Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

ls6 MAFT?

Igovert500
02-17-2004, 12:36 PM
Ok, a few months ago I was skimming through the old posts on 3si, and I read a few posts about the ls6 MAFT conversion. I have a very vague notion of what this entails. I believe a few members on 3si use it instead of the 83 or 88mm MAS. Does anyone have any info on it, or know a website where I can at least check out the parts. Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't this not originally intended for use on our cars? Any info would greatly be appreciated. Thanks, Geoff

talskinyguy
02-17-2004, 05:14 PM
A few memers is a little inacurate. There are tons. You will need a MAF-T ,an ls1 or ls6 MAF, and a filter. Very cheep compaired to the ford equivilant.

Igovert500
02-17-2004, 05:21 PM
I was reading something to the effect that it requires some hotwiring or something. Is it a drop in replacement(w/ the proper adapter) or does it require some fiddling around. Also, I assume (due to the popularity) that it is an improvement over the 83mm MAS w/ K&N FIPK, but how much are we talking here? I am just trying to gather as much info as possible. Thanks

Igovert500
02-17-2004, 06:29 PM
OK, so I did some research, correct me if any of this is wrong. The LS6 MAF is 3.75 inches, so in the low 90mms, the translator allows to tune for various things(including larger injectors). The translator is $200 new and the LS6 MAF is about $130. I guess my only 3 questions that remain are:
1. How does the new MAF fit into the old MAS's place, does it need an adapter
2. What size filter is needed for this
3. Has anybody dyno'd this or have any experience trying it out here?

I'm debating adding it to my mods wishlist, Thanks again ~ Geoff

talskinyguy
02-17-2004, 07:21 PM
THe ls6 MAF fits in the place of the stock MAS and requires no cutting, just a little force. The MAFT is a dirrect plug in and requires no wiring.

As far as results, on a compleatly stock car there was a .5 second drop in 1/4 mile time after putting in a MAFT and LS6 MAF. Was running very low 13's after the swap.

Igovert500
02-18-2004, 12:25 PM
Really, that sounds worth it. I've heard the MAFTs can be a bitch to program, but I also saw multiple posts on 3si.org that should help. One last question, what is different about the size, I always assumed it meant a wider MAS or MAF, does it mean longer? A guess a few mm's wider wouldn't be that hard to squeeze in to the stock MAS's spot. Sorry for the continuous questions.

talskinyguy
02-19-2004, 04:57 PM
the different side is the diameter of the MAF, not the lenght. The bigger the diameter the less restriction on the air flow of the engine. Your turbos will spool sooner, and be more free flowing.

Igovert500
02-24-2004, 12:56 PM
If anyone is interested, I found the whole kit on ikonone's sponsor's website
http://www.driven-performance.com/display/206
the ls6 MAF, MAFT, and 9inch K&N filter for $380.

Add your comment to this topic!