Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

04 GTO Love it or Hate it?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

RogueSnake
02-16-2004, 02:43 AM
Like many when I heard their would be a new GTO I was excited. But after seeing pictures of it and learn'n more about it I could'nt have been more disapointed. It's not that I think its a ugly car, it's just......plain. I mean take off the GTO and what do you have. A V-8 powered Grand Prix. The fact that its a auzzie car dosen't help. What happened to the GTO concept of a few years ago? I guess after the aftermarket gear's up and makes all kinds of cool GTO parts it will look mean. If I had one I'd jerk out the LS-1 drive train and sell the body. They discontinued the Firebird for this? This is only my opinion, I'm shure the'll be plenty of ppl that will buy it, and love it. What do you guys think?

daveshapellSVT
02-16-2004, 08:17 PM
I also feel it looks plain and lacks character... I'm glade that GM is coming out with something fast though.. All they really have is the GTO, and vett.. When i first heard news that there was a GTO at a near by dealership i went and took a look... It's too long and heavy.. I honestly wouldn't buy one.. Its cool that chevy has a fast car, but when are they gonna step up on the technology? The freakin redline on the ls1 is like 5,600.. i really enjoy the fact that my Cobra redlines at 6,900rpm.. The DOHC 4.6 has been out for about as long as the 50 yr old pushrod ls1... Plus, even though i hate the styling of the new Mustang GT (05), it still sports modern technology with a 300HP variable cam timing over head cam engine... Fords catching on, why isn't GM... Not to mention, they lack well built reliable sport compacts.. Sure they are coming out with the redline, and cobalt SS, but they still aren't even close to where they should be.. they lack and independent rear suspention, decent brakes, proper handling equipment, and balls.. Dodge hit big with the SRT4... The redline and cobalt suck, but its at least good to see GM is attemting to wake up.. sorry for ranting on, but my scars are deep lol

Jehu
02-25-2004, 01:12 AM
I was sad when I read up on the new GTO. After comming home from Australia I heard about the new release, but it's not much different than the cars they have down under. It's a big letdown for a big name.

RedLightning
04-12-2004, 11:46 AM
i just think that gm does not want any in house competition for the Corvette, idiots that run gm, I say that they should give each division acess to parts and money and let them go wild, becouse of the idiots at gm hq we almost did not get the original gto, its like they hate performance cars with big v8's cept the vette!!! :disappoin :chair:

daveshapellSVT
04-13-2004, 07:25 PM
they need a better variaty of fast cars.. all they have is the Vette and GTO.. both too expensive... pretty much only doctors and lawyers get these cars.. whats out there for the hard working man yo! lol i picked up my stang for 15k.. and it will blow the Goat hair off the GTO.. plus the GTO kinda blows.. i sat in it and was playing around.. the gear box is sloppy and it has long throws and the interior just isn't welcoming.. you know what i was thinking about and i think its a great idea.. remember the 96 impala SS.. they should had built the GTO on that plateform and just make alterations to the cars styling.. updating the looks but not comprimizing the car itself.. Sure it would had costed a little more to change the plateform opposed to just using Holdens, but who cares at least they would be pleasing there customers and making more sales..

daveshapellSVT
04-13-2004, 07:28 PM
i feel the new GTO is like going to mcdanalds for there classic big mac and getting served a JR.whopper!

Ls1-Killa
04-21-2004, 02:11 AM
HATE IT!

I was looking foward to a more aggresive, higher tech LS1, but then they come out with this?
Its so non-agressive appealing
Wheres all the flywheel horsepower going??
350 Ci / 350 HP.. and only 14 Flats??
I have a stock 02' mustang GT that
runs 13.63 / 103 MPH
How about that LS1 Power now? eh?

daveshapellSVT
04-21-2004, 10:11 PM
i like the video that the GTO is in.. http://www.micro-op.com.au/execls1/gtoscene.wmv

daveshapellSVT
04-21-2004, 10:11 PM
go here and save it..http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=93593

nikivee
04-22-2004, 10:01 AM
that thread on SVT is ghay! You guys have no clue about the car. Please! One of your members said every magazine did not like it? Really? which ones? I know of only one.

