Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1994 Saturn sl Fan Motor Wont come on

Callahanrd
02-15-2004, 07:50 PM
Help.... changed fan motor and top sensor... fan still wont come on... what do I do.

bomexsaturn
02-16-2004, 08:46 PM
I am assuming you mean the cooling fan. Turn on your air conditioning and check to see if fan is coming on. If it doesnt, the check ALL fuses and relays, in the car and under the hood. If the fan does come on, then you may have the same problem i had. The temperature gauges in Saturns are designed horribly and they get knocked out of calibration, thus making u think that the engine is to hot, when it really isnt. My fan comes on right when the needle touches the red area of the temp gauge. I hooked up a diagnostic tester (which your local mechanic or auto parts store might have) and it showed that the fan came on between 110-125 degrees which is totally normal. The gauge was just not calibrated right and the only way to fix the gauge is to get a new one installed. (VERY hard),also u can get an aftermarket one. If this still doesnt solve your problem, keep in mind that there are 2 engine temperatue sensors, they are right below your intake next to the valve cover. Try replacing both. One goes to your gauge, and the other to your computer. I hope I was of some help to you, and let me know if it works!

WildsideCreations
03-14-2004, 01:55 PM
I have an overide switch and relay hooked up. It gets HOT in vegas in the summer and I just don't like the tempo getting so high. I have an overide switch that turns the fan on whenever I want. When the switch is off the engine controls the fan. Better for when your stuck in vegas traffic in 130 degree heat with ac on.

malcolm brumley
04-15-2004, 05:57 AM
It is possible that you may have replaced the gauge sensor instead of the fan sensor. The sensor calls for the fan and the relay connects the power to it. The relay and fuse are in the fuse box.

stonyhooty
10-31-2004, 09:53 PM
i had the same problem there is a sensor on the right side of the engine about half way down. i changed that, that is the cooling sensor for the fan. watch out when you take that out antifreeze will come out. dont know if that is your problem but i worked for me. bye.

d-i-yer
08-17-2006, 10:22 PM
I have an overide switch and relay hooked up. It gets HOT in vegas in the summer and I just don't like the tempo getting so high. I have an overide switch that turns the fan on whenever I want. When the switch is off the engine controls the fan. Better for when your stuck in vegas traffic in 130 degree heat with ac on.

How did you set up your over-ride switch. Nothing about cooling system in Chilton Manual. Ever hear of an ECT? What is this? Where is it?
Thanks for anything in return.

d-i-yer
08-23-2006, 09:02 PM
How did you set up your over-ride switch. Nothing about cooling system in Chilton Manual. Ever hear of an ECT? What is this? Where is it?
Thanks for anything in return.

I realize now this is a ... dead post. thanks for the info at least.

Add your comment to this topic!