Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Check engine light 2001 jimmy

odb93
02-17-2004, 07:56 AM
I have a 2001 gmc jimmy diamond edition 4x4 4-door auto
4.3 liter

The check engine light is on. Autozone said the problem was with a secondary air injector.

Can anyone shed any light on this???

Has anyone else had this issue???

pcv
02-17-2004, 12:03 PM
What code did you get out of the vehicle?

odb93
02-17-2004, 01:18 PM
It was p0410(secondary air injection system malfunction)

Babs007
04-03-2004, 09:22 AM
I recently had the same problem with my Jimmy, the code was P0410, Secondary Air Injection System,(air pump failure). They said I could leave it, no harm would be done, but the light will still be on and you will not know of other problems. It cost me $385 Cdn (labour included) to replace air pump, fuse kit and solenoid. Works fine now.

Randy1279
04-14-2004, 09:05 PM
I have the same code of P0410, i keep blowing a fuse, but can not find the fuse, its a 30 amp maxi fuse or at least thats what i keep getting charged for, its not in my fuse block in the drivers compartment or the fuse block in the engine compartment, so does anyone know were this fuse is, it started blowing after i put on my trailer lights so i have since rewired them and i just can not find the fuse to fix, any help please email me at Randy1279@aol.com
thank you so much for any help you can give
Randy

Babs007
04-18-2004, 09:34 AM
They told me that the fuse will keep blowing because the air pump is malfunctioning.

GMCTech
04-18-2004, 02:12 PM
Here's the story on the P0410:

The AIR pump adds air to the exhaust stream to lower emissions. It does this by taking in outside air and pumping it through two one-way check valves into each bank of the exhaust.

About 90% of the time that this code is set, the one-way check valves have worn out or failed and allow water (which occurs naturally in the exhaust) back into the pump. In any cold climate, especially in the northeast with higher humidity, this water may be more excessive. The water partially fills the AIR pump, it can then freeze. When the PCM commands the pump on, if the pump is frozen it cannot turn, thus overloading the circuit and "popping" the fuse.

As far as the location of the fuse, it is in the right front fender well beside the battery, and in front of the horn there.

Sometimes replacing the fuse will fix all your problems and you are all set until next winter when it all happens again.

Also, sometimes water is allowed to enter the pump through the intake side of the system (just a 5/8" hose behind the fan shroud) and ruins the system that way. -I'll talk about that in a moment.

GM says that when this system failure occurs due to water intrusion, the pump MUST be replaced. I have had decent luck just blowing the pump out with direct power provided by a test bettery out of the vehicle, and saving the customer some $$$ :thumbsup:

GM has also released a remote air intake kit that includes a longer 5/8" hose, a control solenoid, and a one-way check valve to eliminate most possibility of water intrusion.

Like I said before, sometimes just blowing out the motor and replacing the fuse will solve your problem. BUT, to truly repair the problem correctly the AIR pump, the fuse, and the exhaust check valves must be replaced, and the remote air intake kit must be installed. :banghead: $$$

I have much experience with this AIR system. Here in the northeast it is a BIG problem, and we have replaced at least 100 AIR pumps in the last 2 years or so.

If your vehicle is still under warranty, then you are lucky. --> The exhaust check valves usually wear out after 3-4 years thus, putting most vehicles out of warranty coverage. :sly:

Hope this explains the infamous (at least here in the northeast) P0410.

philtn
12-31-2005, 01:24 PM
have a small problem with the secondary injection. bought the part, amongst many other things, and now cant find the part to replace it. and noone can help me with it? all i need to do is locate the part and the dealership is only mildly unhelpful.

Add your comment to this topic!