As one who is an owner, and having tested several other high ends cars, including the 2004 MACH I. The new GTO beat them hands down in.

1. Quality of fit and finish.
2. Quality of interior. Probably the best interior to come out of GM in decades. Even better than a vette, at least according to several Vette owners. And if you think your mustang interior is better in fit and finish and quality, I say your just bashing the GTO just to bash it.
3. Nice clean, sleek exterior styling. Don't need boy racer looks anymore. I'm no longer 20 yrs old.
4. Power. YES power. took my 6 speed GTO to a best so far in pure STOCK trim of 13.3@104mph Cecil County, MD. March 13, 2004

The GTO is not meant to compete with the lowly mustang. Not even in the same ballpark. Or compete with the not defunct F-body. This is truly a muscle car in the purest sense, that can compete with cars costing thousands more. You did see the review in Motor Trend where they compared the 2004 GTO to the Mercedes coupe costing twice as much? Pretty good review, maybe you should read it. I don't think you will see a Mustang compared to the mercedes, or a Camaro/TransAm or a Cavaliar or GP now will you? I didn't think so.

daveshapellSVT
04-22-2004, 04:54 PM
i'm gonna have to call BS on your 13.3 my friend.. just not gonna happen.. looks like you have something to prove.. post them timeslips...

daveshapellSVT
04-22-2004, 05:00 PM
and i'm not being a dick cause i'm jealous or am ashamed of a GTO being faster.. i just know that you didn't run 13.3 completely stock...

And as for those perks that make the GTO better than others cars...

i've been in a GTO the interior is ok, i wouldn't say its better than a mustangs..

And many car mags are dissapointed with the GTO.. As long as you like it and enjoy it thats what matters, just don't go acting like its the fastest thing on the road and it has no areas it could improve on.. we know you like the car cause you bought it, but you can be a little more open minded with other ppls opinions on the car..
Car and Driver review (http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=3&article_id=7360)
http://files.automotiveforums.com/gallery/watermark.php?file=/500/148400mach_gto_article.jpghttp://www.mach1registry.com/images/mach_gto_article.jpg

RedLightning
04-22-2004, 05:16 PM
actually all non biased reviews that ive read of the gto have been good and i dunno but how the heck can you say that "i've been in a GTO the interior is ok, i wouldn't say its better than a mustangs.."? i love mustangs and i like the new gto, and having been inside one of each there is no comparison of interiors the GTO wins hands down.

"but you can be a little more open minded with other ppls opinions on the car.." id like to see some mustang owners to be like that.

daveshapellSVT
04-22-2004, 05:26 PM
i'm open minded and i'm could with ppls thoughts on my car... This dude gets all pissy and cocky

RedLightning
04-22-2004, 05:30 PM
it wont let me see the vid, but i love seeing cocky dudes getting beat. "It doesn't look like the old goat. That's the harshest indictment we can make against this new Pontiac GTO. Yes, there are other, eminently fixable flaws with the Australian-built GTO, and we'll get to those shortly. But we're really struggling to invent reasons not to put both hands together for this supremely comfortable, rear-drive, all independently sprung, Corvette-powered, husky-sounding, highway-inhaling coupe."

wow you can tell they really hate it!!!(sarcasm) thats from the car and driver review.

daveshapellSVT
04-22-2004, 05:31 PM
If you read that article from mach1 registry you honestly know that theres no way a stock GTO can run 13.3.. i don't care if the article was writen by a ford associated site.. they had to fight hard to get that gto to run that 14 flat.. they even had to do some crap with the computer to make it faster! face it ppl it doesn't run low 13's! and if you can't prove it then stop talking crap.. the odds are against it running a 13.3.. all sources say it doesn't yet this dude says he ran a 13.3 stock.. post the slip then.. you don't see me taking smack unless i can back it up with facts.

