Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

The ultimate scratch-build

Buddah
02-15-2004, 03:40 PM
talk about skill and patience!

this may be old or a repost but oh well:

http://www.beareyes.com.cn/2/lib/200402/06/20040206080_0.htm

SonyMobile
02-15-2004, 03:55 PM
...Speechless.

thats amazing.

It reminds me of that guy that made the scaled down ferrari, that actually ran...

2cv
02-15-2004, 04:01 PM
Holy Christ, and I tought I was a precise guy with my 1:87 Dübener Ei ...

Just t o be sure: do the doorhandles work? Do the headlights work? Does that engine work?

I wish I had all those tools ...

2cv
02-15-2004, 04:03 PM
...Speechless.

thats amazing.

It reminds me of that guy that made the scaled down ferrari, that actually ran...

With a real scaled-down Ferrari engine you mean? Got any pics/links?

ales
02-15-2004, 04:05 PM
Search for one of the older threads with "ultimate" as a keyword. There are some pictures as well as a link to a site with a video of the thing :) There are actually at least 2 threads on the subjects, and I certainly wouldn't mind if you brought up the one started by Guiddy once you find it.

krebs128
02-15-2004, 04:36 PM
that is simply amazing!!

TEM50
02-15-2004, 04:37 PM
That is truly a museum piece if I ever saw one. That is the level of miniature machining that I hope to attain for my own personal use. I am a machinist by trade (out of work due to a back injury) and I love working with these types of intricate models. Someday I am going to build a large scale (1:8th or 1:4rt) Pro/Mod car just for my own pleasure.

You ought to read about some of the guys in Joe Martin's book "Guide to Desktop Machining". One guy makes 1/6th scale machine shop tools that not only run but can do actual work. One guy featured began his career as a top model maker for a museum in Florida by practicing with his lathe and mill while at work as a 3rd shift causeway operator. Now he gets to play with some very sophisticated machining toys. Even if you never lay your hands on a Sherline or similar lathe or mill, you should get Joe's book....it is that good.

For those of you that are wanting to get into making molds and casting resin parts, I highly recommend "Secrets of Expert Mold Making and Resin Casting" by Wing Nut International.

Took a break from the workbench this afternoon to watch the Daytona 500. I am not a NASCAR fan by any stretch of the imagination but this was an annual ritual I shared with my late father, watching this race and the Indy 500 every year at his house. Sure do miss the man.....mechanic for nearly 75 years.....machinist.......welder......woodworker.. ..and raced HDs back in the 20s......a Damn good father.

Later dudes and dudlets.

Chris. :smokin:

2cv
02-15-2004, 04:48 PM
Search for one of the older threads with "ultimate" as a keyword. There are some pictures as well as a link to a site with a video of the thing :) There are actually at least 2 threads on the subjects, and I certainly wouldn't mind if you brought up the one started by Guiddy once you find it.

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=12492&highlight=ultimate

Of all the linbks that are there, only one is still working. And that link shows a bad page: the pics are removed from it.

ales
02-16-2004, 01:05 AM
2cv, sorry, didn't know that :( A google search on 1/3 Ferrari 312PB (built by Pierre Scerri) will give you a tonne of links too. I actually found a link to a video, but cannot verify it's the same one at this time, will post it later. Watch this space.

Here is a picture of the engine parts
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/pierre.scerri/images/pb3_m11.jpg

engine on a test bed
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/pierre.scerri/images/pb3_be11.jpg

labandabonnot
02-16-2004, 04:28 AM
What is the difference between modeling and Art? Well, here it is!...
Thanks for this link, which is to other links what Bentleys are to other cars: just another world...

spoolin12
02-16-2004, 04:28 AM
....plain skill....

flyonthewall
02-16-2004, 05:20 AM
Wingrove's stuff is very nice - http://www.wworkshop.net/index.html - He's been making these sort of models for many years now and quite famous around the world for it. He even has an MBE from the queen for services to model making! One of his pieces commands around $15000 USD.

You ought to read about some of the guys in Joe Martin's book "Guide to Desktop Machining". One guy makes 1/6th scale machine shop tools that not only run but can do actual work. One guy featured began his career as a top model maker for a museum in Florida by practicing with his lathe and mill while at work as a 3rd shift causeway operator. Now he gets to play with some very sophisticated machining toys. Even if you never lay your hands on a Sherline or similar lathe or mill, you should get Joe's book....it is that good.

Thats is a good book Chris. Highly recommended for anyone who wants to get into machining. Its the best book i've come across for this sort of thing.

2cv
02-16-2004, 12:41 PM
Do you also know a Dutch car-modeling book perhaps ?

KustmAce
02-16-2004, 02:08 PM
wow...simply wow

MPWR
02-17-2004, 11:03 AM
Beautiful work. I think the hardest things about a project like this are:

1. Choosing ONE CAR that you love enough to build, to the exclusion of all others, and,
2. Gathering the FREAKING MOUNTAIN of research materials necissary to recreate that car.

I do home machining, and believe me, the machining part is almost easy by comparison!

A Sherline lathe and mill do make terrific (if expensive!) suppliments to modelbuilding- but it's kind of a double edged sword. You scratch build suspension components, brakes, speakers, fire extinguishers, guages NOS bottles, etc., and a model that would have taken you two months slowly expands to twenty. My biggest problem tends to be reigning in my scratchbuilding, so I can actually finish something sometimes!

2cv
02-17-2004, 01:29 PM
You mean a 2cv ? ;) A simple car and I own one :D

ADVANFAN
02-17-2004, 05:45 PM
now that is a beautiful work of art!

Add your comment to this topic!