Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1978 LeSabre Fuel Line Fire!

ajbremer
02-15-2004, 08:28 AM
Important: My 1978 Buick LeSabre started on fire 2 days ago. Come to find out there was a hole in one of the fuel lines coming from the tank up to the motor. Seems like the people who engineered the car did a horable mistake or I'm missing something.

There are two of the three fuel lines that come up from the tank and they are almost pinched between the passenger side exhaust manifold and the car body. Right there is where one of the lines rubbed and a hole was created there. I'm not sure if something bent and the gap (if there ever was one) was closed. It's hard to believe that they ran the fuel lines that close to the exhaust manifold.

I wouldn't doubt that there have been lawsuites due to this matter. I searched the net and found lawsuite and recalls because of fuel lines running improperly but none specific to the LeSabre.

Would any of you be able to help me decide how to fix the fuel line? I cut the fuel line about 2 inches from the hole and removed a length of about 16 inches. I realize that I had better re-route the line away from heat sources but should I only use copper/steel line or can I take the easy way out and use gas resistant rubber fuel lines and hose clamps?

Any help here would be greatly appreciated. Any one else hear of anything on this matter? Please email me at: abremer@oklatel.net

al

Add your comment to this topic!