Rod&Custom
04-23-2004, 06:32 PM
I am not much on it. The power is decent, still not REALLY exciting. The styling is in a word lame. I'm not just bashing it for something to do, but they really fell short of what is expected out of the GTO nameplate. And I don't really understand how you say that Mustangs and GTOs can't be compared? The have been a rival for a long time, and even now the 2003 SVT Cobra would put a total roast on the GTO. The Stangs are rated at 390 hp, right under the 400 mark for insurance, when really they run anywhere from 425-450. It doesn't look like the GTO was underrated for any reason, and if it was it is still very unlikely that it would be by over 100 hp :grinno: . I like the interior, but I wouldn't buy a car on interior only, and thats just about all that I am excited about. I would buy my car on performance & exterior styling, and I think that the Mustang would have to take my vote. Not much on restyled GPs sorry! :2cents:

daveshapellSVT
04-23-2004, 07:04 PM
yea, i would never buy a car just because the interior appears of higher quality.. personally i don't like the interior of the "GTO", it has bad lat support in the bucket seats, the back seat looks like its from a old cady.. theres enough room back there to have an orgy. and as for the dash, it looks totally european and i don't like that shit.. Lets face it the car was created by the holden branch of GM in australia.. when this car was dezigned there was no intention of calling it a GTO or even having it be thought of as one.. It's a car that was already produced and sold somewhere else.. Just because GM trys to fool us and take a car from overseas and trying selling it as a new GTO, doiesn't mean its worthy of the name..

daveshapellSVT
04-23-2004, 07:06 PM
I think its a sharp holden, just not a very good GTO.. you get where i'm comming from..

RedLightning
04-23-2004, 08:58 PM
i just find i hillarious that mustang owners are trying to bash the gto' interior!!!! i dunno if u guys are just blind to it but the mustang has a terrible interrior and the gto has the nice one.

daveshapellSVT
04-23-2004, 09:05 PM
explain to me why you feel the mustang interior is terrible?

I like the interior of my 99 Cobra, it's sporty.. Leather seats, great stereo, nice visible sporty gauge cluster, shifter is in a good place that feels comfortable... whats not to like?

I can understand if your opinion is based on the base model mustangs because they aren't supposed to have many options are dressy things.. Keep in mind the GTO only comes in one package. which is over priced australian car lol there is no base model here in the states.. But if your comparing a Cobra interior to a GTO interior the Cobra does not lack in quality.. anyways its a damn sports car not a lexus what do you care..

people always play the interior quality card when they can't make up an excuse for why ppl are bashing the car they like... ppl don't buy sports cars cause they have awesome interiors.. If your that anal go buy a mercedes or BMW.. meanwhile i'll kick your 50K+ cars ass at the track.. i guess if your gonna lose it might as well be in style... You sound like the type of guy that puts dubs on a ferrari lol

RedLightning
04-23-2004, 09:12 PM
http://members.cox.net/bost/images/mystic2/interior.jpg this pic is of a used one so its understandibly not in great shape but still.

http://www.pontiac.com/gto/gallery.jsp?brand=gto&pagename=models_prices

ill get more.

RedLightning
04-23-2004, 09:13 PM
on the gto one clik on any one of the interior.

RedLightning
04-23-2004, 09:15 PM
dang look at this pic of a modded gto its nice looking(on top on this page) http://www.motiontrends.com/2002%20opinion/m06/opinion/GM/GTO.htm

daveshapellSVT
04-23-2004, 09:17 PM
honestly i think the mustang interior screams serious sports car.. the GTO interior looks childish and clumbsy.. my interior for my mustang looks almost identicle to that mystic. minus the cluster above the center concle.. only thing i like about the interior of the GTO is the color sceme, but 50th anniversary mustangs have a simular color sceme as well..

RedLightning
04-23-2004, 09:17 PM
http://members.cox.net/bost/images/mystic2/interior2.jpg mustang back seat.

oh and this about the gtos bad seats from C/D "As sparse as it is of optional luxuries, the GTO's cockpit welcomes patrons with leather seating for four adults, detailed with elegant French seams and embroidered GTO logos. "The best seats in any GM product ever" were compliments regularly heard about the deeply bolstered, lumbar adjustable power front buckets. Put to the endurance test during a nonstop, 29-hour beeline to Las Vegas (see "Fear and Losing Near Las Vegas," page 60), the GTO's seats left backs feeling free of fatigue, tailbones coddled, and spinal nerves unruffled."

