Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Recall Alert, '96-'98 Regals

gonetobama13
02-14-2004, 09:31 PM
Hey All,

Just to let you know, I received a recall notice from GM in the mail today. Apparently, some '96 to '98 Regals have a condition where the lower pinion bearing in the power steering gear may separate, resulting in a loss of power steering when making left turns. GM says it will repair the problem for free and also reimburse the owner for any charges incurred if repairs have already been done. The fix takes about 2 hours.

John K.

Hypsi87
02-14-2004, 11:06 PM
Thanks for the notice. I think ill make it a stiky for awhile

SuperFudd
02-14-2004, 11:50 PM
GM also says in some cases the car will turn right when you try to turn left. More typical, left turns may have erratic power asist at slow speeds. Right turns will not be affected so it should not be a problem for us true right wing consevatives. ;>

Don '96 Regal

Flatrater
02-15-2004, 07:41 AM
Don't be worried about this recall! All GM recalls have to pass thur GM legal and the wording changes making it somtimes sound worse than it is. As a GM tech this recall is nothing new we have been doing it on several different carlines. I have changes at least 100 bearings and only seen a handful with bad bearings. Of these bad bearings none of them had a steering problem.

What is happening to this recall is some of the balls in the bearing can fall out of the race and in extreme situtations it can cause a bind in the steering.

Just don't panic the GM lawyers make it sound worse then it is. On the other side of the laywer language we have a recall on something the lawyers call "thermal event" another name for fire.

Jeromegerald
04-09-2004, 10:11 AM
Interesting-i own a buick 1996 regal custom and I have yet to receive a reply from GM concerning this problem. Can you give me an email address to GM so that I can inquire about this problem?

gonetobama13
04-09-2004, 11:55 AM
All,

I don't know why GM didn't send the recall notice out to all relevant owners because, besides Buick, it also affects some mid-sized Chevys, Olds' and Pontiacs. I wasn't given a recall number for you to refer to, but call your nearest Mr. Goodwrench and ask about it. As further proof, the recall was even listed in this May's Consumer Reports magazine on page 11. Hope this helps.

John K.

Zedster
06-05-2004, 09:11 AM
Folks, for those who haven't received the recall notice, here is the contact info from NHTSA's web site:

Make: BUICK
Model: REGAL
Year: 1998
Recall Number: 03V527000
Summary:
CERTAIN PASSENGER VEHICLES HAVE LOWER PINION BEARINGS IN THE POWER RACK AND PINION ASSEMBLY IN WHICH THE RETAINER TABS WERE NOT CRIMPED PROPERLY. THESE RETAINERS COULD FAIL AND PERMIT THE BALL BEARINGS TO ESCAPE.
Consequence:
IF THIS OCCURS, THE PINION SHAFT CAN BE FORCED UPWARD DURING LEFT TURNS AND BACK DOWN AS THE STEERING WHEEL IS MOVED BACK AND TO THE RIGHT. IF THE PINION SHAFT MOVES FURTHER, THE DRIVER WILL NEED TO EXERT MORE EFFORT TO TURN THE STEERING WHEEL, SIMILAR TO A VEHICLE WITHOUT POWER ASSISTED STEERING. IF THE PINION SHAFT MOVES EVEN FURTHER, THE DRIVER WILL REQUIRE MUCH HIGHER EFFORT TO TURN LEFT AND MAY NOT BE ABLE TO TURN THE WHEEL AS MUCH AS INTENDED. WITH THE MAXIMUM PINION SHAFT MOVEMENT, WHICH REQUIRES INTERNAL GEAR COMPONENT DAMAGE, THE DRIVER CAN ENCOUNTER HIGH RESISTANCE TO TURNING LEFT, FOLLOWED BY UNINTENDED POWER ASSIST TO THE RIGHT. IN ANY OF THESE CONDITIONS, A CRASH COULD OCCUR.
Remedy:
DEALERS WILL INSTALL A NEW LOWER PINION BEARING UNLESS INSPECT OF THE EXISTING BEARING INDICATES THAT REPLACEMENT OF THE GEAR ASSEMBLY IS NECESSARY. OWNER NOTIFICATION BEGAN ON FEBRUARY 5, 2004. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT BUICK AT 1-866-608-8080; CHEVROLET AT 1-800-630-2438; OLDSMOBILE AT 1-800-630-6537; OR PONTIAC AT 1-800-620-7668.
Notes:
GM RECALL NO. 03062. CUSTOMERS CAN ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION?S AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236).

Hope this helps!

wet architect
08-04-2004, 01:38 PM
I have a 1997.5 Regal LS and had the problem fixed a couple amonths ago. My steering was noticeably improved, however it seems to make a knocking noise from time to time on the sharp turns. And as of today, it won't start!

Add your comment to this topic!