Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

on board diagnostics system?

dcindylulu
02-15-2004, 05:40 AM
I am looking for the on board diagnostics system on my 88 buick park ave electra 3.8? can anyone tell me how to find it and a quick run through on how to read it?

pcv
02-15-2004, 08:43 AM
The ALDL connector should be under the driver dash, if it is not there, then look under the dash between the passenger and driver side. There will be a little cutout that you need to pull out.
Using a jumper wire, (a cotter pin or a piece of mechanics wire and bend it into a "U" and jump terminals A & B (the 2 wires close to each other) and turn the ignition on. The check engine lite on dash will start to flash. The first three flashes will be 12 which is normal, and if there is any more codes stored, they will flash now.
To count the codes; 12 will be a flash, quick pause and two flashes, a bigger pause and will start all over again.
Good Luck.

dcindylulu
02-15-2004, 09:40 PM
Thank you so much for your helo, i got it figured out and i got the code 31 and code 42? i have been having trouble with my car turning over to start. all it does is click. i have full power and i seem to think that it may be the starter or the ignitions somthing. can anyone tell me what the codes mean or what could they be? also, do mechanics ever forget to "reset" the diagnostics system after they fix it? thanks i appreciate it!

brooster
02-15-2004, 10:48 PM
Code 31 refers to turbo wastegate overboost. On a Park Avenue?

Code 42 refers to open or grounded bypass or EST with the engine running.

Something doesn't sound right and I don't believe either are related to your problem.

First, remove your battery cables and make sure they are clean where they contact the battery. Clean the battery terminals if necessary. Reinstall the cables and tighten them securely.

Have the battery charged and tested, preferably with a capacitance type tester. Autozone and Advance will usually test your battery free of charge.

False codes can be set by a variety of circumstances. Removing the battery cable for 30 seconds will clear the codes.

Unless the code is directly related to starting of the engine, such as crankshaft/camshaft position sensor signal, don't be overly concerned with them.

Once the engine spins over (cranks) satisfactorily, it should start. If not, you must determine if the engine ignition system is providing spark and if the fuel system is working properly. If not, these things must be diagnosed.

pcv
02-16-2004, 09:30 PM
If the vehicle only clicks and does not turn over, you may have a weak battery and /or a bad starter. Follow the previous post and if that does not help, tap the starter ( below front manifold) with a hammer while someone is trying to start the vehicle. If it starts, replace the starter.
Let us know.

kaspr
02-19-2004, 11:14 PM
Does this on-board diagnostics procedure work on newer Park Avenues, such as a '95?

brooster
02-20-2004, 08:29 PM
Depends on whether you have the old style diagnostic system or the newer OBD II (On Board Diagnostics 2nd Generation).

If you have one near you, go by Autozone. They check codes for folks here for free as a courtesy.

Raul Lopez
02-27-2004, 10:46 PM
The ALDL connector should be under the driver dash, if it is not there, then look under the dash between the passenger and driver side. There will be a little cutout that you need to pull out.
Using a jumper wire, (a cotter pin or a piece of mechanics wire and bend it into a "U" and jump terminals A & B (the 2 wires close to each other) and turn the ignition on. The check engine lite on dash will start to flash. The first three flashes will be 12 which is normal, and if there is any more codes stored, they will flash now.
To count the codes; 12 will be a flash, quick pause and two flashes, a bigger pause and will start all over again.
Good Luck.

Do this work with OBD I coputer and OBD II conector?

kaspr
03-05-2004, 02:24 PM
no, it does not. You need OBD I computer w/ OBD I 12-pin connector, with wires in the A & B ports, that you can jump.

Add your comment to this topic!