RedLightning
04-23-2004, 09:20 PM
The other camp won't miss the torture-chamber ergonomics, al dente chassis, or the numerous squeaks and rattles that started appearing at the 5500-mile mark.
from this sight http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupe/112_0402_up_cobra/index.html

from the mustang, i want to say taht i do love the cobra i just needed to clarify some stuff bout the gto, i totally know where you are coming from and i respect your oppion i will probaly shut up now. and now i am going to wacht 2f2f on starz b/c i need to laugh at some ricers.

daveshapellSVT
04-23-2004, 10:03 PM
http://files.automotiveforums.com/gallery/watermark.php?file=/500/148400Cobra10_photo2.jpg
http://files.automotiveforums.com/gallery/watermark.php?file=/500/14840050anniversaryCObra-med.jpg
http://files.automotiveforums.com/gallery/watermark.php?file=/500/148400SVT_gauges.jpg
GT aluminium interior
http://files.automotiveforums.com/gallery/watermark.php?file=/500/148400Mustang_GT_aluminuim_trim-med.jpg
To each there own, but the Cobras interior is deffinatly of quality also..

daveshapellSVT
04-23-2004, 10:17 PM
The only thing that i agree could use some updating is the light switch.. pull switches date back to the 1930's.. just make it a fucking button already!

http://files.automotiveforums.com/gallery/watermark.php?file=/500/148400Mustang_GT_aluminuim_trim_copy-med.jpg

RedLightning
04-23-2004, 10:59 PM
that first pic is frikin awsome i have to say, the mustang does have a nice looking interior, i have to agree with u on that.

daveshapellSVT
04-23-2004, 11:15 PM
i understang how some base model mustangs look chinsy though..people like this sometimes go unpunished!
http://www.mustangworld.com/ourpics/News/knotts04/images/IMG_1835_JPG.jpg

jon@af
04-23-2004, 11:32 PM
Actually, that doesn't look too terribly bad. But, that's just me...

RedLightning
04-24-2004, 11:06 AM
http://www.mustangworld.com/ourpics/News/select2911.htm this is different wont say if its cool or not...

RedLightning
04-24-2004, 11:07 AM
http://www.mustangworld.com/ourpics/News/05_mustang/images/mustangworld32_jpg.jpg this puts all past mustangs to shame.

how do you actually post them? some one told me but i forgot(instead of just a link)

nikivee
04-26-2004, 08:26 AM
i'm gonna have to call BS on your 13.3 my friend.. just not gonna happen.. looks like you have something to prove.. post them timeslips...

I already went thru this BS about a month ago with some who doubted it. I posted the timeslip over at ls1gto.com and ls1.com. Get over it. SLP turned 13.1 with their GTO, they claim stock. HPP(hi performanace Pontiac) got theirs to run a 13.5@105 with a 2.3 60's time. Get that down to 2.0 or lower and it's a low 13 second car.

Those that have gotten only 14's or very high 13's with their GTO's frankly can't drive or launch.

But here ya go sir. Remove spare tire and jack, lower rear tire pressure to around 20lbs. Go on idle, slipping the clutch and ease in the throttle quickly netted good 60' times and minimal wheelspin. Plus I dont' granny shift. I speed shifted at around 6000, went thru the traps in 4th gear. First run 13.6 second run 13.4.

Cecil County strip
March 13th, 2004

http://images5.fotki.com/v62/photos/4/42075/345270/timeslip-1-vi.jpg?1079439099

Car number 628.

daveshapellSVT
04-26-2004, 06:07 PM
thats pretty impressive.. Good times and good driving... I believe you now.. pretty sweet considering the vett runs 13.1 ish and your running 13.3 and your car weighs a little more.. very nice.. what do the GTO's use for stock rubber.. those 60' you are getting are good.. post some pics of your car i'd love to see it.

RedLightning
04-26-2004, 07:25 PM
dude, thats cool im with svt post some pics.

daveshapellSVT
04-26-2004, 07:54 PM
hey when does the 05 mustang GT start showing up in dealers?

