Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

clicking noise when turning steering wheel

Pubhi
02-17-2004, 01:12 PM
I have 245/45/17 size tires on my car and i've had them on for a while now. For about a month or so, i've notices that when i turn the steering wheel, i hear a clicking noise from the front end. Do i need to lubricate something to eliminate this noise? If so, can someone tell me what I need to lubricate? Thanks.

mechy1barry
02-17-2004, 01:32 PM
possibly a c/v joint dry/or worn,have you checked the gaitors to see if they are split?

Hondaman56
02-17-2004, 06:35 PM
If your driving the car and this happens, your CV joints are shot. Replace both sides at the same time. Its not cheap. If your standing still it could be several things from damper spring saddles to dry ball joints. None are cheap to fix. Steering components on Hondas are sealed and many are not able to be lubricated.

ProMan
02-17-2004, 10:15 PM
If it's a regular clunk noise, then it's the CV joint. Too bad because if you heard the noise, that means the CVJ is worn already.

You can get a reman one from local auto parts store for around $60, NAPA's is $100 and comes with lifetime warranty. If you know how to replace by yourself, this is a good deal. It's not a simple job. A new one from dealer could cost $300. You can ask for reman from dealer also, and cost less.

Pubhi
02-17-2004, 10:29 PM
What do you mean by a regular clucnk noise? It happens badly when the car isn't moving but it also happens when the car is moving but not nearly as bad. How could the CV joints have gone bad so soon? Its only got 70K miles on it.

Gold'n
02-18-2004, 12:15 AM
Too bad your not in the Seattle area. My shop replaces CV's for 160 bones.

Gold'n
02-18-2004, 12:17 AM
BTW, if it sounds like a giant pen clicking the ball in and out, its deffinatly your CV and its really fucked. Take care of it before it decides to shatter and rip up a shitload of body, brake lines, electrical wires and god knows what else.

Hondaman56
02-18-2004, 06:59 AM
Well, if it happens while the car is sitting still, your CV joints are probably less likely to be the problem. The CV joints can go bad a lot earlier than 70/K miles if the boots are torn and the lubricant allowed to spill out and dry out. I'd look into the damper spring saddles and other suspension joints, sounds like something is dry that once got water and has developed a nice rusty metal rub. Put the car up on a jack stand, removing the tire one side where the noise is coming from. Have a helper turn your steering wheel while you observe and listen. You should be able to pinpoint the source of the noise. While your there check your CV boots for splits and rot, it they are, have them replaced asap.

Pubhi
02-18-2004, 04:37 PM
Col...I took it to the shop today and the guy said it is the strut. I've never worked on this car myself but i'm pretty good with tools and all so can someone tell me what it would take to replace a strut or the spring saddles? Thanks for all the help.

ProMan
02-18-2004, 09:49 PM
A repair manual, coil spring compressor, and brutal force.

Gold'n
02-19-2004, 01:48 AM
What ever you do, do not remove the center bolt on the top of the strut without using a strut spring compesser. That nut will fly off so fast that it can actually penetrate your head.

Get a book for your car. A dealer repair manual is allways preffered but very expensive.

Hondaman56
02-19-2004, 06:42 AM
You will need to take the old and new struts to a shop with a press to get the springs swapped out safely. While your doing the job, be sure to replace the spring saddles or your squeek will be back all too soon.

Pubhi
02-20-2004, 07:42 PM
OK...got some bad? news. I checked underneath the car myself and the problem isn't the CV-joins or the struts. It sounds as if the problem is some place near the rack and pinion. Anyone have any ideas?

Add your comment to this topic!