Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

adding more speakers.

alphalanos
02-15-2004, 09:19 AM
i already have the stock locations in my car replaced, but i want to add maybe 2-4 more speakers. my question is how can u do this when the CD players are designed for 4 speakers? also how would u amplify it? with 2 amps (assuming there are 6-8 speakers.)

PaulD
02-15-2004, 02:49 PM
why do you want all those speakers ?

alphalanos
02-15-2004, 02:51 PM
well the two front speakers are down near your feet, and the rear are stuffed in the back near the glass so the imaging isnt all that great, i was thinking maybe some tweeters on the dash and maybe swap the 4's out for some 6.5's.

sr20de4evr
02-15-2004, 04:30 PM
You want 6-8 speakers and you're talking about wanting good imaging?

alphalanos
02-15-2004, 04:42 PM
Yes. Why do home theater setups have so many speakers? Its simple, if you have 10 people carrying something, each will be able to perform better because the load is divided up. Now if you only have 4 people, then they will be working extremely hard. Same with speakers.

GSteg
02-15-2004, 04:51 PM
they shouldn't have a gazillion speakers. Some of the world's best company only sets up about a few speakers. Usually a pair of tweeters, a pair of midranges, and a pair of midbass, and usually 1 subwoofer. Take a look at some of the B&W setups.

You're right about the work load, but as long as the speakers are in their linear operating mode, it won't matter. Too many speakers will ruin the imaging and that is not good when you want sound quality. A high quality speaker should be able to retain it's sound quality at high volume.

alphalanos
02-15-2004, 04:53 PM
youre right. but i just need i little more up front. im considering putting Eclipse 6.5 in place of my Boston 4's. then some Eclipse tweeters.

sr20de4evr
02-15-2004, 04:58 PM
Yes. Why do home theater setups have so many speakers? Its simple, if you have 10 people carrying something, each will be able to perform better because the load is divided up. Now if you only have 4 people, then they will be working extremely hard. Same with speakers.

True, but in a home theater setup all of those speakers are in the same spot, in the same enclosure, pointing in the exact same direction. This simply isn't possible in a car if you have that many speakers, at most you can have 2 pairs in a very large custom fiberglass door pod, any more and you have to do some weird placement, weird angling, and weird enclosures. When that happens you start getting interference and cancellation.

SilverJLEclipse
02-25-2004, 02:49 AM
i think he is considering like a component set 2 speakers per side here. What you should do is check out a pair of components for the front and coaxials for the rear, and a 4 channel amp to put some clean power to them!

Add your comment to this topic!