RedLightning
04-26-2004, 07:59 PM
check in this http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=19&article_id=7691&page_number=1 i cant find out, i heard it once but dont remember...i think in the fall of this year, but i dunno.

RedLightning
04-26-2004, 08:01 PM
looooool notice the gto comercials on the web page

Ragtop_Renegade
04-26-2004, 08:29 PM
Thought I'd throw in my 2 cents... I think the new GTO is an ok car and all, but it's a real joke compared to the legendary powerhouse known as the GTO. Compared to the pic of a 69 "The Judge" convertible (the same one in my avatar, in fact :) ) there is not even a slight hint of any similar features between the 2. If they used the Tempest name I probably wouldn't have cared, but to call that plain boring car a GTO is a shame. Really, the engineering or marketing folks, whoever is responsible for picking the name, should be bitch slapped. HARD. I just hope they don't come out with some cheesy decal and wheel package next year and try and call it "the Judge". I might have a heart attack.

BLU CIVIC
04-26-2004, 08:33 PM
ok car...nothing like the original...i was watch the speed channel and they said that that same platform has been in use i think for the last 5 years which is why the car basically has no options and it will continue to be that way intil there is a design change....they talked about that car a lot and the only good thing really was said was about the power and a lil about the handling.....

IMO they shouldn't have let it look like ever pontiac they make

daveshapellSVT
04-26-2004, 10:43 PM
heres where i stand.. i like the car i think its sharp and it performs well, but its nothing like a real GTO.. my expectations are higher for a GTO name..

Otis Firefly
05-04-2004, 08:46 AM
Ya. shure its real nice. How about that GIANT hazard light button next to the vents! Man, that is pure UGLY! Come on the Firebird had the best of both body, interior and LS-1. GM built this car for the average shmoe as a family car with alot of power.So he can put his kids in the back seat and dream about the old days when he had a full head of hair and was getting trim everyday because he was driving an old 68'.

RedLightning
05-04-2004, 05:37 PM
lololololololololololololololol

Evo8MR
05-06-2004, 07:01 PM
Mustangs are piles of trash as is. Really, if your buying a Mustang your screaming "HEY LOOK AT ME, I have a Mustang just like the 50 others next to me! "

The next Mustangs coming out might be worth looking at. Maybe.

But as is, a new Cobra is what, close to 35 grand? For what, a ton of horsepower to make a mediocre low 13's quarter time and handling on the track that is simply poor.

Subaru with the STI and Mistu with the Evo 8 should be teaching Ford and GM a few lessons, considering the Evo 8 molests even the C5 and more than keeps up with the Z06, but the American car manufacturers simply are not listening.

Now, actually sell that 3 door Focus that was at SEMA with the 5.0L cammer, hell, I'd buy that.

RedLightning
05-06-2004, 07:06 PM
ummm you did not say a dang about the gto thats what thread is about. now this is whats called flame bait. Tell me what times the evo gets then tell me what times you think that the zo6 gets.

Evo8MR
05-06-2004, 07:42 PM
ummm you did not say a dang about the gto thats what thread is about. now this is whats called flame bait. Tell me what times the evo gets then tell me what times you think that the zo6 gets.

Evo 8 1320 in 13.1, Evo 8 MR 1320 in 12.7, Z06 1320 in 12.5

94GPSHAKER
05-06-2004, 10:37 PM
yeah i think the gto is pretty bad but just wait till they come out with aftermarket parts, it is just like the marauder wich can be suped up to 800 horses with less that 5 grand just imagine what they come out with for the gto. after you put a chip in lets say around 350 horses, supercharger 550. the body does kind of remind me of a gp but its just so hard looking. i saw at the auto show (detroit) that they had a optional package with 500 hp's does anyone know about that ?

