2. Now I watch all the rally recaps on Speedvision.

meggala
08-04-2001, 08:16 AM
One of the other reasons the skyline doesn't come to the US is the quality of fuel commonly available I believe you can only get 93 octane over there at least here in oz we can get 98 and in japan they have 105. nissan don't like to risk the reputation of the skyline as well the car is worshipped in japan like a god they have a whole huge museum full of every model made and any model that acheived anything. they don't want the embarassment of it possibly flopping in the US especially with nissans fragile finace situation.

I drive an r32 gts and it wont take anything less than 95 octane
the quality of the car is wonderful and I don't reget buying it comming from fords. The handeling in nimble and precise and I've seen 210kph (130 mph). I ve looked inside all the gtrs and they are great dream cars for some of us. I wont own one unless I win the lottery.Cause I couldn't justify the cost.

Anyway a nice forum I'm always happy to speak about skylines
and to think for the 10 yrs b4 I got my skyline I quit the car habit.
cheers
meggala

have a look at my site

http://www.meggala.com

skyline info and drifting stuff

Morpheus XIII
08-04-2001, 06:11 PM
Seriously, the games have done a lot for the U.S.

I keep hearing that the first SEGA Rally Championship was the first rally arcade game in the U.S. and that is how many of them were introduced to rally racing.

But have any of you ever heard of the old '93 (I think) arcade game called World Rally by Atari? Now, THAT game was fun. It put you in charge of a Celica All-trac/GT4 to run in various sessions differing by day, night, gravel, snow, ice, dirt, and tarmac. Your navigator was merely an on-screen, heads-up display style road indicator, and you had but two speeds and one pedal. Instead of the traditional in-car view, the screen presented a side angled bird's-eye view that changed depending on the direction of travel. The physics were terrible, but to me the game was really addictive most likely because of the fun when it came to drifting. Instead of braking, steering, countersteering, and accelerating, you just yanked and twirled the free spinning steering wheel into one or the other direction.

I was so amused to play a game that was so different from all the other stuff that was out there (especially not knowing what rally racing was), and now I am happy to know that the popularity is spreading home.

Morpheus XIII
08-04-2001, 06:14 PM
A screen-shot:

R35
08-04-2001, 09:29 PM
Buwahahahaha

Games that teach!!!

And all we hear is how bad games are. I also heard that a local Exotic car dealership is using GT3 to demo cars to people that come into buy. I have to admit the game is really good and realistically even tho I have had the chance to drive many US legal exotic cars and the Sklyine's and Evo's when I was in Japan I have never had a chance to really open up those cars on a track before so playing GT3 is a good way to "see" what a car can really do.

My friend has come over to play the game to see how adding a super charger would change his NSX. He already has about 308hp at the wheels, but most people don't think about how adding more hp to a car can also change the way it handles. GT3 gives us at least an idea of what will have to be done to accomadate that added hp.

Gotta love it:D

gang$tarr
08-05-2001, 12:37 AM
i love the free spinning wheel just like on off-road :D

Morpheus XIII
08-05-2001, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by R35
I also heard that a local Exotic car dealership is using GT3 to demo cars to people that come into buy.

Now THAT'S awesome. I once read in a gamer's rag that SCEI first needed to approach the automakers featured in their Gran Turismo games, and instead of being looked upon with skepticism, the companies willfully wanted their machines on that source of medium, so that it would increase publicity. Of course, there are still automakers who don't want their cars put into games that allow them to become competetive with other cars of the world... Ha ha ha, what are they afraid of?

Doughnutdemon
11-11-2001, 06:20 PM
Hello all, first post on AF, but have been around on SDU (as Carlito). I have a Skyline R32 GTS-t.

I don't necessarily agree that nobody in the US knows about Skylines - lots of people play GT/GT2/GT3 and know of them. Problem is 1) most probably think it's a mythical beast 2) most probably don't make enough to buy one!

But I hope you get your wish and Nissan brings in the GTR and the new Skyline. Even the non-GTR Skyline models rock- my 2 litre turbocharged 4-door will blow the doors off most cars, handles like a go-kart and gets lots of appreciative looks at the gas station (where I spend lots of time as it also has a drinking problem :rolleyes: 220 turbocharged horses need to drink!)

Chris
11-11-2001, 07:55 PM
Welcome to AF! Good to have anothe Skyline owner!

Morpheus XIII
11-13-2001, 07:20 AM
Welcome to the forum.

Before Gran Turismo came out, only a handful of the people I knew, really knew what a Skyline was. We were all of the same drastic image: geeky looking guys banded together searching for more of their kind, who owned stacks of $9 a piece Options magazines and alike (which we couldn't read), hunting down the specialty imports like WRX RA STis and 400Rs at the car shows, virtually speaking in a language quite foreign to most gearheads--all for the support of what we can't have.....Things sure have come a long way, and I feel something like a breath of fresh air, as I can talk to just about anyone on the road now about Skylines now, and hold up a decent conversation. Well it's only getting better. I guess we owe Polyphony Digital and SCEI something, hmm?

Add your comment to this topic!