Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Manual transmission?

jbg
02-15-2004, 10:34 AM
All,

In regards to the 850R, T-5 and T-5R models, I was curious which had the manual transmission option? I seem to believe that that 850R and T-5 did, but not the T-5R. Is this correct?

Also, what kind of transmission is it? Who is the manufacturer of it? Thanks.

nismo4banger
02-19-2004, 01:12 AM
Are you in the US? If so, then no turbo 850's had a manual transmission. In Canada, you can find 850 R's and other turbos in manual, but even then it's rare. This is the very reason I bought an S70 T5, because they offer the turbo with a manual transmission. You can easily find a GLT or base 850 in manual, but that's it.

law195
07-28-2004, 03:30 AM
Are the trans swappable? Given the obvious add a clutch and linkage is it too much work or actually doable.

nismo4banger
07-28-2004, 10:31 AM
You can swap to a manual tranny. However, the automatic trannys are regulated by the ECU. So if you switch to a manaul, you will have to get an ECU from a turbo 5-speed Volvo. Or get your ECU remapped. Personally, I think it would be easier to sell a turbo Volvo and spend that extra money to get an S70 or C70 in a 5 speed.

YellowT5-r
08-01-2004, 02:37 PM
The difficult problem with the tranny swaps (as yes manuals were made available in all non-US markets) is the number of year and model specific variations - cabling and wiring in particular.

All of the 5 speed T5-r and R cars received an uprated 5 speed box which was modified to better deal with the increased performance of these models. The real jewel you want out of one of these cars is the viscous coupling limited slip differential that was used exclusively on the R and T5-r variants.....I'm still scouring the junkyards of the world in search of a donor car for my T5-r! :D As for reprogramming your ECU - well you could have the mods performed to make it function properly with the manual, and at the same time adopt a higher performance mapping. Probably more effort than you'd want to put into a garden variety 850 (though you can find a complete GLT with a manual for around 1700-2000 US, swap trannies, then sell your donor back off ^^)

Just a thought......

Add your comment to this topic!