94GPSHAKER
05-06-2004, 10:42 PM
by the way the evo is alright but it cost more than a gto, if im right the evo has allready suped up that little 4 banger as much as it goes factory, you couldnt even compete in pro modified unless you contacted the compant directly and put in a total of about 100gs into the sh!t kicker

Evo8MR
05-07-2004, 12:12 AM
by the way the evo is alright but it cost more than a gto, if im right the evo has allready suped up that little 4 banger as much as it goes factory, you couldnt even compete in pro modified unless you contacted the compant directly and put in a total of about 100gs into the sh!t kicker

Evo 8 03 model can be bought under MSRP at many dealers, approx 27k with TTL. MR is in JDM market at approx 33k US. Many Evo's, see www.buschurracing.com, www.worksrally.com, etc tune Evo's to produce up to 400 WHP on a AWD dyno.

10,000 in modifications, no NOS, will give you mid to low 11's on race fuel. 5,000 in mods will give you mid to low 12's on pump 94.

94GPSHAKER
05-08-2004, 10:12 PM
still thats only about 2 sec faster for a used car with 27,000 miles and 43,000 dollars doing 11's you could buy 4 factory grand national gtx's that do stock 11's. the 33k you said you could buy the used evo for you could buy a muscle car with like 650 horses. needless to say american muscle will allways beat all.

94GPSHAKER
05-08-2004, 10:14 PM
im sorry i meant grand national gnx

redgtosamurai
05-22-2004, 12:14 PM
Well I have to tell you, being a GTO owner I'll weigh in here and add my comments to those "non-owners".

The 2004 GTO will earn a lot of respect both on the street and the drag strip. It's already staking a claim as the flagship for the new American Muscle car. (sorry 'stang owners)

There's more interest in the GTO than the 'stangs at every level. Haven't seen a movie made about a Mustang yet but there's one coming out June 2nd on the USA Network about the GTO's (both old and new).

I've had my GTO for about 2 1/2 weeks now and it's everything I could have hoped for (and then some)! I may be an old fart and dream of the days of fast cars and fast women but this is the car to do it in!

I turn more heads on the Los Angeles freeways than any SVT 'stang. It won't take much to toss a SC under the hood and pump another 100 horses in the LS1 and THAT will exceed any stock SVT 'stang. There's other tricks that can be done to the GTO (Holden) that will heat up the horses to match SVT's but we'll reveal those at a later date.

I may be an old fart and dream of the old days of muscle cars but I'll tell you one thing... I can afford the toys now and the GTO will be headed into the shop for a new body kit, functional hood, and a few goodies tossed into the LS1.

The GTO is back whether you're ready for it or not! :iceslolan

supercharged gt
05-23-2004, 10:07 PM
i was excited abot it also i just cant used to the new look but from what i hear the judge will be returning with the judge look of yester year will have to wait and see

redgtosamurai
05-23-2004, 11:45 PM
i was excited abot it also i just cant used to the new look but from what i hear the judge will be returning with the judge look of yester year will have to wait and see

We all wish for a retro Judge. However, that's just a rumor and I doubt GM will design a whole new front end based on a late sixies style. It's not good to put all your eggs in one basket by presenting major and radical design changes the second year of release. :smokin:

RedLightning
05-24-2004, 09:17 PM
well we get a new platform in i thing 3-5 years so we could get a retro one relatively soon. But GM does not own the Judge name SLP does, which they will bring out a judge in a couple of years.

lakerfan1784
05-25-2004, 09:29 PM
If I am correct, the original GTO idea was to put a large engine in a cheap, small car (tempest). and that is exactly what GM did with this one. I think it looks like a cavalier and a grand prix, but oh well. Hopefully they will give it a significant mid-life facelift.

The interior is definitely an improvement over ANY GM car to date. If it wasnt so monotone it would appear much better. Just my :2cents:

Strider Negro
05-29-2004, 03:42 PM
If i'm not mistaken john delorean was the engineer who did that.

jetweb
10-22-2004, 09:09 PM
The car stands for the Raping of America.
Part of the outsourcing problem with and added misuse of a trademark and icon.

That is why the Chrysler 300C has the same problem.

Americans make the best muscle cars because they are the ones buying them.

Do they really think a guy in his middle ages will buy one of these and have to deal with everyone telling him they lost his job because of it?

Add your comment to this topic!